How to uncage back-up ADI

kashmir

Alright...I'm ready to receive my verbal barrage.

I can't figure out how to uncage the back-up ADI. When I scroll on the knob I can adjust the artificial horizon reference. When I left click the button presses but nothing happens. I have also tried turning while pushing the knob with no luck.

What's the trick?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't know.. but horizon secours means back-up horizon. Maybe the hud use a backup horizon ?

This has been stated somewhere in this forum, iirc backup ADI has it's own gyro, and HUD is using it instead of the SEC mode of INS.

edit: found it:

Hmm. I don't know about the heading. I'll check on that. But at this time you can't. If it should do that, then I will make the change.

There is an AUX CAP switch by the TACAN. It is a 3 position switch.

A (Off) - AUTO - MAN

In Auto, it automatically connects an independent magnetic gyro to provide attitude and heading data to all INS controlled instruments in case of INS failure.

in Man, it overrides the INS and sends attitude and heading data to the INS controlled instruments.

INS controls the following instruments:

- HUD

- VTB

- Main ADI

- HSI

Aux ADI has its own independent gyros and can only provide attitude not heading.

When the AUX CAP is sending signals to the instruments an HORIZON SECOURS warning will appear in the HUD.

Edited by PiedDroit