RAF Air Publications

Wild Napr

Hey guys,

In anticipation for the Spitfire I've been searching around (to no avail) for free copies of RAF Air Publications that would presumably have been part of the training syllabus for RAF pilots.

I found the Spitfire IX pilot's notes linked in another thread here, but I was wondering if anyone knew where to find the following documents? All I have found are inaccessible links on dead forums.

Spitfire IX Pilot's Notes (link below)

AP 2095 Pilot's Notes General (link below to part I & II)

AP 129 Flying Training Manual

AP 1234 Navigation Handbook

Only 3 sleeps until the Spitfire!!! :pilotfly:

Cheers

Edited by Wild Napr

Hey guys,

In anticipation for the Spitfire I've been searching around (to no avail) for free copies of RAF Air Publications that would presumably have been part of the training syllabus for RAF pilots.

I found the Spitfire IX pilot's notes linked in another thread here, but I was wondering if anyone knew where to find the following documents? All I have found are inaccessible links on dead forums.

AP 2095 Pilot's Notes General...

Only 3 sleeps until the Spitfire!!! :pilotfly:

Cheers

Ask and here it is...A.P. 2095 Pilot's Notes General, 2nd ed, April 1943...Part I: General Flying and Part II Engines and Propellers

Note that this booklet was originally issued to an operational Spitfire VIII pilot of 92 Sqn: as such, I'm being ultra-careful scanning this unique historical document, to prevent more than the usual wear and tear inflicted over 70 plus years; this means that some pages won't be reproduced as clearly as I would like.

A.P.2095 Pilot's Notes General 1943 a.pdf

A.P.2095 Pilot's Notes General 1943 b.pdf

Edited by Friedrich-4/B
Something went haywire with the uploaded documents; now fixed
  • Like 3

You can get an excellent re-print of the original Mk 1X Pilot's Notes from Crecy Publishing, UK for about £5 if my memory serves me right. Address is Crecy.co.uk.

It is a very authentic 40+ page reproduction of the genuine article, and as one who learned to fly in the RAF in the 1960s, it looks to me just like the sort of booklet that was issued for carriage in the knee pocket of the RAF-issue flying suit of that time.

I am not sure of the legitimacy of publicising commercial organizations, but Crecy are a good source of thousands of aviation books, including dozens of similar reproductions of original pilot's notes of this sort.

You can get an excellent re-print of the original Mk 1X Pilot's Notes from Crecy Publishing, UK for about £5 if my memory serves me right. Address is Crecy.co.uk
Yep, really good quality, still easy to find, and cheap. I got mine for 2£ + 2£ postage, I don't think downloading and printing it could be cheaper.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I know not exactly what you want, but here is AP 15651, which is specific pilot notes for the Spitfire Mark IX.

It says that these notes are complementary to AP 2095. Happy reading.

Spitfire IX, XI XVI.pdf

Achieving World Peace - One 2000lb JDAM at a time.

Intel i7 9700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz , ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI OC, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S.

~

Proud Member of the 62nd Fighting Falcons

~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just want to give a big thanks to everyone for their replies, especially to Friedrich and Buckram for uploading those documents! This is my first post on the ED forums and it was heartwarming to get such a positive response so quickly.

AP 129 remains elusive unfortunately, and from what I can gather this was this big resource text on everything from basic airmanship to combat doctrine. There are digital copies being sold on ebay, but I was hoping someone would be able to share it for free. If I do end up with it, I'll be sure to share it with you guys!

Cheers

Yes, AP129 was the RAF's pilot's bible. It came in two volumes, one about 3"-4" thick, and the second about half that size. It was certainly comprehensive but would be well out of date by now. I certainly wish I had kept mine. If I remember rightly the Nav's bible was AP 2345, and came in rather more, thinner volumes.