Will the Viggen support toggle switches?

JanTelefon

I am very much looking forward to the Viggen release, and when it comes along I will likely be building some panels for weapon selection etc. My question to the developers is if there will be controls supporting toggle switches? And by toggle switches I mean a standard switch, as seen in the cockpits of many planes, with a ON-OFF functionality.

There is of course the HOTAS controls of the A-10C that supports this, as well as some of the controls for the Mirage. The Mig 21 gets some of this functionality with mods, but what will the philosophy of the Viggen be? A separate input for each command, like it was in the beginning with the Mig 21? Toggle commands? Support for toggle switches? All of the above?

I have already begun planning my panels, so some light on the matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

/Emil

• Like 1

+1

It would also be interesting if there are clockwise and counterclockwise functions for rotary dials? And if analog axes are defined to control the lights etc.?

(Very important for my button boxes ;))

• Like 2

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

It will for sure if you open the default.lua file and create them ;)

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

It will for sure if you open the default.lua file and create them ;)

exactly, best decision of my life and really easy to do to be honest. It is just a little annoying. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

exactly, best decision of my life and really easy to do to be honest. It is just a little annoying.

Fully agree, editing the commands files is pretty much a must to be able to map the keys for warthog. In reality I think I had to add those commands for every single module that I fly, including M2000C which probably did the best work out there (obviously when not counting A10-C). The biggest annoyance comes from the fact that from time to time there are updates made in the original file so it's necessary to compare the files and merge own bindings eventually - instead of just copy/paste the file. The other problem is that it's not always possible to make a 2/3-way button command if approporiate actions are not defined (i.e. the off/taxi/landing lights in MiG-21 has only a toggle command).

Would love to see the devs adding such bindings by default – it’s not a rocket science after all -> up on else off for 2 way switch and 2 commands for 3 way one.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Yup, editing the input lua is a given and I have spent many hours on that for all the modules.

However, there are rather big differences between the modules in as far as the possibilities of defining your own switches are. There has to be a certain "infrastructure" in the default.lua file, which has to be provided by the developers. At least it was my understanding that the OP was asking for this "infrastructure" and in how far he can use it to set up the button boxes.

For example, the Mirage in its current state is difficult to set up (at least for me) because:

- Clockwise/counterclockwise or up/down commands for multi-position switches are not implemented at all - each position has its own state. Therefore, I cannot use any of my rotary encoders or (on)-(off) switches.

- Similar for opening and closing the switch covers, which has no toggle function like in other modules. Therefore, I cannot use my on-off-(on) switches, which are very handy if switches have a cover and you open and close it with the (on) state.

- The master arm (or was it gun arm?) switch can only be toggled. Not a big thing but I like it better, when the switch only goes up when my physical switch goes up.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

I've been implementing a few alternative ways to use switches but far from all of them yet. For example some of the switches that are frequently used and on the HOTAS in the real plane you are able to map in different ways ("T0-TV", and "A0-A2" for example). These work well with my Warthog setup. I didn't want to put too many alternatives in the list because it would clutter up the config screen and be confusing but I guess I could just leave them disabled but available in the lua-files.

• Like 1

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

I didn't want to put too many alternatives in the list because it would clutter up the config screen and be confusing but I guess I could just leave them disabled but available in the lua-files.

Personally, I would always opt for more alternatives but I also understand your point.

If the users who need a more complex setup can enable them in the lua-files, it would be a perfect compromise :thumbup:

Edited by funkyfranky

I've been implementing a few alternative ways to use switches but far from all of them yet. For example some of the switches that are frequently used and on the HOTAS in the real plane you are able to map in different ways ("T0-TV", and "A0-A2" for example). These work well with my Warthog setup. I didn't want to put too many alternatives in the list because it would clutter up the config screen and be confusing but I guess I could just leave them disabled but available in the lua-files.

I'm always for more options, no matter how confusing they may be. :D

Maybe the alternative options could be stowed away under a separate category from the rest of the config screen?

Maybe the alternative options could be stowed away under a separate category from the rest of the config screen?

That is actually a very good idea :thumbup:

"extra options for simpit nerds" should be an appropriate label. :P

Hehe, yes, that's pretty much spot on. I like it :D

(Now that this big problem is out of the way, it's ready for release, right?)

Originally Posted by RagnarDa View Post

I didn't want to put too many alternatives in the list because it would clutter up the config screen and be confusing but I guess I could just leave them disabled but available in the lua-files.

Good solution.

This topic remember that Mig-21 Landing Gear operation probable win in amount of complains be part of "CH throttle" users - that has only momentary buttons - this guys want only press the same button for LG up/down, flaps up/down, etc (like in "arcade" flight games). :D

Edited by Sokol1_br