Micro Controller Projects for DCS

If your anything like me you get excited about what micro controllers can do! I have bought a few recently the pi3 but I also have a teensy I wanted to make a P-51 trim box with utilizing the analog inputs, sadly not enough time to complete the project yet but its on my todo list.

I would love to be able to have projects that use Micro Controllers more organized on the DCS forums to help inspire more DCS controller projects and further develop the sim>>>

Examples Aurdio, Raspberry Pi, Teensy to name a few...

Really curious what people are doing these days with DCS and microcontrollers if you have links to your projects that use micro controllers post them here:)

Any help from modders & forum moderators appreciated thanks.

Edited by thinkr

Modded CapLoz HeliosV2.1_1280x1024.zip

2x 1080p 22"Monitors, Saitek X52, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 500GB Velociraptor

Flaming Cliffs 3

DCS:A10C,KA-50, Huey, Mi-8, WWII Euro 40+ Supporter, Mig21

Falcon 4 BMS

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Take on Helicopters

Arma 2 AO + PMC + BF All Addons Series

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Medivac & Search and Rescue 4 Series

... have a teensy I wanted to make a P-51 trim box with utilizing the analog inputs, sadly not enough time to complete the project yet but its on my todo list.

For use Teensy 2.0 or ++2.0 as "joystick controller" (axis, buttons) don't need "reinvent the wheel" is just matter of flash a already made firmware, what you can do in 5 minutes.

For other Teensy versions (e.g the new Cortex based) probable will need write the code.

There are two general approaches to use a microcontroller with DCS.

Approach 1: Build a USB HID device and map it in the DCS: World controller options

• (a) with a microcontroller that has built-in USB support (such as the ATMega32u4 featured on the Arduino Leonardo and Arduino Pro Micro boards)
  • (b) using an Arduino board with a controller that doesn't have USB support, by reprogramming the ATMega16U2 used as a USB-to-serial converter (works on the Uno and Mega 2560 boards; when buying a clone, make sure your board has an ATMega16U2 instead of a dedicated usb-to-serial chip like the CH340)
  • © with a microcontroller that doesn't have built-in USB support, implementing low-speed USB in software (see V-USB)

This approach has the advantage that it works with all modules. If a module only has a "toggle" keybind for a certain switch, some editing of Lua files is required to make physical toggle switches behave properly and you'll want to use a tool such as JSGME to re-apply those changes after every DCS update.

The main disadvantage is that it does not support output from the sim to a microcontroller, so if you want working caution lights, gauges and (text) displays on your panels you'll have to use the second approach.

Approach 2: Use a custom protocol over an (emulated) serial port and interface to DCS through Export.lua

By using the Lua scripting interface that DCS: World provides, we can grab all sorts of information from the sim and forward it to a microcontroller to control LEDs, servos, stepper motors, and small LCD or OLED displays.

There are three projects I am aware of that use this approach:

• Helios is not limited to virtual panels -- it also supports talking to physical hardware over the EOS protocol, which is described on Gadroc's website. IIRC an Arduino library is available to help with building your own devices.
  • The DCS to Arcaze Connector talks to panels based on Arcaze USB boards, which are commercial USB I/O boards
  • My own project, DCS-BIOS, also targets Arduino boards