Magnetic Hall Sensors

Hi,

I am using a Logitech attack 3 and the potentiometers keep conking out hence i went and bought MH-182 Magnetic hall sensors. Connected them according to the pin out but when I use the neodymium magnets it does nothing. I got the voltage checked of the logitech attack 3 pins by an electrician and it is 12V and the MH-182 has 3v to 24v input voltage.

I followed all guides from here and others on the Internet and i have done the same thing. but when changing the magnet polarity there is no response. BTW these are magnets from old HDD and very strong, the other black color magnets I have are way too powerful and if I put them on any metal surface it won't just come off will need a screwdriver to get it off the surface with some strength.

Appreciate every1's thoughts and info. i can't keep purchasing new sticks everytime and the others are way too expensive for me.

Rgds.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC

I don't have much experience with that type of sensor, but you might want to try it with smaller magnets, HDD ones are a big start, and they also are large, so I'm not sure how you'd put them in an hdd anyways.

Also, not sure why you didn't just buy another stick, here that sensor is half of the price of a new 3d pro, which are known to develop mechanical dead zones in under 6 months.

I looked at a data sheet of your hall sensor and according to the output voltage vs. flux density diagram, it would appear that this particular sensor (mh182) is a latch and therefore not suited for angular measurement. This kind of sensor is only suitable to measure RPM.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I don't have much experience with that type of sensor, but you might want to try it with smaller magnets, HDD ones are a big start, and they also are large, so I'm not sure how you'd put them in an hdd anyways.

Also, not sure why you didn't just buy another stick, here that sensor is half of the price of a new 3d pro, which are known to develop mechanical dead zones in under 6 months.

Well you do need some good magnets. Two sensors cost me only a dollar i.e. 60 INR :)

Buying a good stick is like 100 or more in USD can't afford that.

Edited by humptydumpty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

I looked at a data sheet of your hall sensor and according to the output voltage vs. flux density diagram, it would appear that this particular sensor (mh182) is a latch and therefore not suited for angular measurement. This kind of sensor is only suitable to measure RPM.

Oh wow thanks sobek.

So I need one without latching ? Any recommendations ?

They are very cheap here will go looking for them this week

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

I got the voltage checked of the logitech attack 3 pins by an electrician and it is 12V and the MH-182 has 3v to 24v input voltage.

Strange, from where the guy get this "12v"?

In other joy' MOD I see Logitech voltage for pot is 3,5V and require modifications for use the popular (in joystick modification) SS4595A1 or Allegro A1324, linear HALL sensor type, since they require 5v.

E.g in this Saitek: http://sfw.so/1149033286-ustanovka-datchikov-holla-v-dzhoystik.html

As "rule o the thumb": for pot' replacement the recommend HALL sensor is Honeywell SS495A1 and Allegro A1324EUA-T, due their good sensitivity.

A 1324 is much used too, but this due "Herd effect" since had less sensitivity.

http://il2.skyline.kh.ua/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=176

Original pot as base, SS495A1 + Neodymium magnet diametrical magnetized.

http://simhq.com/forum/files/usergals/2015/03/full-37484-99347-dscf5844.jpg

Edited by Sokol1_br

Strange, from where the guy get this "12v"?

In other joy' MOD I see Logitech voltage for pot is 3,5V and require modifications for use the popular (in joystick modification) SS4595A1 or Allegro A1324, linear HALL sensor type, since they require 5v.

As "rule o the thumb": for pot' replacement the recommend HALL sensor is Honeywell SS495A1 and Allegro A1324EUA-T, due their good sensitivity.

A 1324 is much used too, but this due "Herd effect" since had less sensitivity.

Well he used a multimeter to test it. pi will get it checked again.

Thanks for the recommended hall sensors but these are nowhere available in India but I will try some more shops.

I guess I would need to step up the voltage to get 5v when the logitech voltage is 3.5v damn i don't know how will i do it. don't have much knowledge about electronics but I will try.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

Other thing to observe, when you replace the pot by HALL sensor is need calibrate the joystick before test, or the reading can be almost 0.

Try get HALL sensor with "Uncle Ali". :)

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-5pcs-lot-A1324LUA-T-A1324LUA-324-high-precision-Hall-element-new-original/32530015479.html

Edited by Sokol1_br

Other thing to observe, when you replace the pot by HALL sensor is need calibrate the joystick before test, or the reading can be almost 0.

Try get HALL sensor with "Uncle Ali". :)

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-5pcs-lot-A1324LUA-T-A1324LUA-324-high-precision-Hall-element-new-original/32530015479.html

Thanks, though from AliExpress it takes around 40 days for the delivery here, but in the meantime I will also look for other sources of this Sensor in the local market.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

The Honeywell SS495A1 are available here in India but they only give a big amount of them. So I went to another shop and he gave allegro don't know what model I think the 1203 and he said this should work so let's see.

Else I will have to buy the Honeywell .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

The electrician who checked the voltage on the Logitech attack 3 was wrong. I borrowed a multimeter from sum1 and checked , at the connector level to the board it's around 5v but when I check the wire heads it's showing less than 2v around 1.8v now this is funny because there is no resistance on that wire.

I am so confused.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I know it's an old thread but I need to get this Hall effect Sensor working, and here in India you don't get all types hence I found the one which matches the Honeywell

This one is a MH481 but whatever I do I see no change in the polarity on the sensor . But if I move the sensor physically the axis changes

I checked the voltage on the Logitech Pot wire and its 4.1v

If anyone can advice ?

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC