How can I run DCS better?

I have been experiencing lag ever since 1.5 and I can't fly with a low FPS. Specs: GTX 760 1.5GB, i5 4460, 8GB RAM. Some missions run smoothly but large missions or campaigns run terribly. How can I increase the performance?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Planes fly, birds fly, you wont for long!

i5 4460, GTX 760 1.5GB, Windows 10, 1TB Hybrid HDD, 8GB DDR3, 500W Power Supply, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, TrackIR 5, Firefight H01, Macs Tungsten 500 Pro and a standard Acer mouse.

1. Get 8 Gigs more RAM

2. Minimum system requirements: [...]; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 - compatible [...]

Do I really need more RAM? My friend says that there is no way 16GB RAM will solve my problem.

i5 4460, GTX 760 1.5GB, Windows 10, 1TB Hybrid HDD, 8GB DDR3, 500W Power Supply, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, TrackIR 5, Firefight H01, Macs Tungsten 500 Pro and a standard Acer mouse.

DCS 1.5 SPECS.

Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 - compatible; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

NTTR SPECS

Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 - compatible; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

i would make sure your pc is at the recommended level rather then the min level.

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

DCS 1.5 SPECS.

NTTR SPECS

i would make sure your pc is at the recommended level rather then the min level.

So a new GPU and more RAM?

if you want a good studder free game then yes i would go with Eds recommended specs :)

even before i upgraded my gpu from my 970 i managed great fps with max settings. not one ounce of judder

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Mind You, NTTR map is already extremely RAM and VRAM hungry and updated 2.5 Caucasus map is most probably get close to its requirements, so You will need to make an upgrade in next few months anyway. Looking at recommended specs, I would rather opt for a gfx card with more VRAM than 3 GB, as my GTX780 is only "acceptable", but not good for bigger scenarios - I'm thinking about an upgrade as well.

From my recent experience I can also recommend buying an SSD drive for DCS. They're still a bit pricey, but not prohibitively expensive anymore (when talking about 128-256 GB range). Finally got rid of most stutters by doing so.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

From my recent experience I can also recommend buying an SSD drive for DCS. They're still a bit pricey, but not prohibitively expensive anymore (when talking about 128-256 GB range). Finally got rid of most stutters by doing so.

This. Get a SSD. Especially if you experience a lot of mini-stutters (e.g. when looking around or zooming in).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

This. Get a SSD. Especially if you experience a lot of mini-stutters (e.g. when looking around or zooming in).

Samsung EVO 750 500GB is cheap compared to it's capacity.

SSD for sure and I'd get 8 GB more RAM for starters and see how it goes then.

Affirmative!

Do I really need more RAM? My friend says that there is no way 16GB RAM will solve my problem.

I wouldn't listen to that friend any longer. He may have PC experience keeping up with Technology is almost a futile effort for the working man. Sounds like he isn't keeping up and using skills from the late 90's isn't good enough anymore.

My brother in law went to college and received a degree in I.T. Technology He still calls me to add a drive to his PC. He can plug it in, it's getting Windows to recognize the drive that isn't simple at times.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

• 1 month later...

Few months ago I've upgraded my GPU from 660Ti, kept the i5-3750k. DCS is installed on HDD. 16GB RAM. I didn't had any major issues running DCS in medium/high settings with that configuration. IMO first increase your RAM then consider a new GPU.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

With overclocked and custom power bios for 750ti i run the game in medium-high 70fps average (yes 1080P)

Overclock you gpu and save the money

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Overclocking his GPU does not give him more VRAM, it might reduce the amount of VRAM needed but if it´s overflowing too badly, no amount of overclocking is gonna help him.

The 750TI is available in 1GB, 2GB and 4GB VRAM versions, so if you got either the latter two, you are already better off then him.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

Overclocking his GPU does not give him more VRAM, it might reduce the amount of VRAM needed but if it´s overflowing too badly, no amount of overclocking is gonna help him.

The 750TI is available in 1GB, 2GB and 4GB VRAM versions, so if you got either the latter two, you are already better off then him.

I have 2 but i think dcs is using around 1.5 but well ill get home ill check it again

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Edited by shab249

• 1 month later...

Hi,

If you have the financial resources upgrade your PC to the recommended specs.

Other things to think about is disable Shadows, Lens Affects. Set water texture to Low, and lower your aircraft and terrain texture by one level (High to Medium) and set your preload radius to Max.

That's just a couple of settings you can set and see if it works.

Lastly, we might need to be patient since its openbeta and see what the next round of updates bring.

Hope this helps.

Lucky

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD