BUG? TWS/STT lock transition timing

Ironhand

I noticed this morning that the "TWS" soft lock transitions to an "STT" lock about 1 km before the target actually reaches R-Max. In the past it occurred between R-Max and RTR. And according to DCS's manual:

TWS mode provides automatic target lock on (transition to STT). This is enabled by moving the radar cursor over a target. The cursor will "snap" to the target and follow it thereafter. Automatic lock on occurs at a range equal to 85% of the calculated maximum weapon launch range.

Is this a bug or a purposeful change? Inquiring minds would like to know.

EDIT: Added track file

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I noticed this morning that the "TWS" soft lock transitions to an "STT" lock about 1 km before the target actually reaches R-Max. In the past it occurred between R-Max and RTR. And according to DCS's manual:

Is this a bug or a purposeful change? Inquiring minds would like to know.

EDIT: Added track file

Hmm weird. As far as I'm aware every time I've used it the radar has transitioned from TWS to STT at 85% of Rmax, and the transition has always occurred at a percentage point rather than the transition being dependant on something like target type.

Probably a bug, though it'd be rather nice if the transition point changed depending on something like estimated target type, e.g. the transition occurred at Rmax for "large" targets, likely transports, AWACS, tankers or the like; and happened much closer to Rtr for "small" targets that are more likely to be agile fighters.

Hope that made sense.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Hmm weird. As far as I'm aware every time I've used it the radar has transitioned from TWS to STT at 85% of Rmax, and the transition has always occurred at a percentage point rather than the transition being dependant on something like target type.

Probably a bug, though it'd be rather nice if the transition point changed depending on something like estimated target type, e.g. the transition occurred at Rmax for "large" targets, likely transports, AWACS, tankers or the like; and happened much closer to Rtr for "small" targets that are more likely to be agile fighters.

Hope that made sense.

I understand what you're saying but that only works with the AI. :) If I were driving an airplane that couldn't shoot back, you'd never hit me at anywhere near R-Max--I'd have already turned around and headed away.

BTW, I'm running 1.5.59744. Don't recall seeing this prior to this.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.