question about the K-14 visier

Little_D

Hi gents,

as i whant to make a video about the use of the K-14 visier, i try to find out how the K-14 visier of the FW190D-9 works. i read the DCS operating manual of the D-9 and also the original FW D-9 operating manual also the original manual of the K-14 visier. but it dident work fo me as it should, so here is my problem:

1. first test and use:

I set the wingspan to the plane i fight against, set the distance of 600m

and than correct continuously the distans till ich reach my shoting range.

i hold all the time the plane in the visier at the point i whant to hit the enemy plane.

a) if i shoot in a turn or climb, the bullets and tracer go behind the plane and also above or under the enemy plane if i put the visier directly on the enemy plane.

b) if i shoot from the death six on an enemy, the bullets and tracer go over the enemy plane if i put the visier directly on the enemy plane.

2. second test and use:

I set the wingspan to the plane i fight against, set the distance to my shoting range. i hold all the time the plane in the visier at the point i whant to hit the enemy plane.

a) if i shoot in a turn or climb, the bullets and tracer go behind the plane and also above or under the enemy plane if i put the visier directly on the enemy plane.

b) if i shoot from the death six on an enemy, the bullets and tracer go over the enemy plane if i put the visier directly on the enemy plane.

As you can see, there is no differenc between the 2 different use of the K-14 visier. I know the good video from Chuck_Owl about the K-14 visier, but even there you see that the bullets and tracer go over the enemy plane

when he put the visier directly on the plane, to hit he has to aim a little bit under the enemy plane. That looks to me as the K-14 visier dident know the

flight parabola of the bullets for an shoot with the guns set to 600m. should the K-14 calculate the right aim even for a shot at 150m? If i aim with the K-14 automatic on, like i would aim with a normal visier i hit the enemy.

So what do i wrong?

regards

Little_D

1./JG2_Little_D

Staffelkapitän

1./Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"

"Go for the leader, if you can. The path is the goal, the kill the result."

"The one who has 12, leads. The one who has six, follows."

YouTube Channel: 1./JG2 Filmkanal

So what do i wrong?
Nothing at all, just you have to learn to walk before learning to run :smilewink:.

First of all, have you uncaged the sight's gyro before trying to use the predictive feature? Looks like you want it to predict a thing while caged, that's not gonna happen :thumbup:.

Also, IIRC German EZ42 have a configuration for target range. It's a bit tricky to set as it's a little hidden in aft right panel (not very much intended for a combat use), but of course sight prediction depends not only on target wingspan but also on its speed. It's set by default for an average target speed, probably 300Km/h but I don't recall the exact data. The sight can be a bit off because of that, depending on what are you shooting at. Personally I don't like the predictive sight so I just fire eyeballing with the fixed sight. Either if you don't uncage the sight, so gyro isn't working, or you don't configure properly the predictive feature your fire will go behind target, that's physics.

Also when right behind the target if you aim directly to the enemy your fire will always go above the target, as guns are harmonized for a distance (your 600m) and that's including bullets fall with time so bullets need to go up first. The closer you are to the target the higher your bullets are gonna travel. The sight, even a predictive one, aren't a magical piece of hardware and the pilot has to work to hit the target.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I think that the most important thing is that these gyro sights show only place where your bullets will be but not place where target will be.

if you set distace 600m, sight shows you exact point where you will shot in distance 600m. But target plane will move between you start shot and bullets reach that point.

Gyro sights help you to know "how behind" your path you shot, they can not predict target movement.

btw. bullet tooks 600m nearly one second, plane flying 500km/h move nearly 140m from point which you aimed when you start shoting (and there is not only distance but side movement in turning too)

it is way how i understand it...

F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K | Mosquito FB VI | WWII Assets Pack

Normandy | The Channel

F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | Syria | PG | NTTR | CA | SC |

Hi gents,

thx for the anserws, so the K-14 automatic visier is useless under 600m as i need to aim like with the fixed visier. i dont need to know where the bullets will be when i shoot. i was thinking it calculate the correct aim for me, so i only need to bring the visier over the part of the plane i whant to hit and than open fire.

regards

Little_D

1./JG2_Little_D

Staffelkapitän

1./Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"

"Go for the leader, if you can. The path is the goal, the kill the result."

"The one who has 12, leads. The one who has six, follows."

YouTube Channel: 1./JG2 Filmkanal

No, it is really useful device. Mainly in turning fight when target is close but you have to set target wingspan precisely and do permanent distance correction.

Increasing distance between you and your target require increasing prediction where target will be in time when bullets come.

F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K | Mosquito FB VI | WWII Assets Pack

Normandy | The Channel

F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | Syria | PG | NTTR | CA | SC |

@Little D

I just want to point out that the K-14 Gunsight uses feet as unit of measurment, so the 600 means 600ft=182m

The convergence of the .50cal guns is set at 1000ft=304m.

NVM this is Fw190 thread :P

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA