What do you use as mouse when flying?

Ala12Rv-watermanpc

I tried using the nipple in my X52 pro as a mouse in cockpit and while it worked acceptable, and allowed me to keep hands in the hotas, it was a bit hard to control in busy situations like in combat...

I don't know if you know this but you can activate the buttons on your HOTAS and throttle (like the button next to the nipple and the pinky switch on your joystick) to function in DCS. You can even use the mode select switch for functions if you want. I made every X52 button available for use to maximize functionality.

Even with the A10C and the Mi8, I rarely have to touch my mouse for anything. Having it down to the left next to my HOTAS really helps too. Since my HOTAS sits right where a real throttle control helps also. It feels natural just to reach over and grab the mouse. I don't even have to look down.

Edited by Zimmerdylan

When learning a new aircraft I use a trackball with the left hand for clicking switches. By the time I have some hours up I have mapped most things to the HOTAS and keyboard.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

I guess for VR a trackball would be a decent solution since you don't have to move it around. This is especially true if you have everything tied to a chair like I do at the moment.

Having a some sort of sticky mouse function in the game would make that quite quick to use, I think. We will have to see how that develops. The current two options (free mouse and POW-tied mouse) are not yet enough in my opinion. Luckily we already have mouse buttons that you can bind to a HOTAS.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

I don't know if you know this but you can activate the buttons on your HOTAS and throttle (like the button next to the nipple and the pinky switch on your joystick) to function in DCS. You can even use the mode select switch for functions if you want. I made every X52 button available for use to maximize functionality.

Even with the A10C and the Mi8, I rarely have to touch my mouse for anything. Having it down to the left next to my HOTAS really helps too. Since my HOTAS sits right where a real throttle control helps also. It feels natural just to reach over and grab the mouse. I don't even have to look down.

Yes, I know it, but thanks for sharing!!, I even use the mode switch to expand possibilities even further...btw, thinking about upgrade to a Warthog :shifty:

When learning a new aircraft I use a trackball with the left hand for clicking switches. By the time I have some hours up I have mapped most things to the HOTAS and keyboard.

I do something similar but with a regular mouse :)

I guess for VR a trackball would be a decent solution since you don't have to move it around. This is especially true if you have everything tied to a chair like I do at the moment.

Having a some sort of sticky mouse function in the game would make that quite quick to use, I think. We will have to see how that develops. The current two options (free mouse and POW-tied mouse) are not yet enough in my opinion. Luckily we already have mouse buttons that you can bind to a HOTAS.

Never tried VR in DCS but I can imagine what you meant, lets see what future holds.

Take a look at my MODS here

Actually it works pretty well in vr. The mousepointer is stuck in the mid of youre view...so if you map right and left click to youre hotas you can click the switches just with lookin on it! Would be great if such an option were available for trackir...

i7 6700k @ 4,5 Ghz | MSI 1080ti Aero | 32 GB RAM 2133 | 500 GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive |:pilotfly:

"Yes, I know it, but thanks for sharing!!, I even use the mode switch to expand possibilities even further...btw, thinking about upgrade to a Warthog"

I have the X55 also. I decided not to go to the Warthog only because I did not see all that much more in the way of functionality between the 52 and 55. I mean, yes....the 55 has lots of buttons, and toggle switches and all that, but to my mind, I don't see it as anything but relocated assignments. And, the X55 is little problematic with a module or two.

I like the X55 but it didn't really seem like an upgrade to me. I just cannot see investing the $$ in the Warthog at this point.

Actually it works pretty well in vr. The mousepointer is stuck in the mid of youre view...so if you map right and left click to youre hotas you can click the switches just with lookin on it! Would be great if such an option were available for trackir...

Totally agree with you, it would be very nice to see that working on TiRñ

Except that with track IR you may run into problems at the edge of your track-area when looking straight down for example. My view spazzes out sometimes when I try to look at some switches on the pedestals. Not ideal. At least with my setup.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Personally, my choice is to use the keyboard to quickly operate the most used switches. Of course, it all depends on the setup ; I have the Throttle on the left, the Joystick on the Right, and the mouse + keyboard in the middle. That way, I can either use the mouse with my left hand, or engage the autopilot and grab the mouse with my right hand for more accuracy and velocity.

I think the keyboard is a good way (custom pits notwithstanding) to replicate approximately the operation of cockpit switches. It takes a bit more time and attention than HOTAS mappings, but less than using the mouse. I use the mouse chiefly for start-up, and also some preparation switches (like fence checks). Weapons selection, etc... is on my keyboard (or on the HOTAS, depending on the aircraft).

Of course, it also depends much on the aircraft. I fly mostly the M-2000C now, and I rarely need to use the mouse in flight, save for fence checks and weapons ripple and fuze settings. It wouldn't work on the A-10C, because there is much more combat switchology involved, especially with the MFDs.

I got some cougar MFDs. If i'm flying the a-10 ill use both of them but if i'm flying anything else I always have 1 of the MFDs set to switches then I use the 2nd MFD to control the radio commands. I create the macros through voice attack. I also create string macros...i.e. mirage Jetison sequence or the Mig21 landing gear with the gear lock...

I also use Voice Attack along with Vaicom sometimes, but mostly I just use button macros because ill be listening to music or busy chatting with people on TS....

So basically...

Hotas: Essential controls

Cougar MFDs: Secondary controls, Macros, AI Radio Menu... all macros programmed through voice attack because it's easy and works well.

With all these options I have I only require minimal use of the mouse.

I've even gotten good at using the MFDs while wearing my Oculus Rift... Though utilizing VAICOM at that point is the best option.

i9-9900k | 2080 Ti ftw ultra | 32gb DDR4 3200 | Oculus hmd | HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | MFD Cougar

left hand mouse -> no throttle needed anymore

I use my mouse with the left hand. I have no throttle device because I've mapped throttle axis to mouse wheel using a self made program, but you can also use some programs on the internet. My mouse is a Logitech ambidextrous with 6 buttons on it that i use as modifiers. On the right hand, i have T16000M. For radio menus i use voice command program. The point is i don't need the keyboard anymore and i'm ready for virtual headset. I really think it's the only way to go

I use voicebot.:D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I am currently in the middle of developing a gyro mouse especially for flight games.

As proof of concept I took "Measy Air Mouse" from Amazon, spent an our soldering buttons to it and got something like this:

20161123_190634.jpg

I know, it looks awful, but it was done just for own use and just as an experiment. This thing was supposed to be worn on the left hand.

Believe it or not, I succesfully used it almost for a year. The only backbone was a bit sluggish movement sometimes (I believe our dear friends from China used a crappy gyroscope or this device loses bluetooth connection sometimes). Moreover, this thing doesn't allow you to set any deadzones, just pointer speed.

So I took my arduino boards and decided to create something like this on my own, to eliminate at least some flaws of that chinese "air mouse".

At the moment I've already created a USB version (e.g. wired) of it and did a couple of test flights - it proved itself quite precise.

It requires some time to get used to it, but seems like a good "surfaceless" alternative to an ordinary mouse.

Edited by Dami

• Gigabyte Z97X SLI
  • i5 4670K OC + СoolerMaster 212 Evo
  • inno3D GTX980 iChill
  • 16 GB RAM
  • OCZ Vector 128 GB SSD + 3TB Seagate HDD
  • M-Audio 2496 Audiophile
  • Pimax 4K HMD

• Self-made air mouse controller
  • VKB Cobra Z (BRD Mod)
  • Gametrix ECS; VKB T-Rudder
  • Custom Mjoy 16 switch panel
  • Wireless Inertial Tracker + Opentrack

I am currently in the middle of developing a gyro mouse especially for flight games.

As proof of concept I took "Measy Air Mouse" from Amazon, spent an our soldering buttons to it and got something like this:

20161123_190634.jpg

I know, it looks awful, but it was done just for own use and just as an experiment. This thing was supposed to be worn on the left hand.

Believe it or not, I succesfully used it almost for a year. The only backbone was a bit sluggish movement sometimes (I believe our dear friends from China used a crappy gyroscope or this device loses bluetooth connection sometimes). Moreover, this thing doesn't allow you to set any deadzones, just pointer speed.

So I took my arduino boards and decided to create something like this on my own, to eliminate at least some flaws of that chinese "air mouse".

At the moment I've already created a USB version (e.g. wired) of it and did a couple of test flights - it proved itself quite precise.

It requires some time to get used to it, but seems like a good "surfaceless" alternative to an ordinary mouse.

Damn!! now thats really interesting!, thanks for sharing bud :thumbup:

Nothing to thank for, I suppose (at least for now) :)

Currently I've spent like two month to develop my own "air mouse" and I am still not totally satisfied with the result.

Yes, it already works a lot better than a simple gyro board from China, but you know... you can always do better.

At the moment I am creating some filtering methods to make all the switches in the virtual cockpit "click" as smooth as possible regardless of small unintentional hand movements - this will make its use a lot easier and a lot less stresfull for your own hands.

I can also say that you can't play, for example, a 3D shooter game with such a device. (Well, technically you can, but I can guarantee you wouldn't)

The final product will be something which we can call a "pointer" rather than a "mouse" and will be applicable only in the flight sims, I think.

If someone will also show the interest in my project, we could create later a separate thread to discuss it.

• Like 1

• Gigabyte Z97X SLI
  • inno3D GTX980 iChill
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Pimax 4K HMD

• VKB Cobra Z (BRD Mod)
  • Wireless Inertial Tracker + Opentrack

Well, tomorrow should arrive the last pack of parts that I am waiting for.

The firmware for my device is ready, I also created a small program to be able to configure the "air mouse" without using default win settings. The last one needs some UI polishing, but generally it's up and working:

a4abf4ff01cc42d999dcda7dc16adfac.jpg

I also have tested a wired prototype of my device today and seems like it's working a lot better now.

The only task in my TODO list is to make it look a little bit more classy.

Edited by Dami

• Gigabyte Z97X SLI
  • inno3D GTX980 iChill
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Pimax 4K HMD

• VKB Cobra Z (BRD Mod)