Homemade Pedals

Hello Everybody

Would like to show you results of my efforts in creation pedals.

Details:

MagRes KMZ41 (thinking about replace them with TLE501x)

STM32F103 with builtin 12 bit ADC: STM32F103C8T6

Works on windows and uses default HID joystick driver.

See attached photos.

DSC_0161.thumb.jpg.766517b84aac1ea58e3857a082eac3d5.jpg

DSC_0164.thumb.jpg.6563cb3aded81f9fc9379983710be5bf.jpg

DSC_0167.thumb.jpg.31abdf2736267a69e725d29332eed443.jpg

DSC_0171.thumb.jpg.6bec3fb949b3a33c0eb5d1719a360f2b.jpg

DSC_0166.thumb.jpg.acd7bb1444050ca9a036e28d0ea936d6.jpg

corner-bearing-construction.thumb.JPG.ba00cbbab20da7d15c01a195f80b2f07.JPG

corner-bearing-construction-draw.JPG.a990079311f78c028b3e83a026f73a28.JPG

Edited by pervoliner
where to buy contoller
  • Like 1

Looks great your work. That kind of the thing that is really doable at home... and for sure it looks sturdy too. I like it very much.

Thanks! This trapeze is made form salamander PVC metal profile.

It is very strong. in each corner I used a bearing and put this bearing in a handmade aluminium pillow block.

I love these home engineering projects. Nice work buddy!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Very, and I mean *VERY* nice work!!

Thinking about this myself; I appreciate the inspiration :) I'm too cheap/broke/sensible to spend more money on a decent set of rudder pedals than my entire computer is worth; the inexpensive commercial ones are dreadful, the good ones are outrageously expensive--Homebrewing seems just the ticket for this sort of deal.

My build will probably use more plywood than metal, I like taking the easy way out when it comes to materials :)

Peace

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

My build will probably use more plywood than metal, I like taking the easy way out when it comes to materials :)

If you use hardwood and ball bearings in pivots you get a good result.

Pillow block bearings is cheap in Aliexpress or eBay.

Edited by Sokol1_br

If you use hardwood and ball bearings in pivots you get a good result.

Pillow block bearings is cheap in Aliexpress or eBay.

I've actually built a couple sets of really nice pedals w/ toe brakes before, and ball bearings are completely unnecessary. Lots of people like to use them but they just aren't needed. Hardened dowel pins (like the kind tool & die makers use) and plain bushings work great, have no perceptible drag, and last forever with a little grease or oil.

Cheap and Excellent is my preferred way of doing this sorta thing :)

Peace

Ian

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I've actually built a couple sets of really nice pedals w/ toe brakes before, and ball bearings are completely unnecessary. Lots of people like to use them but they just aren't needed. Hardened dowel pins (like the kind tool & die makers use) and plain bushings work great, have no perceptible drag, and last forever with a little grease or oil.

Cheap and Excellent is my preferred way of doing this sorta thing :)

Peace

Ian

Yes. I think you are right, but using bearings was my desire. I would get some experience in working with such things.

I just realized that the toebrakes are just the upper part of the foot plate. So, you just hold your heel on the foot plate, and curl your toes? Never seen that approach before. Cool! :thumbup:

Yes. Exactly. Thank you! I already have tested it in DCS P51D and I like it.

I've actually built a couple sets of really nice pedals w/ toe brakes before, and ball bearings are completely unnecessary.

But actually this Chinese pillow bearing can be bough so cheap that don't justify don't use. :)

For use contact less sensor is goo had bearings at least in the magnet attachment axis, since they detect every small movements a undesired axial movements can cause "noise" in axis response. Fit a HALL sensor in CH pedal give headache until don't use a bearing in magnet axis.

Your pedals are brilliant, much nicer than the set I built. I used a waiting room chair with square metal tubed legs, hacked them into lengths and bolted them to some Lazy Susan bearings and springs from ebay. I got the mechanism to move the potentiometer all wrong so I need to rebuild that part, but the pedals are proper sturdy. It worked, but I am not getting a even throw when levering the pot. I would be interested to see how you have done this.

I got a joystick controller board so, I also have loads of spare terminals to fit switches to when I can find time to build a makeshift pit.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 6700K, 32GB Corsair 2400Mhz, 970 NVMe 500Gb SSD, GeForce 2080 super, HP Reverb, VKB GF PRO, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster Pendular rudders, Windows + DCS :thumbup:

My youtube channel

• 2 months later...

<<< PEDALS >>>

Hello Everybody

Would like to show you results of my efforts in creation pedals.

Details:

MagRes KMZ41 (thinking about replace them with TLE501x)

STM32F103 with builtin 12 bit ADC: STM32F103C8T6

Works on windows and uses default HID joystick driver.

See attached photos.

Hi,

Would you please have this design with all the measurements, materials spent in the assembly of this, your project specifying piece by piece and the electronic part.

Thank you !!!!

Hi,

Would you please have this design with all the measurements, materials spent in the assembly of this, your project specifying piece by piece and the electronic part.

Thank you !!!!

Hi,

Sure, I need collect all these matirials and publish somewhere. I think it will be github.

It takes some time, but I think on this week your will get a possibility to see these matirials.

Thank you!

Hi,

Sure, I need collect all these matirials and publish somewhere. I think it will be github.

It takes some time, but I think on this week your will get a possibility to see these matirials.

Thank you!

Hi pervoliner

Do you have autocad for your project?

If you have post too !!!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...