Hawk FiAF grey livery is still in need of some work

MikeMikeJuliet

Hello VEAO!

I'm very thankful for the Finnish Air Force liveries for the T1A Hawk in DCS, and they were retouched a bit on the last Hawk patch, but the grey livery is still off.

I took a real life image that I believe represents the properties of the livery adequately and recreated the same lighting and angle for the light and camera as closely as I saw necessary, and my results are in the two pictures attached.

The DCS livery looks darker and still shines too much. The darkness, I believe is actually due to the shiny finish, and not the base color. As seen in the comparison picture of the real thing, you can see the sunlight really doesn't reflect off the aircraft at all, rendering the aircraft light grey with lighter areas at where the sunlight sheen is most prominent to the camera, and a little less so on other areas. Much like a an old asphalt road would look like.

Just to be sure, although I don't have any screenshots now for that, is that if you look at the aircraft's wing from very shallow angles, you can see a vague mirror reflection of other objects. I've seen the thing a thousand times IRL from close up and far away, and it never does that.

I let the pictures speak for themselves.

On the other note, I feel the Mk66 red-white ex-swiss camo and the green-brown old Mk51 camo are quite close to reality. The ex-swiss livery is rather reflective, and the gree-brown livery would be approximately half way of the other two.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

FiAF_Hawk_grey_RL.png.2456b1aae9b6196818c0c96387d632d9.png

FiAF_Hawk_grey_DCS.thumb.png.8e3f72bbbeb52b98c807706fdc4edc4a.png

DCS Finland | SF squadron

I think I got it now... Left plane with old specular layers and on the right side the new layers.

The other picture shows the difference on one plane (only fuselage after wings has new layer).

That appears much closer to the real thing! The rest might just be more about actual lighting effects and the game's render engine more than anything else.

On a side note, if you take a look at the canopy on each of the pictures, you can quickly see that the DCS Hawk has a blue/turqoise tint to the canopy. The actual thing really doesn't have that. Also the canopy seems to reflect the sun as a long streak in DCS, when in the pictures you can see the reflection as more like a single spot on the glass. Don't know if this is an issue with EDGE itself, or something you can tweak on your model.

Btw, thank you very much for the response!

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron