Wish List: New airfields with no aprons. Can't start cold.

Tucano_uy

Or, don't try taking off from a general aviation airstrip in a military aircraft?

The role of those strips isn't exactly covered in DCS World, but of course in an emergency, they can be used to land on - if there is no other option.

So the point here may be that you're using something in a way it was never intended to be used. Had it not crossed your mind that the apron may be entirely grass in the real world?

Just because it is there, doesn't make it a usable facility for military aviation.

So the point here may be that you're using something in a way it was never intended to be used. Had it not crossed your mind that the apron may be entirely grass in the real world?

Precisely, that's why I proposed a "fake" parking position, somewhere, by the runway.

I'm not sure DCS, has an "intended way to be used". How you and me have fun, might not be the same way. If, for example, I want to fly from there with my mustang, can't I?

Do you really consider making what in reality is a dirt strip into a concrete panned facility addresses any issues?

I was under the impression we wanted realism.

No. With all my respect, you're lacking imagination. I want one or two ingame parking spot defined, on the ground, by one threshold or wherever aircraft usually parks so I can start my mustang, taxi it to the runway and take off.

Don't make it complicated. It's a very simple idea. And realistic. Unless you only like to start hot on the rwy. That's cool too, but not realistic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mina_Airport

For the 12-month period ending August 31, 2012, the airport had 175 general aviation aircraft operations, an average of 14 per month. At that time there were three aircraft based at this airport: 67% single-engine and 33% ultralight.

A single GA flight every second day, 3 small aicrafts. Being straight, it's just an small GA airport in the middle of nowhere. Just take it and appreciate it for what it is - a runway which can be used in case of an emergency landing. No reason to try to make it into something that it isn't. DCS is not the best place to consider turning things for what they are not just for a "fun" factor.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Seriously guys.

ED put it there, somebody sat for hours in front of a computer to give us those small fields. And you're going all pedantic about real life. What I am asking is to define whatever point as a parking place. Simple as that.

Being that pedantic about realism is useless. Get your minds out of the box and have fun. Have you never put a couple of tanks in the decomissioned crossed runways near batumi to blow them up? Do you ever care that it is not a mombing range? Come on...

Edited by Tucano_uy
  • Like 2

I don't see much wrong with your request, makes perfect sense especially for WWII era aircraft.

I suspect it may be possible with the introduction of the Normandy Map and grass airfields, we'll see.

I really don't see why people who have nothing to offer, but negativity, insist on responding to posts, oh well takes allsorts I guess.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Plato

I really don't see why people who have nothing to offer, but negativity, insist on responding to posts, oh well takes allsorts I guess.

I don't mind purists. But hell, I'm not asking to add Harpoons to the A-10.

When you try to replicate real life on a computer simulation, a GAME, a toy, you need to compromise, think out of the box. What I propose, besides not being technically complex or complicated, doesn't take anything away from the purists.

Maybe file a bug report?

I thought so, but is not really a bug, rather a feature request. A very, very, very tiny one... like Mina strip and maybe others in the map.

By the way, a Mig-29 can take off from there, if you dare to do something SO unrealistic.

Doesn't make sense to use it with modern combat jets - in DCS, they can't taxi on unpaved surfaces anyway, but makes perfect sense for warbirds, which can. Ability to place a warbird on a piece of terrain near runway treshold (doesn't even have to be defined as a proper ramp, does it?) is not a bad idea, actually.

By the way, can You place a helicopter there?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Doesn't make sense to use it with modern combat jets - in DCS, they can't taxi on unpaved surfaces anyway, but makes perfect sense for warbirds, which can. Ability to place a warbird on a piece of terrain near runway treshold (doesn't even have to be defined as a proper ramp, does it?) is not a bad idea, actually.

By the way, can You place a helicopter there?

Helicopters can start on the ground so yes you can. Start on ground would be handy to have for some fixed wing as well... I'm also thinking the warbirds and the likes of the Tucano and AV-8B(NA) as well.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I don't mind purists. But hell, I'm not asking to add Harpoons to the A-10.

When you try to replicate real life on a computer simulation, a GAME, a toy, you need to compromise, think out of the box. What I propose, besides not being technically complex or complicated, doesn't take anything away from the purists..

Mate I was trying to support you. I wasn't knocking you, you've taken one paragraph and quoted it out of context. It was aimed that the negative responses to your original post :thumbup:

• Like 1

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Plato

Mate I was trying to support you. I wasn't knocking you, you've taken one paragraph and quoted it out of context. It was aimed that the negative responses to your original post :thumbup:

:megalol: I know buddy, I quoted to ADD on what you said. Written language sometimes betray us. :thumbup: I'm sure if we all could have a chat and a beer we would understand better what we want to say.

Couple of links that I found interesting

150716-A-XB890-046

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib2SwbGb7h8

• Like 1

How do you interpret wanting the ED design to be appreciated for what it is as negativity?

If this strip was capable of operating military jets, then it'd be specified as such. It isn't, and for the simple reason that it is a GA strip without any facilities.

If you want to use it with WW2 aircraft (which incidentally do not require hard standing in order to operate), then you are using a region of the earth that wasn't really involved in WW2 for a start, and as WW2 aircraft were never operated from 2016 GA strips, I don't exactly see where your argument is going.

Why is wanting to maintain some realism negative? What exactly would adding fantasy facilities to a remote strip achieve - apart, that is, from imposing extra work for an already over stretched software team. If it was of benefit, I'd say go for it, but it is simply nonsense to expect combat aircraft to operate in this way, so why go to the trouble for such a minority viewpoint?

How do you interpret wanting the ED design to be appreciated for what it is as negativity?

If this strip was capable of operating military jets, then it'd be specified as such. It isn't, and for the simple reason that it is a GA strip without any facilities.

If you want to use it with WW2 aircraft (which incidentally do not require hard standing in order to operate), then you are using a region of the earth that wasn't really involved in WW2 for a start, and as WW2 aircraft were never operated from 2016 GA strips, I don't exactly see where your argument is going.

Why is wanting to maintain some realism negative? What exactly would adding fantasy facilities to a remote strip achieve - apart, that is, from imposing extra work for an already over stretched software team. If it was of benefit, I'd say go for it, but it is simply nonsense to expect combat aircraft to operate in this way, so why go to the trouble for such a minority viewpoint?

Sigh.... I never spoke about a fantasy facility. Sorry if my "fake" apron statement in the OP gave you that impression. Try please to be a bit wide minded, for a second.

THERE IS A FRIKKEN AERODROME IN GAME, ALREADY DONE, ED ALREADY WENT INTO TROUBLE TO PUT IT THERE (TO WHICH I AM ENORMOUSLY GRATEFUL, SO MUCH, I WANT TO USE IT), ON WHERE NO AIRPLANE CAN BE PLACED IF IS NOT WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING AND ON THE RUNWAY. I DON'T WANT AN APRON. I DON'T WANT A PATCH OF TARMAC, I WANT A DEFINED, DIGITAL, INVISIBLE, UNOBTRUSIVE PLACE WHERE I CAN ADD A COLD AIRCRAFT IN THE MISSION EDITOR, START IT, GET TO THE RWY AND FLY AWAY.

Where is the violation to realism there? What do you think happens to acft after landing and before departing on those runways?

Seriously, this took a looooooot more time than it deserves. Got boring already.

It is simple really. To place an aircraft, you need an apron. Without an apron you can't place an aircraft. What you are asking for is frankly a waste of the developers time. Use it as an emergency landing strip, but don't expect to be able to use it as a military air base!

And writing in upper case is not only offensive, it is also juvenile. Stop shouting, and behave like a grown up, please!

My feelings exactly Tucano! Nor do I argue for the sake of it, ordinarily.

To ask for an insignificant airfield to be upgraded so you can use it when you have so many more to choose from, and then get all uppity about it when someone disagrees?

And no we are not being negative, we're just taking the wider picture and disagreeing about your suggestion's merits. Since when was that such a big deal? We just disagree, and the reasons why were clearly stated without getting upset, or personal. Isn't that what a discussion forum is all about? If it isn't for that, please enlighten us as to what you consider it's purpose to be.

My feelings exactly Tucano! Nor do I argue for the sake of it, ordinarily.

To ask for an insignificant airfield to be upgraded so you can use it when you have so many more to choose from, and then get all uppity about it when someone disagrees?

And no we are not being negative, we're just taking the wider picture and disagreeing about your suggestion's merits. Since when was that such a big deal? We just disagree, and the reasons why were clearly stated without getting upset, or personal. Isn't that what a discussion forum is all about? If it isn't for that, please enlighten us as to what you consider it's purpose to be.

+1 to above. There is no reason to be religious about the realism aspect. Just consider it from other perspective. If those small airports would have a cold start capable they would become just like any other airport but at the same time being a much worse version of them.

With the recent extension there are plenty airports at Nevada. The fact that there are just a few that can be only used for emergency landing makes them unique and so to say in this way adds some "fun" factor to them. For that reason I would appreciate them as they are.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

a couple of parking slots dont exactly force you to use them though if you insist on realism...i agree with the op...they developed the airfield and invested many hours doing so. so why not make a few parking slots there for players who would like to take off from there? btw, if dcs itself insisted on realism only, we wouldnt have a single warbird yet, as there is no theater for it. likewise, the a-10c shouldnt be operating on the caucasus map either. and dcs itself defines itself as a sandbox simulation. so i dont see anything wrong with a few parking slots on an airfield really. just my opinion.

Edited by 9./JG27 DavidRed

You know what? It turns out just googling a bit there is a small place where you can park your aeroplane when you visit Mina.

036491.jpg

http://www.airport-data.com/airport/photo/036491L.html

Exactly here, (and this is realism, having the possibility to use google maps/Earth and everything you have in module is there :D)

https://goo.gl/maps/qpdkeWfjEuE2

It's a small wide in the runway, although clearly not a part of the runway itself but parking.

Whatever, well, probably as there is no apron and that's the first time it happens in DCS, may be ED just hadn't a idea yet on how to handle this, since you can't start jets at the countryside :lol:. Makes sense you have to start in the paved (¿?) runway. But yes, it would be fine once we have dirt airports this is converted to the real dirt airport it is IRL, and we have our small, tiny, ridiculous, ""apron"" (even though calling that apron is fairly optimistic :P) to start, or just some parking spots besides runway at least.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice