Manston air show 1990

Coxy_99

• 2 weeks later...
Is it just me or were airshows better back then?

Not just you mate......I think they were better back then, way better.

Less restrictions on the display and a LOT more variety of aircraft. Just looking at that video first 10 mins or so, the Buccaneer....gone, the F-4 Phantom....gone, the Vulcan.....grounded.

They are not what they were for sure. I spent 3 years at RAF Leuchars working on VAS (Visiting Aircraft Section) - my first tour in the RAF in the late 80's, and we organised all the handling of the aircraft on air show days. It was great, I got to work on all sorts of stuff from all nations, I still have a box load of aircrew embroidered patches for different squadrons, must have a hundred of them.

Defence cuts are one of the main reasons, the variety of different aircraft just isn't there anymore in the RAF alone, a mere fraction of what was in service when I was in.

Also insurance companies have their say too on what they are allowed to do now. Air shows are still a fantastic day out but they are now somewhat toned down affairs.

For me the BEST air shows now are the Duxford ones, BoB and Flying Ledgends....awesome. Where else can you see 20+ Spitfires doing an aerial ballet that brings a lump to the throat every single time I see it.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Just in general we got to go to the last airshow and yes they were far better in them days less health and safety i think enjoyed these as a kid i remember lines of cars for a couple of miles getting in was boiling hot to no air con in them days great sounds to :)

Not just you mate......I think they were better back then, way better.

Less restrictions on the display and a LOT more variety of aircraft. Just looking at that video first 10 mins or so, the Buccaneer....gone, the F-4 Phantom....gone, the Vulcan.....grounded.

They are not what they were for sure. I spent 3 years at RAF Leuchars working on VAS (Visiting Aircraft Section) - my first tour in the RAF in the late 80's, and we organised all the handling of the aircraft on air show days. It was great, I got to work on all sorts of stuff from all nations, I still have a box load of aircrew embroidered patches for different squadrons, must have a hundred of them.

Defence cuts are one of the main reasons, the variety of different aircraft just isn't there anymore in the RAF alone, a mere fraction of what was in service when I was in.

Also insurance companies have their say too on what they are allowed to do now. Air shows are still a fantastic day out but they are now somewhat toned down affairs.

For me the BEST air shows now are the Duxford ones, BoB and Flying Ledgends....awesome. Where else can you see 20+ Spitfires doing an aerial ballet that brings a lump to the throat every single time I see it.

I agree on the variety, Jaguar hawk Tornado, Harrier, and looking there seeing the F-111. I remember seeing it turn up at North Weald once. My god it was loud. The aircraft just seemed to go on and on forever. Last couple of visits to the RIAT and hate to say it but have driven home feeling unfulfilled. The aircraft turn up but the flying participants always seem to be lacking. Especially from the USAF or US Navy. The US Navy should maintain a Tomcat and a Hellcat for heritage reasons. ( I know it won't happen) That would keep me happy.

Have to say the Flying Legends I always have enjoyed, as I've got older I love seeing the warbirds.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV