Just started DCS World with my Rift. I'm lost, excited, and frustrated.

redmantab

I've been using my Rift with Elite Dangerous and some other games for quite some time, but am brand new to flight sims such as DCS. Pardon my couple new threads in this forum but I don't really know where to turn. To make it easy, here goes in simple form -

1. Where do I go to just have "general discussion" or newbie questions. I looked at this forum index and there seems to be nothing of the sort. It's all created as if I'm already an expert but don't see any guide areas or new player discussion forums or set up guide areas.

https://forums.eagle.ru/index.php

2. I'm currently on the 4th training mission for unguided bombs. I replay the training missions frequently because I'm learning how to fly. EVERY time I Have to listen to the training mission guy yap again and again and I wat until I can fly and try again. Is there a way to "skip faster" through the training mission?

3. So many options with the RIFT and my x52. Do I bind every action to my x52? Do I set my keyboard in between my legs and BUILD A DARN awesome custom cockpit so I don't have to bind it all?

So much coolness....can't find where to start.

I need to be directed to a forum where I can ask all of this or find a guide that can at least speed along the process.

2 hours of training missions and x52 key binding behind me and one (ok . . . 3) cabernet to chill out after kids to sleep and some DCS...but I'm lost. Need some help : )

welcome to DCS World. Its a steep learning curve for sure. Others might disagree with me, but learning a new aircraft, at least a complex one like the A10C is quite the challenge. As a fellow rift user, I am happy that I know where the switches are and what they do, without having to rely on the labeling, which is in VR hard to read (also with pixel density 2.0). I therefore recommend to learn in 2D, and then switch to 3D, thats at least how I did it.

Once in the rift, you absolutely have to use many bindings to your HOTAS (you can also make usre of modifier switches, so you can double bind buttons) and since you play Elite Dangerous, you probably have voice attack, which is immensely useful for flying in VR

It would be helpful if you indicated which airframe you are currently trying to learn so people could recommend good tutorials for you.

Enjoy the learning, thats a good part of the fun actually. I preferred learning the A10 via youtube videos (there are tons of them), rather than in game tutorials

welcome to DCS World. Its a steep learning curve for sure. Others might disagree with me, but learning a new aircraft, at least a complex one like the A10C is quite the challenge. As a fellow rift user, I am happy that I know where the switches are and what they do, without having to rely on the labeling, which is in VR hard to read (also with pixel density 2.0). I therefore recommend to learn in 2D, and then switch to 3D, thats at least how I did it.

Once in the rift, you absolutely have to use many bindings to your HOTAS (you can also make usre of modifier switches, so you can double bind buttons) and since you play Elite Dangerous, you probably have voice attack, which is immensely useful for flying in VR

It would be helpful if you indicated which airframe you are currently trying to learn so people could recommend good tutorials for you.

Enjoy the learning, thats a good part of the fun actually. I preferred learning the A10 via youtube videos (there are tons of them), rather than in game tutorials

Thank you so much man! I also am having fun learning, just lost a bit. Lol, ok a few things if I may.

1 - The jet is the Su27t ...that default plane in the tutorial. Is this the first plane I should learn? Guessing so since it is the only one I have under training options.

2 - The su27 seems to "bounce around alot" when flying. Lol incoming dumb question...is that due to wind or something? i mean I can fly thorugh the training boxes in flight and land ok etc...but it sure bounces around alot with very suttle movmements. This "natural" flight ?

3 - Some hotkeys aren't binding properly to my x52. The buttons that are simple press work...but many on the "left" x52 controller (not about to go google the button name for this post...but the ones that scroll or spin dont bind or show up).

4 - I'd love any profiles you recommend. I'm hearing I should use profiles in game rather than with the x52 program?

5 - So no default profile for every plane eh? I need to learn how to fly each plane in depth and bind keys per plane? That's kinda cool if the case.

6 - finally, i've tried watching you tube videos but they dont depict any dogfighting well. While I enjoy the basics of flight...I am curious. Is air to air combat etc in this game fun?

7 - I can't believe there isn't even a new pilot forum or general discussion area for people in my shoes that are new to ask their silly questions?

Thanks!

I think you are talking about the Su-25t not the 27 :)

1 . Remember, the Su-25t is a FC3 module, so it's a little more simple than the full-DCS version which have also fully clickable cockpits, so in the rift you can flip all switches with your mouse instead of keyboard bindings.

2. flying is not a stable situation, especially when flying slow or in windy conditions.

3. there are toggle functions and on or off commands- but see above- the newer (not FC3) modules all have clickable cockpits

4 warthog User here ;)

5 yes every Plane has its own systems , keybindings and characteristics

6 dogfighting is art - if you make a video about it , you will hear many many disagrees - so that is no pleasure. You can learn how to fight by a "veteran " maybe you join a virtual squadron?!

7 new question are hardly ever the same and there are good flight manuals for every plane. But it's okay to ask a question in the forum. The community is quite mature and helpful.

Good luck with learning to fly

I strongly recommend you to read the manual for the plane you are learning. Choose one and stick with it, it takes lots of time to get used to all the systems (depends on the module) and after that starts the bigger challange or how to correctly use them in battle, different tactics, approaches etc..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

also, you have to know that the free planes that come with DCS world are not study level and (again, others might disagree with me) only a small fraction of the fun. Main difference, the cockpit is not clickable.

In contrast, all the 'payware' modules are extremely high detail and, which is for me the best thing, you can use the mouse to operate all the switches.

I started learning the A10C module, its probably one of the most complex aircraft, but there is excellent documentation and I find clicking switches with the mouse 100x more intuitive than remembering a key combination for engine start..

Can highly recommend it really

(funny side note, I bought my joystick pedals etc all for Elite Dangerous, because Ive been playing this a kid and was excited when it came out. Few weeks later I got so bored with the game, yet annoyed because I bought all this expensive flightsim gear that I had no use for anymore. Then I saw a youtube video of DCS A10.. and I was hooked. Never looked back!)

Just wanted to say keep it up!

If you haven't played flight sims much before then this will be a steep, but worthwhile, learning curve, so take it one step at a time and enjoy learning each bit e.g. how to take off, how to land etc.

Personally I think the training missions are one of the buggiest bits of this sim so I don't use them at all.

Oh, if you are still learning with the SU-25T, I would recommend another module instead if the SU25T does not have a clickable cockpit which is such a brilliant feature in VR.

You can get the modules, especially the older ones like the KA-50 and A-10 incredibly cheaply and they are just as good as the newer ones. Also, some of the simpler ones like F-86F might be worth considering.

You could try searching for Chucks guides: They are brilliant if they cover the aircraft you are learning.

Good luck! This community is great and has put up with many dumb questions from me so don't hesitate to ask anything.

And to answer your question about where to go in this forum:

- There is a general discussion forum for this game which is this one: https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=437

This is also the place were typical newbie questions about the game in general are posted.

- There is also a forum for every aircraft were aircraft specific questions are supposed to go: https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=71

These are only the forums for the aircraft made by ED (Eagle Dynamics, the developer of DCS) themselves. For aircraft made by 3rd party developers you need to go here: https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=200

The simple aircraft with non interactive cockpits (the so called Flamming Cliffs 3 aircraft or just FC3 aircraft) don't have a forum for each aircraft, but a forum for all of them: https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=321

- For questions about joysticks and that kind of stuck you might wanna check the Input and Output forum: https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=96

The Virtual Reality forum where we are right now is a subforum of this.

Aircraft specific keybindings can also be discussed in the aircraft specific forums of course.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

And I went ahead to give you some additional answers to your questions, in addition to the ones you already got :)

Thank you so much man! I also am having fun learning, just lost a bit. Lol, ok a few things if I may.

1 - The jet is the Su27t ...that default plane in the tutorial. Is this the first plane I should learn? Guessing so since it is the only one I have under training options.

You sure it isn't the Su-25 which comes for free with the game? Be aware, that both, the Su-27 and the free Su-25 that comes with the came, are simplified aircraft and part of the Flaming Cliffs 3 (FC3) series as mentioned by previously in this thread. They have simplified avionics and no interactive cockpit with clickable buttons and switches like most DCS aircraft have.

2 - The su27 seems to "bounce around alot" when flying. Lol incoming dumb question...is that due to wind or something? i mean I can fly thorugh the training boxes in flight and land ok etc...but it sure bounces around alot with very suttle movmements. This "natural" flight ?

I have never flown the Su-27 or the Su-25 or any of the simplified FC3 aircraft, so I can't comment on this.

3 - Some hotkeys aren't binding properly to my x52. The buttons that are simple press work...but many on the "left" x52 controller (not about to go google the button name for this post...but the ones that scroll or spin dont bind or show up).

The axis controls (things that are not jsut buttons or switches) can be assigned in the axis controls. You can find it in the dropdown menue next to the aircraft selection drop down menue in the control settings.

4 - I'd love any profiles you recommend. I'm hearing I should use profiles in game rather than with the x52 program?

Yes, ingame assignments are generally recommened.

5 - So no default profile for every plane eh? I need to learn how to fly each plane in depth and bind keys per plane? That's kinda cool if the case.

There is only a real default profile for the A-10C and the Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick as far as I know.

6 - finally, i've tried watching you tube videos but they dont depict any dogfighting well. While I enjoy the basics of flight...I am curious. Is air to air combat etc in this game fun?

Oh yes it is, but not with the Su-25 which is ground punder ;)

7 - I can't believe there isn't even a new pilot forum or general discussionarea for people in my shoes that are new to ask their silly questions?

see my previous post :)

Welcome to DCS :)

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

So real quick because I'm on my phone...

Su25T, the free plane that comes with DCS world. Start with that! It's a pig to fly, but it is a blast once you master it. And once you have the basic A2G stuff down with it, the principals translate over to the high fidelity modules like the A10C.

YouTube is your friend. Especially for the Su25T and A10C. Lots of outstanding tutorials on there.

A voice command program, get one, example VoiceAttack. Envaluable in the Rift, especially in planes without clickable cockpits.

Key bindings, look up the "modifier" tab. Make an unused easy to get to HOTAS button a modifier, then you can basically map almost all major commands to your HOTAS as holding down the modifier pretty much means you can map all buttons twice.

UI Layer tab in controls. Map your left and right mouse buttons to your HOTAS, I map my left click, then map my right click to the same button with the modifier held down.

DCS World download page, user files. Get English cockpits for your planes, saves learning new words and a new plane at the same time. ; )

Last, you jumped over to DCS in VR right when ED is in the middle of overhauling model visibility in the distance, and apparently Oculus's new runtime and DCS aren't getting along great. It will all work itself out in a few months so don't get frustrates if the graphics give you issues and turn on labels until you know what stuff looks like.

Have fun.

Sage

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

Thanks a million everyone. Going to mull over and apply much of this advice and, almost assuredly, return with more questions.

After practicing more with basics in my su25 training free plane...I will choose one that has a fully clickable cockpit. Any advice on what plane to use that also will have a training section similar to the built in training? I'm sure i'll need it.

It depends what aircraft you like.

If you like modern air to ground go for a10c, if you like air to air you can practice with simplified su27 f15, or the rest of the FC3 it will take a while until you get decent at A2A tactics it is an art and aftr that go for M2000 for the advanced module. Or if you prefer older style A2A planes - mig21, f5 are vietnam war planes or you even can go back in time for a first jets f86 sabre or mig15. Or why not world war 2planes :)

If you like helicopters, all are very good and different.

So it is all about your personal likeness.

Note that it is essential to learn all the weapons (missiles, rockets, bombs) and their characteristics and air defences so you can properly use them and defend from them but you will get to that point :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by metzger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok fellas, things are moving along. What about graphics settings? We all have relatively similar rigs if we are running vr. I am w10 g4 bit, 1 TB SSD, i7 4790, 16 gig ram (that good enough?), 980 Ti.

- Is there an accepted "general norm" for graphics settings most people with a similar rigs are using to obtain reasonable results? In training I have almost no judder with everything at high but in a create a mission I had some pretty bad judder

- Does the resolution selection matter? In some vr game that is just for the monitor resolution but when I lowered it it made everything look far worse.

So real quick because I'm on my phone...

Su25T, the free plane that comes with DCS world. Start with that! It's a pig to fly, but it is a blast once you master it. And once you have the basic A2G stuff down with it, the principals translate over to the high fidelity modules like the A10C.

YouTube is your friend. Especially for the Su25T and A10C. Lots of outstanding tutorials on there.

A voice command program, get one, example VoiceAttack. Envaluable in the Rift, especially in planes without clickable cockpits.

Key bindings, look up the "modifier" tab. Make an unused easy to get to HOTAS button a modifier, then you can basically map almost all major commands to your HOTAS as holding down the modifier pretty much means you can map all buttons twice.

UI Layer tab in controls. Map your left and right mouse buttons to your HOTAS, I map my left click, then map my right click to the same button with the modifier held down.

DCS World download page, user files. Get English cockpits for your planes, saves learning new words and a new plane at the same time. ; )

Last, you jumped over to DCS in VR right when ED is in the middle of overhauling model visibility in the distance, and apparently Oculus's new runtime and DCS aren't getting along great. It will all work itself out in a few months so don't get frustrates if the graphics give you issues and turn on labels until you know what stuff looks like.

Have fun.

Sage

I've looked under the downloads page and cannot for the life of me find an English cockpit section for English cockpits to download. Would you kindly please link?

Thank you. The Erase Failure Red switch light area in the cockpit was going off like crazy the other day I tried a mission. lol erase failure? whats' that? I know, i'll read the manual.

so...where is the su25t manual. And, how do I install this English mod? There are no directions at all...figures. How do I install it?

Thank you. The Erase Failure Red switch light area in the cockpit was going off like crazy the other day I tried a mission. lol erase failure? whats' that? I know, i'll read the manual.

so...where is the su25t manual. And, how do I install this English mod? There are no directions at all...figures. How do I install it?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

JSGME. For loading mods.

Manual... not sure. Basically just Google and YouTube is how I learned.

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord