DCS 1.5 and 2.0 together?

christianholmes

For the time being, 2.0 is supposed to be installed as a separate product in a separate directory. So yes, You will be able to fly over NTTR in Your 2.0 copy, while playing Your Black Shark campaign in a 1.5 copy.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

2.0 is currently an ALPHA development branch. Eventually 2.0 and 1.5 will be unified into 2.5, with which you may play with any terrain you own. Currently only the Caucasus terrain will be free of charge. Other upcoming terrains (NTTR included) will need to be bought.

Any campaign created is made for a specific terrain, be it Caucasus, NTTR or any of the future terrains. If you want to play the Black Shark campaign, you need to play it on 1.5 for the time being. You can still fly the Black Shark in 2.0, just not that specific campaign.

I hope this helped.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

• Like 1

DCS Finland | SF squadron

For the time being, 2.0 is supposed to be installed as a separate product in a separate directory. So yes, You will be able to fly over NTTR in Your 2.0 copy, while playing Your Black Shark campaign in a 1.5 copy.

All very helpful replies- so they are installed separately- that's what I was confused about.

So like MJM said, I can run the campaign in 1.5, but can still fly it around Vegas in 2.0. Works for me!

If you take the default installation paths, or at least the final folder name, then you will be fine.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

That is something I learned these days too. :-(

Playing black sea map with 1.5 and NTTR with 2.0 - it's a pity.

Hope the black sea map will be ported to 2.x soon, so one installation is sufficient.

I am looking forward having the tree collision in the black sea map ;)

________________________ ________ ______ ___ __ _

Win10 64 Pro, i7-6800K 3.4Ghz, 32 GB (DDR4), Asus Aorus 1080 TI WF, TrackIR 5 / RIFT, Thrustmaster Warthog, Fanatec Pedals, 55" oled 4k TV, Modules:A10C, KA-50, Huey, AV-8B, FA-18, F-16, NTTR, Persian Gulf

_ __ ___ ____ _____ ______ _______ ____________

The last word was they are shooting for 2.5 which would be a unified version by the end of this year.

I do my campaign/combat flying in 1.5, and free flight around in 2.0.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

its a total pain it being separated, fusing the two can not come soon enough

I think it is even more painful for the (3rd party) developers to develop their stuff for two or more different versions in parallel.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I am looking forward having the tree collision in the black sea map ;)

Has that been officially confirmed? AFAIK ED said they look into it, but didn't promise anything.

Yes, the Black Sea map will be overhauled to a new terrain engine, but I wouldn't hold my breath in regards to collidable trees.

Has that been officially confirmed? AFAIK ED said they look into it, but didn't promise anything.

Yes, the Black Sea map will be overhauled to a new terrain engine, but I wouldn't hold my breath in regards to collidable trees.

They said the trees will be collidable with the Caucasus update, at least the trees around the cities. (They've said that on Russian section).

Now, not sure if they are keeping that idea or all the trees are going to be collidable.

They said the trees will be collidable with the Caucasus update, at least the trees around the cities. (They've said that on Russian section).

Now, not sure if they are keeping that idea or all the trees are going to be collidable.

Good to know, thanks! :thumbup:

So once the two versions are finally merged, will we be able to play all 2.0 (i.e. Red Flag) and 1.5 (i.e. Republic) campaigns in version 2.5? Or will they be broken?

Yes, they will all be playable on their respective terrain. I imagine there will be some changes needed by the authors of missions/campaigns due to the new content in NTTR and Caucus being revamped.

I would, personally, expect some short-term growing pains with content created prior to 2.5.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Previous purchase questions...

Hi!

So I am new to the DCS World and just came into the forums today. Loving 1.5 and flying my newly purchased Huey! (Free-flight only right now, still learning a lot about it.) But I would like to get in on 2.0 so I can use the Nevada module, too.

My questions are:

1. Is the Huey module compatible with 2.0?

2. I plan on running 1.5 and 2.0 as separate installs. Will I need to use an activation for the Huey when I set up 2.0 or will it recognize it being on the same computer and allow it to operate in either version?

I appreciate any answers and hope to hear from someone soon as I'd like to get in on the weekend deal for the Nevada module for 50% off.

Thanks in advance,

Highspeed

Hi!

So I am new to the DCS World and just came into the forums today. Loving 1.5 and flying my newly purchased Huey! (Free-flight only right now, still learning a lot about it.) But I would like to get in on 2.0 so I can use the Nevada module, too.

My questions are:

1. Is the Huey module compatible with 2.0?

2. I plan on running 1.5 and 2.0 as separate installs. Will I need to use an activation for the Huey when I set up 2.0 or will it recognize it being on the same computer and allow it to operate in either version?

I appreciate any answers and hope to hear from someone soon as I'd like to get in on the weekend deal for the Nevada module for 50% off.

Thanks in advance,

Highspeed

The huey, and factually all modules are compatible with both 1.5 and 2.0. This won't cost you extra activations.

Check my F-15C guide

2. I plan on running 1.5 and 2.0 as separate installs.

On a side note, that's the preferred way anyway. ;)

They use different directories by default, and players shouldn't try to install 1.5 and 2.0 into the same directory or strange things might happen, like both of them crashing. :D

On a side note, that's the preferred way anyway. ;)

They use different directories by default, and players shouldn't try to install 1.5 and 2.0 into the same directory or strange things might happen, like both of them crashing. :D

Yep, that's what I found out. Ran the installer and it defaulted to a second directory. I let it run there and it copied files from the original instead of downloading it all as new. This lets me fly the old areas in 1.5 and Las Vegas in 2.0. I've been having a blast (missed the sale by 12 hours, arrrgh! :) ) but used my points from the Huey purchase and still got a great value.

I've flown over the Hoover Dam (and did some hovering around it, too), did the "obligatory" Vegas Strip tour and then finally did some long range flying by instrument navigation. I also modified the default "Free Flight" Instant Action mission for a cold start on the ramp. I love realism and doing a start-up/shut-down is a big part of the simulation for me. In just over a week of flying this Huey, I've become quite familiar with the aircraft and am just about ready to go full simulation mode (been flying in game mode until now) and work on really honing in my skills.

Now if only someone would let me fly the real thing... :music_whistling: :megalol:

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. This is a great community.

Highspeed

Can you point us to that post on the Russian forums please Vitormouraa?

Thanks.

Can you point us to that post on the Russian forums please Vitormouraa?

Thanks.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170914

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks Skate & Vitormouraa.

Skate - I've seen that post. However I was unsure whether the "new tree system for both forests and “urban areas” actually meant collidable trees (like NTTR with T4) or whether it was just referring to a new way trees are rendered, say like procedural grass for instance, thus providing for the "much greater population of forested areas" mentioned in the same post?

Can you please confirm whether it means one or the other, or both? Not trying to be picky, I just want to avoid reading something into Matt's post that isn't correct.

Collidable trees, especially on a terrain like the Caucasus map would be just such a huge game changer, especially for all of us helicopter fans. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Thanks Skate & Vitormouraa.

Skate - I've seen that post. However I was unsure whether the "new tree system for both forests and “urban areas” actually meant collidable trees (like NTTR with T4) or whether it was just referring to a new way trees are rendered, say like procedural grass for instance, thus providing for the "much greater population of forested areas" mentioned in the same post?

Can you please confirm whether it means one or the other, or both? Not trying to be picky, I just want to avoid reading something into Matt's post that isn't correct.

Collidable trees, especially on a terrain like the Caucasus map would be just such a huge game changer, especially for all of us helicopter fans. Thanks.

Would also be eager to know this if anyone has heard more.