Controller assignments

Goblin

I have a suggestion.

When I want to map a switch on my controller, for starting the engine, I map engine start on to a specific switch. For that switch to activate the starter, I must also map a switch for raising the starter button cover, in order for the engine start switch to work at all.

This is very inconvenient when you are building a physical cockpit. You need to design a electrical switch that senses that he cover has been lifted. In the physical world, this is just a mechanical lid, that covers the button and prevents accidental activation.

It would be far more practical to just have to map the engine starter button to a switch, and just use a mechanical cover to guard the switch.

Could you make the engine starter switch independent of the state of the cover, please?

Same goes for starting the Turbo (APU).

After all, I am allowed to raise and lower the gear, without first activating the handle lock...

Edited by Goblin

• 2 weeks later...

It's a simulation. They have to model the switch covers too.

It's not hard to open both. Helios can do it and a simple keystroke sent will do it too. Send the switch command twice and it will open it. Most normal people use a mouse to run the sim. Oddball pit builders like you and me must find different ways.

I put a normally closed button under my switch cover to work.

You do know we are wasting our time with this request? :)

After all, I am allowed to raise and lower the gear, without first activating the handle lock...

Not in Mig-21 - what make CH HOTAS'sss owners cry a lot. :P

Well, the solution is "simulate" that mouse arrow is your finger tip, and flip that covers. ;)

After all is all about "simulation". :D

Edited by Sokol1_br

Not in Mig-21 - what make CH HOTAS'sss owners cry a lot. :P

This remember me a trick in LUA that allow you create a kind "mapped key on press/mapped key on release" command.

Using this you can add in one button/key two functions: remove the lid and press the start button.

I don't have this specific module, the example is for Mig-21 landing Gear, but show the logic and you can adapt.

{combos={{key='G',reformers={'RShift'}}},down=device_commands.GearHandleFixator,up=device_commands.GearLever,cockpit_device_id=devices.GEARS,value_down=1.0,value_up=1.0,name='Gears Handle Lock released + Gear Up',category='Gears, brakes and chute'},

In this code press RSHift+G remove the LG lock and move LG handle up. What happen is the "press" command the lock and the "release" command LG handle.

For use keys edit in:

...\DCS World\Mods\aircraft"aircraft name"\Input"aircraft name"\keyboard

For joystick buttons:

...\DCS World\Mods\aircraft"aicraft name"\Input"aircraft name"\joystsick

As always make backup before and after edit the file, patches mess this custom commands, using that JS... MOD Installer make more easy manage this.

Edited by Sokol1_br

The L-39 also has a gear handle lock. But you don't have to release this lock to move the handle.

But to start the engine, you have to raise the lid, before pressing the button.

I understand the sim aspect. But if you want to go 100% sim, and integrate a real L-39 cockpit with DCS, you would have do build small switches to register when the physical button lid is lifted in the real cockpit... So, it's both because DCS is a realistic sim, and not, at the same time... ;)

They could keep the commands like they are today, and make new commands that both lift the lid and press the button, with just one command. Press a button, the lid is lifted, button pushed and lid is closed.

This is full of "up" and "down".

Mig-21 for example don't follow LG switch standard for armament covers (this is done more "gamey).

Bf 109 K-4 (and Mig-15) model the KG-13B trigger in (IMO) right way, as IRL is need "unfold" the trigger down to be able to use MG and cannons, similar do the way that are in Ka-50.

I am DIY a KG-12 that will have a hidden button under trigger button to command this in game, unfold the joystick trigger will unfold the in game trigger and unlock weapons. :)

But in Fw 190 D-9 the trigger (in same KG-13B grip), flip down and up every time the trigger is pressed, in same "gamey" way that is in last IL-2 version. So in this my trigger "MOD" will be useless...

Always are "Greeks and Trojans" options about the "right way" to do.

;)

Edited by Sokol1_br

Yeah, exactly. So why not have it both ways, and let the player decide..?

IMO simulating these mechanical safety catches is an attempt at realism, that in fact becomes unrealistic if you have a real controller. Catch 22 :)

But it seems like it would be really easy for developers to add commands that doesn't require simulating the safety catches.