New clouds, rain effects etc

Mizzy

At the beginning of this year, it was mentioned that new effects would be added to DCS ! I am mainly talking about new clouds, rain effects, environmental etc. I am just enquiring as to the development of the said and if it's going to be part of DCS 2.5.

On a different tangent, will DCS ever consider commercial aircraft for modules rather than all combat aircraft ? Afterall DCS could mean Digital Commercial Simulator......OR DCCS ;-)

Mizzy

Edited by Mizzy

I believe it was mentioned that these effects will be implemented (or worked towards) in DCS 2.5...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I'm curious as to why this was moved to wishlist area when what you asked about was already seen in videos that Matt Wagner made. The new clouds were shown in an early NTTR video and the new rain effect was shown in 1.5 with the L-39 I believe.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

Simply put, they were work in progress videos. There is a huge difference in a demo, and a fully fledged update. The new clouds were I understand, having too great an impact on frame rates at the time they were revealed.

There is not much point to them if they reduce your experience to a series of stutters, or worse yet, a slide show.

The "rain" effect from the aforementioned L-39 preview vid is here already, though it looks a bit like flying through light cloud / fog.

Some new WIP clouds have been implemented as well and last time I checked one could turn them on by editing relevant line in one of .lua files (maybe we still can?), but they were fps-murderers even on monster computers, so it doesn't make much sense to use them for now. They're still WIP though, so let's wait and see what future brings.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I have seen several preview L-39 videos but no rain in there...could someone give me a link please?

Clouds vid: He goes through the clouds at 5:45

L-39 "rain effect" vid: Skip to about 2m40s

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

Thanks mate!, I watched the first one long time ago but not the second one:thumbup:

No problem. Hey unrelated, how are you liking the i7 6700k?

I'm still on a sandy bridge i5 and have been debating whether or not to upgrade.

Well, I see you have a very similar system to mine (except 32gb ram which may improve things a liitle bit)...Sincerely, I havent seen much of an improvement in MOST situations BUT, there are some particular situations in which I think it has improved quite a lot...

One of them is the first Red Flag mission for the A-10 (the arrival to Nellis), I remember when using my old 2500k@4,4Ghz that this mission runned like crap, even in my SSD and it was driving me crazy!!...after switching to the 6700k it runs smooth as butter!!...and Im not sure why, because CPU usage with 2500k was not very high (even looking per core usage) but I see my 6700k going up to 85% now :shocking: in 1 core sometimes (I think the 8th) which should meant that the 2500k was not enough for DCS.

Also note that I have it stock right now so just 4Ghz and it runs very nice (I can OC to 4,6Ghz but I think I dont need it yet, at least with the 970)

What I can asure you after upgrading to 6700k is that the weak link in the chain is the 970!!, thats for sure...specially the lack of enough VRAM for DCS...this is the major culprit for low performance sometimes I think, and as I said before, the reason I wont OC the CPU until upgrading my GPU. I guess after upgrading to a 1070/1080 the CPU update will be way more noticeable and I will really see the benefits of increased CPU power.

Moreover, in terms of general gaming/PC usage Im really enjoying 6700k, its A LOT faster than my 2500k@4,4 even being at stock (witcher 3 gives me like 3x more performance than before, Battlefiels 1/4/3, etc.) so I think its a great upgrade if you are willing to do it!! if not, 2500k is great piece of hardware and after so many years it stills there doing it very well :thumbup:

Take a look at my MODS here

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I do love my 2500k and it has served me well thus far. I think more than DCS, it's X-Plane 10/11 that is really pushing me to upgrade my CPU. But I've read such great things about the new skylake CPUs that I think I've already made up my mind ;)

If I can afford a 1070 or 1080 that would be icing on the cake.