[MERGED] White Boxes on Skin And/Or White Sections of Aircraft

Empty.png? Wherr do I get that file?

/DCS WORLD/Bazar/TempTextures/Empty.png

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Now apparently this doesn't work. I checked a couple of faulty liveries and their description.lua's, and none of them contained "empty.tga", always just "empty". Also replaced the empty.tga in the livery folder with empty.png. No difference, gray boxes still there, livery still faulty. Also the problem is, most liveries don't even contain an empty.tga file, and their descriptions are not calling for this file.

Now apparently this doesn't work. I checked a couple of faulty liveries and their description.lua's, and none of them contained "empty.tga", always just "empty". Also replaced the empty.tga in the livery folder with empty.png. No difference, gray boxes still there, livery still faulty. Also the problem is, most liveries don't even contain an empty.tga file, and their descriptions are not calling for this file.

Which Liveries are you running?

Also Changing one will not fix if another is still using the wrong file call or TGA File.

They all need to be fixed.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

It is in many stock DCS skins as well. Several of the Mustang skins and A-10 skins. I have spent a long time going through description luas and removing references to empty.tga and adding png to the empty. Major fail on the update and if DCS could just acknowledge it I would be happy. Not everyone is as savvy with Notepad ++ like I am. A batch should be developed but as usual it is the end users fault and not DCSs in any way. One upset paying customer right here but that doesn't matter either.

The ONLY Liveries that would contain EMPTY.TGA are 3rd party Liveries, nothing in the DCS Base Install Contains EMPTY.TGA

It is not Eagle Dynamics Responsibility to Update or Maintain 3rd Party Applications or Mods, That Responsibility falls on the Original Author.

Takes like 2 minutes Tops for a Average user.

Open Notepad++, Press CTRL+SHIFT+F To Bring Up Find In Files menu,

Find What: "EMPTY.TGA"

Replace With: "EMPTY"

Filters: *.lua

Directory: SET TO your Base /DCSWORLD/ Folder or your /Saved Games/ Liveries Folder if they are located there.

Search Mode Normal

Check Box for Subfolder

Click Replace In Files... and Done.

copy the empty.png to any livery that contained the empty.tga

Start, My Computer, Navigate to your Base /DCS World/ Folder in the Search box Type "empty.tga" Let it Search, Delete any copies it found.

I did this en mass the first time thinking it would be real quick. After having to re-install after trashing DCS I would not recommend this at all. Safer to do each and every livery folder separate.

It is in many stock DCS skins as well. Several of the Mustang skins and A-10 skins. I have spent a long time going through description luas and removing references to empty.tga and adding png to the empty. Major fail on the update and if DCS could just acknowledge it I would be happy. Not everyone is as savvy with Notepad ++ like I am. A batch should be developed but as usual it is the end users fault and not DCSs in any way. One upset paying customer right here but that doesn't matter either.

I have a 3 Stock Installs for testing, and none of them define Empty.TGA in any of the A-10C Liveries or P-51D Liveries.

Which Liveries are you seeing this on?

Edited by SkateZilla

I have a 3 Stock Installs for testing, and none of them fine Empty.TGA in any of the A-10C Liveries or P-51D Liveries.

Which Liveries are you seeing this on?

I do not have empty.tgas either. I had to alter the description.lua file for every livery folder. It referenced empty.tgas that are not there. I added png to the words empty in the description.lau and all the skins are good with the exception of some smeared graphic on the A-10 engine.

Now the problem is most liveries do not include their own empty.tga files, they all bind to one single file, which I am unable to locate. Any clue where I can find that one?

EMPTY.PNG replaced EMPTY.TGA

Which Resides in /DCS WORLD/BAZAR/TempTextures/ Folder.

Changing True to False will tell DCS to Use the File within that Folder

Basically

TRUE = SCAN FOR FILE OUTSIDE OF FOLDER

FALSE = USE FILE WITHIN LIVERY FOLDER

What would help 3rd party developers is to know what the change was and why and it is a big change obviously.

I am going to leave it right there as I have been told several time by DCS, not my problem, in a nutshell. Just glad it is fixable. You, Skatetzilla, have always been an awesome resource and help.

I know I am grateful! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

I do not have empty.tgas either. I had to alter the description.lua file for every livery folder. It referenced empty.tgas that are not there. I added png to the words empty in the description.lau and all the skins are good with the exception of some smeared graphic on the A-10 engine.

Like I said, I searched EMPTY.TGA within all DCS LUA's of a Stock install and Found none.

The Smear on the Right Engine is an entirely separate issue w/ 3D Model.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of the liveries having White Boxes, and White Sections,

But So Far the ONLY way I can get the symptom is by installing liveries with Empty.tga as part of the livery.

I am having a weird issue where my F-5E will only use installed skins that come with the module. Still working on that. The skins were working, pre trashed install, with white boxes. Now I have a fresh install and can't get 3rd party skins to work in just the F-5E so it is a Belsimtek issue.

it's not just the description luas

you have to make sure no 3rd party liveries load the empty.tga file other wise you'll get this:

This is what happens when I change the empty.dds file in one of my liveries w/ one empty.tga file. (while still calling "empty" as a texture name)

and it effects every livery after it loads that empty.tga livery, as the empty.tga is loaded as "empty" into the memory and re-used on every livery that calls for empty

So.. Like I said,

Make sure there are not Empty.tga calls, and make sure every livery is either using dcs's empty.png ("empty", true) values.

and/or livery has empty.tga file replaced w/ an empty dds or png

attachment.php?attachmentid=151646&stc=1&d=1479158690

1692185369_ModelViewer2016-11-1416-22-19-91.thumb.jpg.15cea1d0828fc423844494e0b2d5b5bd.jpg

Edited by SkateZilla

I have no empty.tga file left anymore, but liveries are still faulty. All the other liveries call for the empty outside their own folder, and none of them has .tga in it. Would it be safe to replace any "empty.tga" line in all .lua's? I'm afraid of breaking dcs.

Most likely there must be one empty.tga file left which I am unable to locate

Edited by berk.kp

@SkateZilla I'm getting really desparate in here. I deleted all the empty.tga files, there is none left, and the error shouldn't appear no matter if the .lua-file is scanning for "empty false" inside or "empty true" outside the livery folder. What is still causing the error? Do I still need to delete any empty.tga call?

Good question berk.kp However, one you are not likely to get a comprehensive answer to because there are a large number of modders beavering away out there to produce new skins.

The key is, ED are not responsible for third party work, and any skins you download and install. Also, as the thrid parties are generally just hobbyists like yourself, what kind of re-imbursement are you willing to make for those free skins that you expect to be maintained into the unknown future of DCS World?

Otherwise, just take it on the chin, and be thankful that the guys who figured out the issue and shared it with us also took time out from their busy schedule to do that for you.

It isn't a major bug anyway, it is just an inconvenience that is easily resolved. It affects only non-original user mods, and I think you are getting things entirely out of proportion, wouldn't you agree?