I can see you, Admiral!

Cobra847

One of the biggest, most difficult, and most important features of our AJS-37 Viggen simulation, has been the creation of a custom, physically accurate and performant ground mapping and targeting radar. Developing this technology has been a challenge for us, as finding the right balance between image fidelity, quality and CPU/GPU performance is quite tricky.

We'll spare you most of the technical details, but we managed to develop a combined, CPU/GPU based solution that has virtually 0 impact on game performance, regardless of your radar range setting.

This has been a really great breakthrough for us, as we can now continue to develop our technology, and even apply it in non-ground mapping radars, such as the F-14.

As you all know, a skilled operator could make all the difference in reading the raw radar scope of the F-14-- and we want to make sure that that is accurately represented.

It's really the same in the Viggen, and almost every major/important system in the aircraft has some relation to the PS-37/A radar.

In order to become a proficient Viggen pilot, you’ll have to learn to read the radar screen (which is actually not quite that easy!) - and then apply the information gathered to your flying and navigation.

Enjoy some quick screenshots and descriptions below- we’ll certainly dive deeper into the radar before release as there is a lot to cover!

Expect to do a lot of reading in the manual too. :) :pilotfly:

In this first set of images, we are tracking a convoy of ships, located almost directly in front of us. These are large, cargo ships and cruisers, so their radar return is fairly hefty.

For the PS-37/A, we've implemented a basic RCS simulation for all ship classes.

This means that bigger ships will appear more prominently on the radar screen.

However, something like ship direction has an almost equally large impact on how much radar energy is returned. Direction, speed, radar settings, and ship class, will all combine to determine how prominent a radar return actually is.

In the first image, the convoy of ships are traveling perpendicular to our Viggen.

In the second, we're approaching the group from the rear. Note the difference in radar return strength.

01_THUMB.jpg 02_THUMB.jpg

Here is a similar example, of two Admiral Kuznetsov carriers, placed next to eachother.

The one on the left is facing almost perpedincular to our Viggen, while the right one is facing towards us.

Of course, the difference in RCS is more noticeable with smaller vessels.

03_THUMB.jpg

We've also spent some time implementing realistic jamming patterns and filters. Larger classes of ships and other units are capable of jamming.

A number of filters are used to try and filter the data, and to improve the readability of the image. Here is an example of three ships jamming our Viggen.

05_THUMB.jpg

Of course, one of the main purposes of the Viggen ground radar, is to actually map the terrain!

Terrain mapping is achieved by real raycasts, and reflection strength is dependent on the reflection material.

Meaning, concrete, grass, forest, rivers and other bodies of water are well contrasted and represented on the radar screen.

Ground vehicles will be visible, however mostly so when they are bunched together. Don't expect something akin to an F-15E ground mapping radar. :)

Here is a quick example of a river and a few fields/forests, as well as the Anapa area. There is a destroyer off the coast in the second image.

06_THUMB.jpg 07_THUMB.jpg

One of the more useful features of the ground mapping radar, is the Terrain Avoidance mode.

The terrain avoidance mode is designed to allow flight at low altitudes in poor visibility. On engaging the mode, the radar antennae will be set to 0 degrees relative to the horizn, and the antennae beam will be narrow in altitude. This results in the radar only displaying radar returns at the same altitude as the aircraft.

In this first image... I'm about to die...

08_THUMB.jpg

In these two images, you can see the difference between the regular mapping mode (note the clear areas, due to radar beam occlusion) -- and the terrain avoidance mode, which gives us a much clearer image of where we are, and what the heck we're supposed to do.

09_THUMB.jpg 10_THUMB.jpg

There's a lot more to show than this-- as the radar is very closely integrated with various weapons systems, navigation, landing markers, and all that fun stuff! So stay tuned! :)

Don't forget to tune in later today for the MIG-21 / F-5 / AJS-37 LIVE grudgematch on twitch at the link below!

The AJS-37 Viggen will be making its' live combat debut. Hope to see you there!

Many thanks for your support!

LS

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Nice! :D

Don't forget to tune in later today for the MIG-21 / F-5 / AJS-37 LIVE grudgematch on twitch at the link below!

The AJS-37 Viggen will be making its' live combat debut. Hope to see you there!

Many thanks for your support!

LS

Where is the link?

Edited by Custer
missing link

I think this will be a neat toy to play with. :joystick::thumbup:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Ok... I'm impressed!

I remember seeing a video of the groundmapping mode when I was in the SwAF. A AJ 37 pilot was explaining: "and here you can see the coast of Gotland".

I remember thinking "where?" ;)

That scope definately needs a trained eye...

Had a long talk with my friend the old SH37 pilot about the radar. He told me how they used to approach ships to do radar snapshots from different angles to compare the images and then decide the ships types and heading. They flew at about 10 m above the water and then popped up to do the snapshots, and then a quick return to 10m as they did a 180 for a new and different approach.

He also told me " before i joined the SH37 squadron i thought i could do some serious low level flying. I was wrong, it was those guys who tought me how to really fly seriosly low..."

:-)

Hi LNS, you say that the ships are getting scanned by your radar engine to form an RCS. Will this be based off the details in the shipname.lua and will you scan plugins as i'm concerned mods will be invisible depending on what you scan?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Sounds fantastic! Jamming by ships is something I didn't expect. I also wonder whether this is implemented on DCSW level or in the Viggen's avionics. In other words, if ED adds a new ship, will it have a working jammer straight away or do you have to update a table in the Viggen's code? What are the criteria for ships jamming? Will they always be on or do they react on a perceived A-G radar threat?

The fact that you have gone this far with the A-G radar gives some hope that you may have managed to do more with the Viggen's EW pods than the rater limited stock electronic warfare model provides.

I can't wait to get my hands on this :)

Nice to see a shot of how barrage jamming is presented on the Viggen display. Will be interesting to see this animated and if more sophisticated jamming modes will be rendered later on. :shifty:

You can compare the display shots to actual IRL footage of chaff and barrage jamming effects on a Swedish surveillance radar linked in this post. Its in Swedish but I did a quick translation and summary of what you are seeing.

• Like 1

Old Crow ECM motto: Those who talk don't know and those who know don't talk........

http://www.crows.org/about/mission-a-history.html

Pilum aka Holtzauge

Hi LNS, you say that the ships are getting scanned by your radar engine to form an RCS. Will this be based off the details in the shipname.lua and will you scan plugins as i'm concerned mods will be invisible depending on what you scan?

I'm also curious about this.

For the PS-37/A, we've implemented a basic RCS simulation for all ship classes.

As far as I understand, there is no raycasting used to detect units like ships, so there has to be an RCS value in the units (LUA?) configuration. I should say, that I'm not familiar with DCS modding and how the units are configured, but from what I heard I know that aircrafts have RCS-values in their configuration. So, is this the case for ground units too (especially ships)? If not, who has to add the RCS-value and were? Is it something that needs to be added to the units or is this something that is part of the Viggens radar configuration in DCS?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

We've also spent some time implementing realistic jamming patterns and filters. Larger classes of ships and other units are capable of jamming.

A number of filters are used to try and filter the data, and to improve the readability of the image. Here is an example of three ships jamming our Viggen.

05_THUMB.jpg

Wait a second.... Ship jamming? The DCS: World ships never was implemented ship jamming (offensive or defensive), unless ED or Leatherneck has implement them.....

What are you hiding under the carpet? what other defensive improvements has put into the ships?

Air units have an RCS entry in their luaname. Ships thus far have not seen one. Neither have ground units thus far. Therefore either an overhaul to all naval units by ED or LNS gets this info elsewhere based on extracting the size from the unit and its aspect, which would be easier. But my concern is they only scan the ED default DB and do not scan any plugins which would be a disaster for mods.

ECM from ships... this is totally unexpected from me.

I'm also curious about this.

As far as I understand, there is no raycasting used to detect units like ships, so there has to be an RCS value in the units (LUA?) configuration. I should say, that I'm not familiar with DCS modding and how the units are configured, but from what I heard I know that aircrafts have RCS-values in their configuration. So, is this the case for ground units too (especially ships)? If not, who has to add the RCS-value and were? Is it something that needs to be added to the units or is this something that is part of the Viggens radar configuration in DCS?

Edited by Pikey
tpyos

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

RCS is read and sorted by using the class of the vessel (e.g. Carrier, Frigate, etc.), not any sort of RCS value. While the yielded RCS value is thus generic for all vessels of the same class, the approximation is good enough for our purposes.

ECM/Jamming is custom, and we assume that most larger vessels will have reasonable jamming capability.

We'll do a more in-depth look at this in the next radar highlight. :)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/