Stick Pitch Damper Cutoff Switch purpose/usage?

exnihilodub

Hi. What's the purpose of pitch damper cutoff switch on the stick? Is it just an easier way of switching the pitch damper to off position without looking at the left console, or does it have another usage? If it affects flight dynamics in another way, should I keep it pressed down while maneuvering? Thank you all for your replies.

The dampers aren't really meant to be played with in flight. For instance, they can't be re-engaged above a certain airspeed for fear of large control transients. That, and there's no real advantages to turning them off. They don't limit your control authority, just augment it a little.

The only time I can think you'd want to turn off the damper is if it malfunctions. The F-5 is very hard to maneuver precisely without it, as the airframe is not very stable at low angles of attack (nose wanders up and down).

Why they decided to put it on the stick, I have absolutely no idea. Good question!

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

i use it for really hard defensive breaks turns, but its a nightmare to handle the thing and i would imagine in reality it would over g the frame and effectively render the plane useless until after considerable maintenance. but it can really force an overshoot if used well.