Please use analog axis for zoom in VR

Joghurt

Please treat VR like non-VR, when it comes to zooming, and let us use an analog axis for that!

I really love that you can use an analog axis for zoom when using a standard monitor - you can zoom a leeettle to better see what you're doing in the cockpit or zoom more to spot enemies.

In VR, it's just full or nothing, which is bad for cockpit use and also not so good for the stomach (as you can't choose the speed you're zooming). Plus, I don't have a spare button on my warthog, whereas I used the (formerly unused) incr/decr-slider on the throttle for that.

Zooming changes your Field of View. In VR you need a fixed Field of View that works in correlation with the headset. If they let us zoom / change Field of View in VR in analog way, then you would have to set it back to correct FOV everytime after you zoom.

Most of time the view will be distorted and people will report and rage that VR support is broken. That's why they don't let us analog zoom.

Quote Vedexent: The technical term for an over ambitious ground attack pilot is "dead".

Quote SiThSpAwN: I figure 1.5 will have to buy some roses and chocolates, take 2.0 to a nice restaurant, and if it opens doors and is a gentleman, 1.5 and 2.0 might just get to merge one day.

If they let us zoom / change Field of View in VR in analog way, then you would have to set it back to correct FOV everytime after you zoom.

Yeah, so? I am not following you. It is up to us to put our gear down too. We manage to remember to do so most of the time as well without ED doing it for us. I think we who would use it would understand you need to zoom back out after employing the slider, same as 2d monitor/trackIR users have to do now. It would be pretty evident you weren't from the view perspective obviously to remind you.

They already have a zoom employed in VR. We want it to be instead employed like it is for 2d monitor usage. Assign it to an axis and let us instead of hitting a button that zooms us in(to a very limited zoom factor currently), then returns us to orig view upon release as it is now. Let us have the zoom control we get out of VR. So what if it then is up to the user to draw his view back out to orig start pos.

I want to zoom farther than they allow currently in VR but do allow for monitor/trackIR users. Heck if anyone needs to be able to see clearer/magnified at distant objects it is VR users.

Why not allow this ability? Use if you like, don't if don't. But options are never bad. I don't get the fight to limit abilities that I see a lot here.

Edited by Torso

+1, it is not possible to fly in VR without zooming, as we are nearsighted with the too low resolution of current headset.

Anyway I made this mod that allow at least to have X1.4/x2/x4 level of zoom in NVG with or without the light amplification effect. Better than nothing...And, as it is only displayed in the middle of your FOV and enclosed by a black circle, there is no risk of feeling disoriented.

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

+1

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

+1 would be a nice addition.

System:

I9 9900KS 5.0GHz : 2080Ti : MSI Z390 GODLike : 32Gb Vengance 4000MHz DDR4 : Samsung 970 1TB Evo Plus, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB : ViewSonic 4K 32"

Windows 10 : HOTAS - Warthog : TPR Pedals : HP Reverb Pro

• 3 months later...

The zoom effect would just make people sick.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Weird... I can click my mouse wheel and zoom in and out incrementally in cockpit in VR. So not the outside world but I don’t really need that.

This not work for you all?

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

+1 on the analog axis mapping! Could easily use the "side friction" adjuster on the Warthog HOTAS for that. Would be pretty excellent.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria