Utilizing 2 Seat Functionality

viperdogsnake

I've done a little, although only a little.

What I can say straight up front is, that training BFM and formations, as well as giving the rear seat responsibility for navigation or observing-type tasks will most likely give you the best benefits. The former two requiring a pilot with enough experience and proper training methods to teach from the back seat.

The two latter options ease the pilots workload significantly, although at the moment IFR-navigation is solely on the shoulders of the front seat pilot. But cross-country type low altitude VFR-navigation works well from the rear seat, or trying to spot traffic from back there (not to mention keeping eyes on target so that the front seat pilot doesn't need to padlock while maneuvering).

There might be other benefits, but as said I haven't really tested it thoroughly yet.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

• Like 1

DCS Finland | SF squadron

I've done a little, although only a little.

What I can say straight up front is, that training BFM and formations, as well as giving the rear seat responsibility for navigation or observing-type tasks will most likely give you the best benefits. The former two requiring a pilot with enough experience and proper training methods to teach from the back seat.

The two latter options ease the pilots workload significantly, although at the moment IFR-navigation is solely on the shoulders of the front seat pilot. But cross-country type low altitude VFR-navigation works well from the rear seat, or trying to spot traffic from back there (not to mention keeping eyes on target so that the front seat pilot doesn't need to padlock while maneuvering).

There might be other benefits, but as said I haven't really tested it thoroughly yet.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

Thanks for the info, all our training is strictly single seat based training with the front seater doing everything with appropriate instructor inputs, 99% of the time verbal only. I'll have to see how much info is mirrored in the back so far.

on

Thanks for the info, all our training is strictly single seat based training with the front seater doing everything with appropriate instructor inputs, 99% of the time verbal only. I'll have to see how much info is mirrored in the back so far.

Key problem with the Hawk at the moment is, that in multiplayer the rear seat is pretty much cold, so you might want to wait until the functions have been added back there. That said, considering focus on flying and disregarding operating the aircraft, you have a brilliant view from back there for teaching close formation and basic fighter maneuvering. This could also be expanded to VFR traffic cirquit teaching, although you might want to see what the student is doing with his/her switches.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

Key problem with the Hawk at the moment is, that in multiplayer the rear seat is pretty much cold, so you might want to wait until the functions have been added back there. That said, considering focus on flying and disregarding operating the aircraft, you have a brilliant view from back there for teaching close formation and basic fighter maneuvering. This could also be expanded to VFR traffic cirquit teaching, although you might want to see what the student is doing with his/her switches.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

Just an FYI, if you start in the air, the rear systems are mostly alive, ADI, Altitude, HSI compass card, Etc.

Nav radio dependent gauges aren't however like the beam bar for ILS/TACAN as the rear seat at the moment isn't reading what's been set in the front.

Just an FYI, if you start in the air, the rear systems are mostly alive, ADI, Altitude, HSI compass card, Etc.

Nav radio dependent gauges aren't however like the beam bar for ILS/TACAN as the rear seat at the moment isn't reading what's been set in the front.

For interests sake, how does that translate to gyro error while maneuvering? I've noticed the old gyros have a tendency to roam a bit (as they would in real life). I assume this translates to the rear seat as well, but can you erect the gyros if they roam at the moment?