FIX for buttons and knob inconsistencies

I have fixed most of the buttons and knobs that were turning the wrong way or wrapping around. I updated the Excel sheet I made in the original bug post with the results.

This is the following file in the DCS installation directory:

Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts\clickabledata.lua

It has been tested in DCS version 1.5.5.59992.205, but it seems that the current version in alpha 2.0.4.59428.142 is pretty much the same. I haven't tested it in the alpha version!

There are a few switches I'm not sure about, like the push/pull convention (see original thread), in circuit breakers and cage/uncage, or other similar switches that don't really behave as the convention, but still in a "familiar way" for better way to put it. If you test it, you can always revert with a repair, but please keep a backup of the original file first.

I also hope it won't disturb those who were already more or less familiar with those inconsistencies, but at least now you should know what to expect when clicking on any 3-way button, and not have a bad surprise with those wrapping around!

UPDATE: v02

Fixed a few remaining, less important switches. There are still a few, like the IFF test and reply switch/rotating switch combo which turn the wrong way, but I don't think they're used very often.

If someone finds something I missed and would like me to give it a try, let me know :) And if someone has the patience to use the fix in a few missions and report whether it's OK or not, that'd be great too.

I've tested the result in a simple cold start / runway start mission, and in the "start-up" training mission, and found no problem; it's a pleasure to have something straight and not have to wonder which mouse button to click!

Note: The Excel sheet shows which have been changed, check the "status" column.

UPDATE: v03

Merged with modifications of DCS 1.5.6.1340.230 / DCS 2.0.5.1648.165.

I hope it's integrated at some point to avoid those merges and multiple versions, this is getting awkward...

The original file (renamed clickabledata.orig.lua) is in the archive as well, for comparison or restore in case of problem.

The mod can be found here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2268038/

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• 2 weeks later...

Never noticed this before, will have to have a look tonight. But from memory all the switches that I use were always consistent within the context of where my head is looking? E.g, if I turn my head to the left side of the cockpit then mouse LEFT/RIGHT becomes DOWN/UP - if I turn my head to the right side of the cockpit then mouse LEFT/RIGHT becomes UP/DOWN? I've probably trained my brain to do this without thinking.

i7-4790K@4.7GHz : EVGA 1070 SC : 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro : 2xEVO 840 SSD : EVGA 850W PSU : CORSAIR H100i Cooler : ASUS Z97-AR MB : CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D FULL TOWER

Oh wow thanks. Consider publishing this to the Mod section as well for greater visibility.

I can't seem to find the Excel though.

Good idea, I'll do it.

I downloaded it from here and checked but the Excel sheet is in the zip file, perhaps it's blocked by an anti-virus? I can produce a few screenshots if that helps :)

Never noticed this before, will have to have a look tonight. But from memory all the switches that I use were always consistent within the context of where my head is looking? E.g, if I turn my head to the left side of the cockpit then mouse LEFT/RIGHT becomes DOWN/UP - if I turn my head to the right side of the cockpit then mouse LEFT/RIGHT becomes UP/DOWN? I've probably trained my brain to do this without thinking.

I meant "consistent" in the sense of the linked thread, Derelor showed the general rules for switches. For example, a 3-way switch will go up with a right click, and down with a left click when it's vertical. Or obviously, right / left with respectively a right/left mouse click.

It should be consistent within one module, to avoid confusion (like now in the A-10C, though ultimately you get to know which goes which way), and across modules to keep the whole sim logical - and to avoid fits of schizophrenia ;)

So nothing to do with the direction of sight.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Ah, good. Here are the pdf, just in case, perhaps it's easier for some.

Let me know what you think, whether it helps or not.

Normally it's been attached to the bug report, I have no idea when it will actually be integrated (I'm a little concerned that it will become incompatible should the module be updated at some point).

cockpit_sw.1_left.pdf

cockpit_sw.2_front.pdf

cockpit_sw.3_right.pdf

It should be consistent within one module, to avoid confusion (like now in the A-10C, though ultimately you get to know which goes which way), and across modules to keep the whole sim logical - and to avoid fits of schizophrenia ;)

Yeah, I see your point.

i7-4790K@4.7GHz : EVGA 1070 SC : 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro : 2xEVO 840 SSD : EVGA 850W PSU : CORSAIR H100i Cooler : ASUS Z97-AR MB : CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D FULL TOWER

I've put that in the DCS user files section.

I see that 2.0.4 has exactly the same file, so it should work in the alpha branch too.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Apparently works for 1.5.6 update 1 (1.5.6.3690.269).

Sadly I don't think ED will ever take this fix, so we'll have to go on patching the A-10C after each update.

• 1 year later...

Works with 2.5 OpenBeta last update

Thanks, this is just..mandatory ;)

System specs: Win10 x64 | i7-9700KF / i9-12900KF | 48/64 GB | GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / RTX 3090TI 24GB | *NvME PRO 2To | HOTAS Warthog/Virpil | MFG Crosswind Pedals | Button Box

Glad it helped :)

I just dusted off the A-10C and was getting crazy because of all those inconsistent switches, I haven't patched it up since 2.0.

• 6 months later...

Hay Redglyph,

I'm not sure but as I can remember, I think the CMSP is still off, even with your mod applied. With your Mod, LMB supposed to mean switch down, and RMB would be switch up. If I right click on the 3-position system select switches, they behave as they would be switched downwards, but being down already, they are jumping immediately in the uppermost (Menu) position. While if I simply left click them, they are switched one notch upwards to On. I hope I did not miss anything...

Hay Redglyph,

I'm not sure but as I can remember, I think the CMSP is still off, even with your mod applied. With your Mod, LMB supposed to mean switch down, and RMB would be switch up. If I right click on the 3-position system select switches, they behave as they would be switched downwards, but being down already, they are jumping immediately in the uppermost (Menu) position. While if I simply left click them, they are switched one notch upwards to On. I hope I did not miss anything...

The only problems I fixed in the CMSP are

- the "Master CMS Mode Select" was not stopping at min/max

- the "Jettison Countermeasures" was not responding to right click

If you don't want those 4 system switches to jump up from the bottom position, just use the left-click, this has the advantage that the right-click only does one function, the top one, and the left click does on/off, which you probably don't want to use by accident.

I know it's not entirely logical but I think it's a limitation of the current function: the right-click is mapped to a spring switch, the left click is mapped to a 2-position switch.

Anyway, sorry but I'm not going to spend time trying to change anything, given this patch will never be integrated by the dev team and I'd have to maintain it with every change.

Glad it helped!

There were rumours of revamping the Hog, hopefully ED will address those issues once for all at the same time. Perhaps they need a little encouragement though ;)

• 11 months later...

The cockpit has been remade in DCS 2.5.5.41371, however the bugs described here are still there, so 3 years after I provided the patch (which would take virtually no time to integrate).

So much for the support, thanks a lot...

It seems the original buggy file from DCS hasn't changed with the new cockpit, so the same patch should be applicable.

I haven't tried myself, with the lower performance it's the final blow to my PC. Seeing how they ignore this bug, I'm also less motivated to fly the A-10C to find out.

• 1 month later...

Oh oh so there are people talking about this similar thing I was just figuring out, I wondered about the knows for a long time but I guess it wasn't that big for me to come out looking.

Seems like there's quite a bunch of these inconsistencies going on, beyond of what my main issue seems to be.

So I'm not sure yet what inconsistency it's meant, but to me why I came looking for this is because there seems to be this rule that all knobs would rotate to right with right mouse button and to the left with the left button, so I was thinking perhaps it was intended that way and may not be considered a bug. I just happen to not be a fan of this behavior so I propose there could be an option for this to behave differently, or at least a workaround if I can mod myself, just like there's a mod in this thread.

I'm going try this mod, and get to know how clickabledata.lua works.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 2 months later...

It's funny, I'm just moving on to the FA18 and it struck me that some switches did this, I suppose I've been in the A10 too long and didn't notice.

What I'd really like to do is put a delay on the stores emergency jettison button. Is that easy to do it's on line 630 of the clicabledata.lua but I wouldn't have a clue if it's possible.

• 8 months later...