Gun convergence

Decibel dB

I defy anyone to use those sights to determine the distance to a target within a bracket of 100 yards. Besides which, any turning target will require you to lead them, so what use is the reticule then? In addition, the closing speed of targets in combat means you really get them to fly through your beaten zone.

Nice to know, maybe, but to quibble over 50 yards in this context is a little crazy. The whole point of that number of guns, and that rate of fire is to get just a small percentage of them to hit and do critical damage. Snipers we are not!

You don't need for 100 yard, at that distance it fill the gunsight. You need it for the further convergence to judge your distance. I understand that it doesn't really matter for a Dora or a 109K since the guns are in the nose and it make the convergence not that relevant but is not the case on small caliber wing mounted guns where it's the bullets concentration that make the damage.

Edited by Decibel dB

So, 250 yards it appears to be.

It would still be nice to have some official confirmation just to keep my OCD at bay.:unsure:

This is important for me as I set the gunsight range to convergence distance, adjust the target wingspan/base ring and when the target fills the sight you know that it's trigger time.

Thanks for that spiffing little bit of information. Nicely done.

• 4 years later...
On 12/20/2016 at 7:31 AM, NeilWillis said:

Besides which, any turning target will require you to lead them, so what use is the reticule then? 

Anyone with a brain can draw imaginary lines/brackets from the reticle down to the target they're leading, just like drawing an imaginary line from someone's finger as they're pointing to something. Not that hard. 

• 8 months later...

I think ED responded to this topic multiple times already, this topic comes back regular. I think ED should create something like FAQ in this forum 😛 

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

21 minutes ago, grafspee said:

I think ED responded to this topic multiple times already, this topic comes back regular. I think ED should create something like FAQ in this forum 😛 

Funny, I read the forums a lot and have not seen a response to this topic re the Spitfire and not for the Mosquito either.  A link to a response would be gratefully received if there are so many responses readily available.  Thanks in anticipation.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

• 2 weeks later...