500 Missions for the Huey

emolina

Hi everyone, long story short I made a thing that made 500 missions for the UH-1H.

The long story is here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=172869

This could be an interesting flight!

The 'Interesting Flights' system is a generator of sort-of-random missions aimed at making sure you never have to fly the same mission twice. They are interesting because you don't know what's going to happen in them. Every mission is different. The flight plan for each mission is generated just for that mission. There is no combat but there IS scoring.

The flight plan is complete, well annotated, and can be found on your kneeboard.

Below you will find the download link, there are 100 missions in the 'annotated' directory. Their filename gives you some clues about what will happen during the mission (format explained in the post linked above). There are 400 missions in the 'interesting' directory, they don't tell you anything except their difficulty.

You can tell the mission difficulty by their filename, the difficulty is the number after the 'D', it ranges from 1 (easy) to 10 (hard). The difficulty determines the mission weather, time of day, aircraft failures, mission type and destinations.

The message linked above explains the system, its goals, and what you will find in each mission. It's fairly long! I hope you enjoy it.

Mission Briefing

Look at the weather forecast on your kneeboard, then checkout the flight plan details.

The aim of these missions is to get the aircraft safely back on the ground, sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's hard, sometimes you shouldn't even fly.

Make sure there isn't anything wrong with your aircraft during startup.

You are not supposed to complete all the 'Interesting Flights', for many, you shouldn't even take off! A lot of the higher numbered flights are just not safe.

Make sure the weather and your aircraft are suitable. If not, download another flight. Or download a bunch of them in the first place so you can go trough them quickly.

There are plenty there, no reason to ever fly one twice. So don't, they are a lot more fun if you don't know what's going to happen.

Rotary Wing Notes

Helicopter missions are a bit more involved than the fixed-wing ones.

They are either personnel transport or sling loads with sling loads having random weights.

The difficulty of the mission you pick (the D number in the filename) will affect the KIND of missions you get too. Low difficulty missions have simple tasks, and as the difficulty ramps up so does the mission complexity.

The difficulty also determines WHERE the missions go to. At the lower difficulties you will get shorter flights to low-altitude destinations. At the higher difficulties flights can be longer and high-altitude destinations are a possibility. Difficulty still also affects weather, time, failures etc.

All the usual 'interesting missions' warnings apply, make sure you can do the mission given the weather conditions, because you have multiple destinations you will need to check the visibility at your different landing points. Use the provided NDB if needed. Landing point altitudes are provided in the flight plan.

PLEASE READ THE PDF PROVIDED IN THE UH-1H directory! It provides a backstory for the operation and explains procedures. I've tried to make it short and useful.

kneeboard_map.png

kneeboard_flight_plan.png

Briefing%20Cover.png

WHERE TO GET THE MISSIONS FROM

Please read the thread linked above if you don't know what this is all about! You can download the missions from a shared DropBox folder here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mzic1uoxnyofgm3/AADJTks7pN0nmj1CqpmqUy5oa?dl=0

• Like 1

I'm so gonna enjoy those! I enjoy flying workhorse missions, will fly all of them when I get a while :)

THANK YOU!!!!!

I just read the briefing, it's done exceptionally well! Really immersing, and nicely wrote overall. Can't wait for weekend!

EDIT2

Do you think it would be possible to generate a somehow random location of a victim to produce high volume of SAR missions, or CASEVAC/ MEDEVAC missions? I remember really enojoying flying these kind of missions in Search And Rescue series (SAR: Vietnam was ofc my favourite one ;)

Edited by Samek

[sIGPIC]http://i55.tinypic.com/21oydlx.jpg[/sIGPIC]

ヒューイ最高!o(≧∇≦o)

Whoa!

Thank you very much for doing something of this scale for the community! I'll make sure to check it out sometime. :)

Come join a passionate community of flight simmers everyday, live at

16hnv2f.png

PC Specs

Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.4GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7

Corsair Vengeance LED 2666MHz 32GB DDR4

H115i 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

EVGA GeForce 980Ti Hybrid (built-in liquid cooling)

EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+Gold

Samsung NVMe 950PRO M.2 SSD 512GBx2

Where is the pickup zone?

Great work! :thumbup:

I have a small problem though, I tried the very first, easiest annotated mission (Flight-0001 D01 TRNSPRT FARP TO A 1500H 10C CLD1-10 AT6200 TO6900 WND08 FRM130). but could not load troops. I called F10->F1->F1->F3 (Load standard group), but the response was

"You are not in the pickup zone". I tried this while landed, in various spots in the FARP where the troops should be loaded from if i understood the mission correctly. Where should i land to pick up the troops? I'm running the latest steam version of DCS.

Uke, I would like to do the Mi-8 BUT I don't own the module. I can do it without having it but testing it is difficult so I want to get the Huey done as well as I can, get all the bugs out first, then move over to the Mi-8 knowing I have a good foundation.

Черный Дракул, you nailed the next two things I want to do. I want to make them available in the web so I can iterate changes faster. Then look at how to slowly introduce combat. It's not easy to generate random combat missions that make sense.

Freebird, that last F3 should be an F1. You are loading troops that are already there (well, mortar tubes, it crashes if I make them troops, it's unrealistic at the FARP but there are static troops in all the other landing sites).

Uke, I would like to do the Mi-8 BUT I don't own the module. I can do it without having it but testing it is difficult so I want to get the Huey done as well as I can, get all the bugs out first, then move over to the Mi-8 knowing I have a good foundation

Cool. I don't have the Mi-8 (yet) but I'm sure you'll be able to find someone to help with testing once you get to it. Thanks again for all your work, this is great stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the latest dcs (steam) update might have broken these missions. I flew a couple of them two weeks ago, but after coming home and updating dcs via steam, the missions (for example the third annotated one) hang about two seconds after the mission has started. The whole dcs hangs, and windows terminates the process. Perhaps the scripts have an incompatibility with the latest dcs? I ran the "check the integrity of game cache" in steam, all ok. I'm able to fly other huey missions, just not these generated ones.

In the dcs log file, after MOOSE starts to run, there is an error: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at D957D787 00:00000000, and dump files are generated. If it's of help, i can upload the dump files.

Anybody else having similar problems?

I'm having the same issue with the non-Steam version :( I launch a mission and DCS crashes. I've only tried flights 1 & 2 in the Annotated directory though.

Thanks very much for all the work you've done though! Can't wait to give them a go.

Modules: UH-1H, Mi8, SA-342, Nevada

Controls: Pro Flight Trainer Puma, Saitek X52 Pro, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Razer Tartarus

PC: i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz, MSI Gaming X 1080, 32GB RAM, Samsung 950 Pro M2 NVMe

HMD: Oculus Rift CV1

• 2 weeks later...

They work! Thank you! These are going to keep me busy for a while :thumbup:

Modules: UH-1H, Mi8, SA-342, Nevada

Controls: Pro Flight Trainer Puma, Saitek X52 Pro, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Razer Tartarus

PC: i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz, MSI Gaming X 1080, 32GB RAM, Samsung 950 Pro M2 NVMe

HMD: Oculus Rift CV1

• 2 weeks later...
Great work! :thumbup:

I have a small problem though, I tried the very first, easiest annotated mission (Flight-0001 D01 TRNSPRT FARP TO A 1500H 10C CLD1-10 AT6200 TO6900 WND08 FRM130). but could not load troops. I called F10->F1->F1->F3 (Load standard group), but the response was

"You are not in the pickup zone". I tried this while landed, in various spots in the FARP where the troops should be loaded from if i understood the mission correctly. Where should i land to pick up the troops? I'm running the latest steam version of DCS.

Hey man, sometimes if i dont lower the collective all the way down after the touchdown i get the same thing. Maybe its cos of that.

• 3 weeks later...

After a few missions I learnt the area, so only use the briefing page to find out where to fly, and don't use the map (more realistic ).

I tried a level 10, picked up some troops, and whilst overflying base (on the way south) I got a chip detector. Being a cowboy, instead of landing I elected to continue to the troop drop of sight. I then got a hot transmission oil warning, quickly followed by an autorotation into a field. Great fun