how to edit weather

rogonaut

There used to be a thread entitled "Dynamic weather - a look under the bonnet/hood" that I have saved but it seems to have been removed. It went through the process of hand editing your weather file in the .miz if I remember correctly. I stopped doing it because it was just extra work and most people didn't appreciate it lol.

I did just now find this, but haven't tried it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=144855&

I just took a quick look into a .miz and found what I was looking for.

Set the number of systems in the ME that you want and then open up the mission file within the .miz

The different systems are listed like this:

["cyclones"] =

{

[1] =

{

["pressure_spread"] = 925870.38843639,

["centerZ"] = 312642.66796523,

["ellipticity"] = 1.3026829160689,

["rotation"] = -0.12417258818243,

["pressure_excess"] = -1093,

["centerX"] = -114216.92886758,

}, -- end of [1]

[2] =

{

["pressure_spread"] = 1017592.6747109,

["centerZ"] = 122565.7275902,

["ellipticity"] = 1.3026829160689,

["rotation"] = -0.12417258818243,

["pressure_excess"] = -713,

["centerX"] = -1174783.5900005,

}, -- end of [2]

You can edit this to place them in a way that will give different crosswinds at the different airfields. It's a lot of trial and error but it's doable.

In one of my old missions I was able to place multiple systems in a row to make a weather front. It was very cool, but like I said it's a lot of work.

And I take no credit for figuring any of this out, there was that thread on it years ago that looks like it's been deleted.

The dynamic weather system is quite nice, and is the only good way to get weather that isn't constant throughout the map. It's obviously a bit tricky if you aren't used to it or don't understand how weather systems work.

DAWS Weather and any explicit wind/cloud settings are universal for the entire map, whereas weather fronts/dynamic weather can make it rainy in one area and clear in another

You can create and, then, save dynamic weather maps using the icons at the bottom of the Dynamic Weather tab. You can also load them into a mission. The weather files are saved to your Saved Games folder under Mission Editor/weather/dynamic. You can then open those saved files with something like Notepad++ for editing.

Just thought I'd mention it.

EDIT: Been playing around with dynamic weather recently myself trying to get a feel for certain effects. One of the things I've noticed is that it's ofen hard to divorce rain from high winds with this system. One way to accomplish it, though, is to nest a larger, less intense low pressure system with a smaller and comparably more intense one. This will give you broken clouds over a larger area and rain over a smaller area without a lot of excess wind.

I've attached the weather file (Kerch Peninsula Coastal Wet Weather.lua) and a simple flight I loaded it into. This file gives you wet weather in the Anapa-Gelendzhik region. If anyone wants to use the weather file, place it where I specified above. Then, in the ME, use the dropdown menu at the bottom of the Dynamic Weather tab to select it. Click the "Load" icon just to the right (looks like an open folder) to load it.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

The dynamic weather system is quite nice, and is the only good way to get weather that isn't constant throughout the map. It's obviously a bit tricky if you aren't used to it or don't understand how weather systems work.

DAWS Weather and any explicit wind/cloud settings are universal for the entire map, whereas weather fronts/dynamic weather can make it rainy in one area and clear in another

that i know, just wanted more control where when and what:)

You can create and, then, save dynamic weather maps using the icons at the bottom of the Dynamic Weather tab. You can also load them into a mission. The weather files are saved to your Saved Games folder under Mission Editor/weather/dynamic. You can then open those saved files with something like Notepad++ for editing.

Just thought I'd mention it.

EDIT: Been playing around with dynamic weather recently myself trying to get a feel for certain effects. One of the things I've noticed is that it's ofen hard to divorce rain from high winds with this system. One way to accomplish it, though, is to nest a larger, less intense low pressure system with a smaller and comparably more intense one. This will give you broken clouds over a larger area and rain over a smaller area without a lot of excess wind.

I've attached the weather file (Kerch Peninsula Coastal Wet Weather.lua) and a simple flight I loaded it into. This file gives you wet weather in the Anapa-Gelendzhik region. If anyone wants to use the weather file, place it where I specified above. Then, in the ME, use the dropdown menu at the bottom of the Dynamic Weather tab to select it. Click the "Load" icon just to the right (looks like an open folder) to load it.

sounds sweet gonna grab those, thx for your work!

sounds sweet gonna grab those, thx for your work!

You'll probably need to either re-download the LUA or edit it yourself to get it to work in the ME. I foolishly renamed it without altering its name within the LUA file. If they don't match, it won't be available to load in the ME. I've uploaded the corrected version and the edited MIZ file, as well.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.