Missile trail visibility affected by cold temperature?

ObiWanKenewbie

Hey guys,

does air-temperature affect missile-trail visibility?

I was just flying a mission that I build in the ME for the SU-25T - the weather set to winter, - 12°C, Snowing, Cloudlayer-intensity on 8. There is a M1097 Avenger guarding a M1A2 squad. Since the Su-25T is not equipped with a IR-MWS, you have to rely on your eyes to actually catch a missile being fired, indicated by the big, phat smoketrail that it drags across the sky.

I did not see a single one of the four missiles that were fired at me, and I asked myself if it has anything to do with the air-temperature or the weather in general.

cheers,

Obi

See, decide, attack, reverse.

- Major Erich Hartmann

My Youtube-Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqencK0VKWmjMdHOeAPA6qg

Not really. There are youtube videos of various missiles being launched in various conditions. The smokey ones smoke, the reduced smoke ones not so much.

Are you able to see the missile launches if you zoom in? If so, the problem may be one of how thick the contrail is, or its LOD.

Are you able to create a short mission (air start, near the SAM) so that you can test different temps and zoom settings and report back?

Hey guys,

does air-temperature affect missile-trail visibility?

I was just flying a mission that I build in the ME for the SU-25T - the weather set to winter, - 12°C, Snowing, Cloudlayer-intensity on 8. There is a M1097 Avenger guarding a M1A2 squad. Since the Su-25T is not equipped with a IR-MWS, you have to rely on your eyes to actually catch a missile being fired, indicated by the big, phat smoketrail that it drags across the sky.

I did not see a single one of the four missiles that were fired at me, and I asked myself if it has anything to do with the air-temperature or the weather in general.

cheers,

Obi

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Hey guys,

thanks for the replies. Tested this with different Time of year(s), Temperature (+ / - in different stages), with rain/snow on/off. Then tried to combine the above so I have a wide spectrum of scenarios. Nothing seems to affect it. After that, I tried different Units shooting at me:

Igla MANPADS: No Smoke

M1097 Avenger: No Smoke

Stinger MANPADS: No Smoke

SA-3: Smoke

SA-8: Smoke

SA-9: Smoke

SA-11: Smoke

SA-13: Smoke

I am guessing the top three have reduced smoke?

Obi

See, decide, attack, reverse.

- Major Erich Hartmann

My Youtube-Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqencK0VKWmjMdHOeAPA6qg

Both screens taken from the same computer/hardware.

Screen_161116_141722.jpg

Screen_161116_141744.jpg

Screen_161116_142128.jpg

Screen_161116_142213.jpg

In 1.5.4 the smoke was like in the 2.0.3 I´m pretty sure about it because I remember to deal with manpads last week and my teammates and I were able to see the shoots between 6NM and 10 NM away.

Judge by yourself. Almost imposible to detect the Stinger/Igla smoke trail in 2.0.4/1.5.5.

K6XatCfS-PM

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

And another inside cockpit. I know where to look and where is the Igla. If not it should be impossible to see the misile launch.

3Tl7g8LofYo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Okay, so I'm not going crazy. Flying the A-10C earlier in 1.5.5, I rolled in and dropped a GBU-38 on an APC surrounded by infantry, I pickled and turned away. Kept my head out of the cockpit and on the enemy location the entire time looking for a MANPADS shot, about 10 seconds later I got hit and it took out both engines. No MWS (which does happen from time to time, but I'm pretty sure my wing sensor was facing the launch location), but I never saw any smoke trail either. Checked the log and sure enough it was an Igla that got me.

Just watched the above video and it appears his MWS wasn't triggered either, so maybe it's affecting that too.

ETA: Definitely affects MWS too, flew the same circle around an Igla and a Strela, Strela launches were easy to see like normal and all 4 launches triggered the MWS, same pattern flown against an Igla I could barely see them launch and didn't receive a warning on any of the 3 launches.

Edited by Deezle

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

No at this moment.

And its not only a visibility problem is also a lack of MWS activity with manpads fired.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Changelog today mentions something about MANPADS, sounds like it might be fixed.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer