Default position of fuel boost pump and generators switches in a cold start

Fer109

In a cold start, you will normally find fuel boost pump and generators switches in off position, and according to normal procedures they have to be placed on for starting up engines.

In my opinion, these switches should be on by default at the beginning of the mission.

To support my suggestion, if we read ENGINE SHUTDOWN procedure in T.O. 1F-5E-1, Section II, we can find in step 3, that fuel boost  pump and generator switched are leaved on.

Therefore, It is normal to expect finding them on in the next start.

I know that these changes would affect to DCS F-5E manual and the training mission, but it would be nice this minor issue to be corrected.

In a cold start, you will normally find fuel boost pump and generators switches in off position, and according to normal procedures they have to be placed on for starting up engines.

In my opinion, these switches should be on by default at the beginning of the mission.

To support my suggestion, if we read ENGINE SHUTDOWN procedure in T.O. 1F-5E-1, Section II, we can find in step 3, that fuel boost  pump and generator switched are leaved on.

Therefore, It is normal to expect finding them on in the next start.

I know that these changes would affect to DCS F-5E manual and the training mission, but it would be nice this minor issue to be corrected.

I would prefer something other that just "cold" start. Maybe cold start would mean the aircraft is just released from maintenance and those switches are off (as it currently is the case). Maybe there should be a "warm" start configuration, where the aircraft has simply been "turned around" from a previous mission and some of those switches are still on as expected. That way it would give more options, more flexibility to us all.

They are normally left on for the ground crew checks etc then the ground crew will switch everything off. this is standard for a lot of aircraft as some ground checks require certain things to be on some of which would involve going through a lot of other things if the switches are not left on.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

I would prefer something other that just "cold" start. Maybe cold start would mean the aircraft is just released from maintenance and those switches are off (as it currently is the case). Maybe there should be a "warm" start configuration, where the aircraft has simply been "turned around" from a previous mission and some of those switches are still on as expected. That way it would give more options, more flexibility to us all.

You can read in DCS F5E-3 Flight Manual, Normal Procedures, page 189:

"Put aircraft in “cold start at the ramp” position for engines start procedure. During cold start all switches are set to required position, i.e. preflight procedures are completely fulfilled".

What you prefer, Andrew, could be fine... but I prefer what we can read in official manuals too.

They are normally left on for the ground crew checks etc then the ground crew will switch everything off. this is standard for a lot of aircraft as some ground checks require certain things to be on some of which would involve going through a lot of other things if the switches are not left on.

I agree G00dnight, but before every flight, fighters are pre-flight checked by ground crew, using a checklist, and they "deliver" the plane to pilots in a standard and proper way.

Normally this way is the same way that pilot leave the plane after doing ENGINE SHUTDOWN procedure.

And as you can read in DCS F5E-3 Flight Manual, page 206, Engine Shutdown procedure, step 4:

"4. All Unguarded Switches (except battery, generators, and fuel boost pumps) – OFF. "

Moreover, we use to find the plane in a "cold start" with airbrakes out and flaps up, because this reason, ergo, because in the After Landing procedure we have to put them in that way.

Edited by Fer109

Speaking from RW experience, if you get the your plane directly from the maintenance guys you have to check and doublecheck all switches because they tend to alter everything in your cockpit when working on your airplane!

I see your point, and I totally agree specially after a long time fixing failures or

maintenance works.

But normally, flying after a previous flight with no maintanace duty in the middle, you will find all the switches as expected by procedures.

Fer109, I read over the part in the DCS/Belsimtek manual you are talking about. I see your point. If there is nothing wrong with boost pump and generator switches being on at power-up (battery or ground power) in a real aircraft, then I'm fine with it. Then I agree with you. However, the DCS F-5E-3 manual is obviously not the real F-5E manual. Did Belsimtek faithfully copy over the correct procedures from the real USAF or Northrup Flight Manual or Pilot Checklist? Maybe. Is there a link in the Forums to a copy of the real USAF or Northrup manuals? I saw the one for the non-nuclear weapons systems. The F-5E-3 does not yet have fire bombs, as the real manual describes, for instance.

I tried a startup in the sim with generator switches already on. Doesn't seem to make any difference. Maybe they are normally left on, in practice, in the real aircraft. Then Cold Start should have them on, as you are saying. Maybe after a "repair" is selected in the sim, only then the switches should or could be found in the OFF position.

Andrew8604, I agree that if we find boost fuel pump and generators on or off at the beginning of the mission will not make big difference but,

Firstly, its the correct way as pilot should find these switches.

Secondly, we should not mix what it is implemented from what it is not.

I am not asking to implement new weapons not implemented yet (as you mention nuclear bombs), I just requesting to "correct" default position of some switches that they are already implemented.

In general, I dislike to be discussing in this topic "bugs and problems" what we prefer, think or desire. We should focus in reporting things to be corrected or revised.

And last but not least, it is quite easy to fix.

Belsimtek has made a very nice work with this F-5E module. As mentioned in the e-shop this module has a "Detailed modelling of the F-5E instruments, engine, radios, fuel, electrical, and hydraulic systems", so, I just want to help them to comply with that. It will be good for everybody, Belsimtek, DCS and users.