F5E Panel dimensions

VampireOne

Having flown the t38 many years ago, I got switched on by the F5E in DCS... Oups.... Potential financial and social de-route.....

Does anyone here have the dimensions for the panels of the Tiger? Could be an interesting project to build a F5 pit.....

[sIGPIC]If you are still under control you are not going fast enough[/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

Hey Vampire,

I deleted my earlier post because i found out the numbers i used in that were quite off. :ermm:

I've since then done some digging, and found out that the placement of DZus-rings (those screws used to attach the panels, which are always a given size) in the gamemodel are actually wrong! Look up my posts in the thread "Trying to understand panel construction". So simply 'counting the dzus-rows' ingame will give you wrong numbers; i've learned that the hard way. :wallbash:

Anyway, i went and started remodeling - these are my best estimates so far...

At least i know the O2-panel is indeed 5 3/4" by 3"; that's been confirmed by user Deadman.. :thumbup:

Untitled1.thumb.jpg.5936f6a1133dfa847981d12f62148814.jpg

Untitled2.thumb.jpg.5acc8b8a831c453dcade68ee9359079e.jpg

Untitled3.thumb.jpg.4dac20903cc41943601091a0b58a94eb.jpg

Hey Vampire,

I deleted my earlier post because i found out the numbers i used in that were quite off. :ermm:

I've since then done some digging, and found out that the placement of DZus-rings (those screws used to attach the panels, which are always a given size) in the gamemodel are actually wrong! Look up my posts in the thread "Trying to understand panel construction". So simply 'counting the dzus-rows' ingame will give you wrong numbers; i've learned that the hard way. :wallbash:

Anyway, i went and started remodeling - these are my best estimates so far...

At least i know the O2-panel is indeed 5 3/4" by 3"; that's been confirmed by user Deadman.. :thumbup:

thanks a lot for the measures, I´ll put them to good use.

Could you please share the model? I guess it´s in sketchup...

• 1 month later...

It's indeed made in Sketch-up.

I'm considering to share it, but i've got to do the entire front-/instrument-panels, and make sure that the sizes of the rest of the cockpit are correct.

I've found out for instance that the two 'boxes' i designed are way too high...

• 5 months later...

Rubylight; OUT f.... standing.... thank you . I am using Blue73s idea of printing the panels and boxes, wiring it up with switches and interconnecting the boxes for transportation.

I will not bother with the complete panel with instruments just yet, as the pit will be designed for use with VR. So basically only the switch panels on the front and side panels are planned.

Would you happen to have the measurements for the armament, gear and jettison panel? I have guestimated the measurements based on switch size and the panel picture from the manual, just upscaling as necessary.

Or, if you have the dimensions of the front panel I would be happy.. I have started to use Fusion 360 and a Prusa i3 Mk3 arriving on tuesday... Xmas comes early this year.......

This project is in its infancy and will take some time, but I will gladly share anything of interest to anyone.... collecting advice on the road as I only have a basic understanding of the electronics and programming involved... man.. what did I get myself into....

• 2 weeks later...

guys a lot of the panel measurement have been covered in the past. Many control panels are use in several air craft, your going to have to do some research don't expect some one to find every thing for you for free.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

F5E Panel dimensions

Deaman. No need to get huffy.

There is no intention of getting anything for free Here. Just a legitimate question for work already done As to not have it duplicated.

Could We please keep an adult and helpful tone Here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by VampireOne
  • Like 1

Spitty; considered the option.

aymen; trying some contacts I have. May have to travel to measure the darn thing up myself. Will then post everything - for free.

Yup sure thing I forgot being condensing is a good this good luck on those measurements

Deaman. No need to get huffy.

There is no intention of getting anything for free Here. Just a legitimate question for work already done As to not have it duplicated.

Could We please keep an adult and helpful tone Here.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

• 2 weeks later...

While you can't beat taking photos and real measurements in person, it doesn't necessarily solve all of your problems. I went to the Navy's aviation museum in Pensacola to get F-4 Phantom cockpit measurements. The one's they let you sit in are usually training sim pits. The training ones don't necessarily have 100% original equipment and/or dimensions. Even if you get an accurate training cockpit or better yet to sit in a real one, the cramped, crowded nature of fighter cockpits can make taking measurements just a wee bit difficult. In my case, I was there during normal business hours on a weekend with crowds. Showing up early or staying late helps avoid the crowds, but you may find yourself needing lots of time to take and document any measurements, which will not be popular with the line of people waiting for their turn to sit in the cockpit!

Good luck! I would like to have the F-5 measurements, too. So please succeed and post the results here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Guys

Some things that can help when taking dimensions from an actual cockpit, is finding and using "Base Points". I would suggest no more than 3, as after that, it gets very confusing.

Typically, a solid first Base Point would be the Center of the Flight Stick - "Floor Mount" in a cockpit with a "Center Flight Stick" Two other good Base Points, need to be Parallel and Coplanar to each other (Both side by side and the same height). Some examples would be the Back Left Hand Corner of the Left side switch panel, and the back Right Hand Corner of the Right side switch panel.

This provides the ability to take 3 measurements to locate a panel and determine its angel offset to 0,0,0 (vertical, horizontal and depth). This data can easily be entered in most CAD systems to locate the exact position of the part/panel/switch/gauge in real world 3D work. No, you don't have to do this for every part...just the main items: Main Inst Panel, Side Panels, Angled Side Panels, Center Pedestal, A fixed point on the Ejection Seat, Canopy Sills, Throttle and Stick Location, etc

Once you have the varying panel angles, all you need to do is take a pic of the part/panel/switch/gauge with a ruler/tape measure beside it and above or below it, to get the vertical and horizontal "accurate" dimensions of it.

It would also be good to measure the large parts: Canopy Sills "length, width, height" at front and rear, and from the Top of the Sill to the Top of the Canopy (if you can open and close it). The width between the Sills at the front and back. From the Top if the Sill to the Floor. Other big items would be the height and width of the main instrument panel, both side panels, both angled side panels, center pedestal and ejection seat. Height from the Floor to the bottom/top of the Main Instr Panel, Side Panels and Top of the Sills

With these dimensions and pictures that include the measurements, most CAD / 3D guys would have no problems building an accurate 3D Cockpit with all panels including the parts/panels/switches/gauges.

Note - Don't believe me, check out the OpenHornet F/A-18 Project with Jrsteensen's 3D CAD work. I believe Boeing is using this to update the Real Hornet's Blueprints, because (1) They're FANTASTIC!.. and (2) We all know that Boeing can't design a Fighter to save its life. :megalol: If you're real bored, look up the last Fighter that Boeing Designed...that actually went into production; not the abominations (prototypes) that lost to real fighter designs. :joystick:

Also, try not to make these FNG Rookie mistakes: :doh:

• Learn how to take good pictures. Out of focus pictures don't work. Regardless if its a cell phone or stand alone camera; hold the camera "in the exact same plane (angle), both vertically and horizontally to the part you are taking a picture of, focus, hold your breath and gently snap the pic. Nothing beats good photography! :thumbup: .

• Keep the ruler/tape measure aligned with the part/panel/switch/gauge, both vertically and horizontally. Tip - Blue/Green Painters tape can be used to hold the ruler/tape measure in place while you take a picture. A buddy can be a huge help with this too! :helpsmilie: .

• Take a picture of the part/panel/switch/gauge that's both "Zoomed in on it" for detail and "Zoomed out" to show the surrounding detail. Yes, that's extra work but trust me, this imagery will really come in handy later on. Remember to stay "in plane" with whatever you're taking a picture of. Pictures with the camera tilted one way and panel another way are garbage. :mad: .

• Take pictures of the items you think you "WON'T" need. The Floor, Rudder Pedals, Front of the Ejection Seat, Back of the Ejection Seat, Sides of the Ejection Seat, The Top of the Front Instrument Panel, Under the both Sills, Under the Front Instrument Panel, The bottom of the Flight Stick, The Side(s) and Top of the Throttle, Pictures showing all the buttons and text on these, etc. Trust me, these will all get used and be a huge help in creating an "accurate cockpit". :smilewink: .

• This should go without says but...Wipe off the dang lens of your camera BEFORE taking pictures! Having smudges, fingerprints, dust-bunnies, dirt and goo ruins your work and drives the guys trying to use it, CRAZY. It also doesn't hurt to wipe the lens off several times during your picture taking session. You'll thank me later for this. :music_whistling: .

• Finally, bring a Tape Measure, Small Ruler (12 inches or 305mm for you fellas across the pond), Even smaller Ruler (6 inches or 152mm), a notepad and pen/pencil, and a piece of string that's 5 feet (1524mm) long, at least. Sometimes, it's easier to use a string to get a length from a Base Point to the actual item being measured, then lay the string on a Tape Measure and get the dimension. This is a good work around when things are in the way; and don't use STRETCHY string!. :smartass: .

If you take your time and do it right, it will save you a lot of frustration and from having to go back a 2nd, 3rd or 4th time.

I'm sure there are plenty of other great tips for accurate measuring of a cockpit. Post them up if you have them!

Good luck with your project. Let me know if I can help.

Stang out

While you can't beat taking photos and real measurements in person, it doesn't necessarily solve all of your problems. I went to the Navy's aviation museum in Pensacola to get F-4 Phantom cockpit measurements. The one's they let you sit in are usually training sim pits. The training ones don't necessarily have 100% original equipment and/or dimensions. Even if you get an accurate training cockpit or better yet to sit in a real one, the cramped, crowded nature of fighter cockpits can make taking measurements just a wee bit difficult. In my case, I was there during normal business hours on a weekend with crowds. Showing up early or staying late helps avoid the crowds, but you may find yourself needing lots of time to take and document any measurements, which will not be popular with the line of people waiting for their turn to sit in the cockpit!

Good luck! I would like to have the F-5 measurements, too. So please succeed and post the results here.

Edited by Stang

• 3 weeks later...

Hi VampireOne, and everyone else, :)

Finally got my aging laptop working again, dug up my Sketchup-files, and quickly measured up the weapons-panel for ya.

Because i ended up with a whole string of decimals i rounded them down (so they won't be 100% mathematically acurate) and i left out the bevels / rounding corners.

Ow yeah, Sketchup measure tool showed me it was 5 mm thick, and the front dash (the whole panel with radar, gauges etc.) is tilted 10 degrees backwards.

F5WpnPnl4Vamp1prev1.thumb.jpg.aa81cb34017b707c0594765f0bbdd1bb.jpg

F5WpnPnl4Vamp1.thumb.jpg.dd36f94f63a228fda29806126bc34b20.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...