Tips on keeping targets in view w/TGP

Bahnzo

As I continue learning the A-10C, one thing I need to work on is keeping targets in view with the TGP.

Normally the TGP is placed on the right wing, so I'd assume you are best off keeping your targets off your right wing. But what other tips/tricks/hints do you more experienced A10 pilots have for keeping your targets in view with your TGP? I could really use some training up on this one.

Hey Bahnzo,

This issue is one experienced by much of the Hog community. There truthfully isn't an answer that fits all scenarios. Sometimes you encounter altitude restrictions, terrain, etc. However, I've found that the best way to keep the TGP on a target area is to increase altitude and keep distance. In the A-10, a good distance to the target is around 6-9 miles I've found, that way you can keep a wider view of the target area but still be close enough to get kinetic with any kind of urgency. Always try to orbit the target with the TGP's wing facing the target, and avoid high bank angles. Keep pylon obstructions in mind. If I can help it, I don't load anything on stations 12 and 1 to avoid the TGP being masked by pylon equipment.

Hope this helps.

Kippy

• Like 1

Hey B,

Kippy has great points and the one you hit on the head is experience.

There are many things you can do here. Situations aside it'll vary. Is there an air threat. Do you need to mask your sound? conduct a first strike pass?

Keyhole works great for me and the easy solution is Echo 5. 5 nm from target essentially doing a great big old circle around the target.

Make the target a mark point and a lazy figure 8 can help maximize time of eyes on target.

Im a big fan of training with no TGP and keep the head outside the cockpit. Of course this helps if there is a large man made or geographical feature or mark. i.e. A tank already on fire can be used as a mark.

I hope that helps and dont be afraid to fly into harms way!

• Like 1

My CAS (Close air support) JTAC Channel:  RIFLE - YouTube  

RIFLE's Discord:  https://discord.gg/cmDCrr4Z2g  

Publications

JTAC Bible (see/know chapter #5) https://fas.org/irp/doddir/dod/jp3_09_3.pdf

J-FIRE pocket guide (Don't do battle without it!)  BK2 (fas.org)

I found the big help to avoid blocking the view is simply understand where to is really looking at, and this is ready by looking the tho itself under wing where it head is aiming at. Then it became super easy to avoid blocking.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Thanks guys. One thing I've read is moving the AIM's to the other wing (removing the ALQ, it was said the jammer doesn't work and I've noticed that also) to help remove them from the right side. Any thoughts on that?

Another thing since we are talking about the TGP. There's the direction indicator in the upper right hand corner of the screen. It has the "N" and I assume the arrow points to the North, correct? But there's also another line crossing the "N"...what is that?

The 2nd line just represents E & W. This "compass" is great for helping you line up enemies for bombing/gun runs. Also useful when given a moving target from JTAC. By the time you get TGP on target they'll already be gone. JTAC does tell you what direction they're travelling so you'll know which direction to slew TGP.

• Like 1

Just a stupid question... I'm sure there is a really good reason, but why didn't they mount the sensor on the outer most pilon??? Bank right or left the thing still gets covered by the AIM9 pilon. Only very gentile banks work for me otherwise just when I'm ready to lock on some part of the pilon gets in the way.

The AIM 9 for me is useless for anything buy a helo... an SU25 will down me every time I try to to Air:Air with them.

Can we dump the right most pilon??

Just a stupid question... I'm sure there is a really good reason, but why didn't they mount the sensor on the outer most pilon??? Bank right or left the thing still gets covered by the AIM9 pilon.

Short answer is: wiring.

Only very gentile banks work for me otherwise just when I'm ready to lock on some part of the pilon gets in the way.

The reliance on TGP amazes me :D

Flying gentle/easy/steady over battlefield makes you a perfect SLAT

The AIM 9 for me is useless for anything buy a helo... an SU25 will down me every time I try to to Air:Air with them.

You know how they say, practice makes perfect!

Can we dump the right most pilon??

What do you mean by that?

Edited by Nu-NRG

Aviate - Navigate - Communicate

I'm guessing he means remove AIM-9's . Why not. None of my custom loadouts have them. Only thing is for balancing you'll want to leave a store on other wing empty or equally loadout all stores.

Aim-9 is there for self protection. You don't come unarmed in to a gunfight.

They carry it in real life as well. For those, unseen or unpredicted situations.

Also when ever they do not carry AIM-9 they do carry CAP-9 or AIS on that station (training).

Aviate - Navigate - Communicate

AFAIK, A-10s rarely carried AIM-9s in Afghanistan for obvious reasons.

In DCS, I personally think it's best to only carry them when you stand a chance of needing them. A lot of the missions I participate in are mostly counter-insurgency operations where we don't have to worry about Su-27s breathing down our necks. I do believe it is much better to be safe than sorry, and the AIM-9s add very little weight. However, they do obstruct the TGP view quite often, so I've made it a habit to load them on Station 1 or not at all (Assuming I load the TGP on 11.)

Bahnzo, What I will say is that in my 1000+ hours in the Hog, I've spent much more time looking out of the cockpit than at the TGP. Now, this of course is due to the fact that most of the missions I've flown have been against opponents that lack heavy SAMs and AAA gear, so as such there was no need to keep a distance where only the TGP can be used to see the TA. Even with that being said, I absolutely encourage you to spend a good portion of your time over a target area orbiting the target low and slow, visually acquiring targets when possible. While LGBs and JDAMs are nice, the A-10's primary CAS tools continue to be the Mk.I Eyeball and the GAU-8.

Kippy

Your wisdom is well appreciated, I'll modify the missions to put the sidewinders on station 1 or leave them off in place of a mav or rocket pod. If I'm going into an area I expect to have A:A support. The times I've gone head to head with Su25's I can't even get a lock on before they have fired. The visual thing is very true, but with the resolution of our displays finding small targets is a real bugger.... I'm going to try track IR for Xmas perhaps that will give an edge.

Keep shootin & God Bless America....!!!

rickberry49, thank you for the kind words.

Just allow me to say that Track IR.. words cannot possibly express the difference it makes. I'm sure you've heard it before, but truthfully, Track IR will transform your A-10 experience. It allows you to keep your hands on the stick and throttle, which is vital for HOTAS aircraft like the A-10. It also allows you to quickly check MFDs, and it will allow you the most critical ability of all: To turn low and slow around a target area and continually track targets. Once I got Track IR, my combat style switched immediately. No longer did I sit at 15,000ft lasing GBU-12s. If I had the option, I'd hit the deck and experience the A-10C in it's most fun state, circling a TA at 220 knots, making gun passes.

Godspeed and best of luck to you with your time in the Pig! She truly is a wonderful plane!

process.php?d=joV9uUyLUFBbk87cXVTBi8VSPnQOmSVxocj40yeN88GrHmmlcXp1Q29K6gXt2aWMFErnly0ynr8VoX0%3D&b=1

On my list for Xmas....!!!!

Kippy,

You're other comments are right on... I spend too much time trying to find stuff with the mouse pan&zoom or the top hat on the stick...

Got to fly back seat in F4J at Miramar (Top Gun) school with my CO. Did low level passes over Enterprise 500ft @ 900 knts, low but not slow...!!! Pull out was a bugger... also did a mock dog fight, don't know how they keep their heads up...?? Also, damm near puked, so for you guys that are yanking the stick all around, when you hear the guy grunting... it's for real...

Thanks for the help and info...!! Keep shootin'