HOTAS configuration for countermeasures and weapon selection

coach

Hello,

I am very new to this module and am still trying to figure out an optimal HOTAS configuration for my T-Flight Hotas X.

One problem I'm having is with countermeasures. I can't find a way to simply allocate to 2 buttons (say 4 and 3+4) a "1 flare" and a "1 chaff" programs. I can map the "panic release program" and "decoy release program" to some buttons but only the later can be set to "flares only" or "chaffs only" programs. Since we have a limited number of countermeasures, I'd rather avoid waste.

The indirect alternative is to assign some buttons to the countermeasure program selector, and then one to "decoy release program", but that's not very optimal. Is this what experienced dcs pilot do ?

Also, I read some old topics discussing the easiest way to select the various A2A weapons. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't a simple "weapons cycle selector" button, right ? So far, I have just mapped the cannon, magics and 530 to buttons 7,6 and 5 respectively. Same question: is this what most users do or did I miss a more compact configuration?

Hello :)

I can't find a way to simply allocate to 2 buttons (say 4 and 3+4) a "1 flare" and a "1 chaff" programs.

You can't do that on the real aircraft... and you can't do that simply in DCS.

I mapped the two release buttons (program and "panic") and I select which program I need with the mouse (selector). "Panic" is there if I'm surprised by an un-anticipated attack.

Also, I read some old topics discussing the easiest way to select the various A2A weapons. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't a simple "weapons cycle selector" button, right ? So far, I have just mapped the cannon, magics and 530 to buttons 7,6 and 5 respectively. Same question: is this what most users do or did I miss a more compact configuration?

I mapped to be as close to RL as possible.

1/ Using the boat switch of my Warthog for the 3-position selector: AA Guns/Neutral (PCA)/Magic

2/ When in Neutral (PCA), using my mouse to click on PCA buttons for other weapons or options.

On a more global note:

Why not trying to use the aircraft as it was meant to be? It's not a FC3 module. ;)

++

Az'

spacer.png

I see, thanks for the reply.

Why not trying to use the aircraft as it was meant to be? It's not a FC3 module. ;)

True, I probably shouldn't bring my "FC3 playstyle" into the mirage... but my joystick doesn't have as many switches anyway, so I need to make some changes. At least until I can afford the warthog! :joystick:

For the mirage I would says that the HOTAS X has enough button, with 1 modifier you can map all the hotas buttons.

(Get the warthog anyway, I owned a HOTAS X before and since I bought the warthog my life have change. Note that a track-ir is more important and that you will need rudder peddals.)

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

The thing is, if you are willing or able to use the mouse or the keyboard for some things, then you should not have that many buttons to use on your HOTAS.

Here are all that is used in the real Mirage 2000C, per the manual. I put them in decreasing order of necessity (my own opinion there):

- Weapons release (1 button)

- TDC (4-way hat)

- Target lock-unlock (2 buttons)

- Close Combat FWD/AFT (2 buttons)

- Countermeasures (3 buttons)

- Airbrake (2 buttons)

- Weapons selection (3 buttons

- A/G Designate/Magic slave (1 button)

- Trim (4-way hat)

- NWS/IFF (1 button)

- Antenna elevation (2 buttons)

- Magic Unlock (1 button)

- Autopilot standby (1 button)

- Autopilot disengage (1 button)

- Mic switch (2 buttons)

- Police light (1 button)

Total: 31 buttons (including 2x4-way hats, not counting them you got 23)

Now you may want to pass on some of them to assign Radar Range decrease/increase (2 buttons) and Countermeasure programs next/previous (2 buttons), depending on your preferences.

Also, if you have access to your keyboard, it can be more efficient for some semi-urgent commands than the mouse (for example, operating the PCN, PCA or Radar settings).

Edited by Robin_Hood