Just got F5 what do i need to know ?

Cibit

There really isn't much to learn when it comes to systems, especially if you're familiar with the A-10C. Handling is pretty good, the only exception being how sensitive to skidding the aircraft is on the ground. Browse through the manual and you'll be good to go.

• Like 1

Just run through the training missions in sequence. And of course RTFM too.

Manual you mean theres a manual :) Thanks Neil I printed off the BlackShark manual years ago and still have it, in the days before smartphones and chucks guides. Will drag the manual onto my HTC and fall asleep reading it

There really isn't much to learn when it comes to systems, especially if you're familiar with the A-10C. Handling is pretty good, the only exception being how sensitive to skidding the aircraft is on the ground. Browse through the manual and you'll be good to go.

Got it mate, I do have a sensitive roll axis but I assume it is correct for such a slim jet

Yeah agreed. The training missions give you a good understanding of the aircraft.

Be sure to read this thread about the brakes and braking chute:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=171946

It is a handful to land (or to stop once you've landed) but an awesome jet and great fun to fly.

Cheers,

Thanks, I actually landed succesfully first try, not as dificult as the mig21 and trickier than the L39 but doesn't appear to bite.

Setting up the HOTAS will be my biggest headache and setting the aiming pipper my rockets and bombs land short. RTFM applies once more :)

Thank you gentlemen for your helpful replies :thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Chucks manual.

Before take off switch the nose up. At the left. And always 5 6 points of trim up if overloaded put more. There are some tables. Flaps in auto everytime for starting point. It is little more complicated than a sabre... just little more.

Edited by ESAc_matador

Thanks for all the replies guys. Also I have not seen any shots or videos of carrier landings, given the tailhook is it correct to assume these are carrier based aircraft?

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

mess around with this good looking bird. i will do it when it comes to steam

but don't mess with bvr planes

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Thanks for all the replies guys. Also I have not seen any shots or videos of carrier landings, given the tailhook is it correct to assume these are carrier based aircraft?

F-15A_KFMH_Tailhook_Sept2003_KenMiddleton_image_13809418.jpg

120304-Z-UJ603-075.JPG

bothem.jpg

Hi there Cibit,

As seen on the pictures above even F-15s have tail hooks, this is due to the fact that the USAF requires their fighters to have one as an emergency measure or (if I am correct) for testing the afterburner without the F-15 rolling away on it's merry way. The USAF aircraft with tail hooks (F-15s, F-5s, etc etc) are however not designed for carrier operations and as such are not made to withstand the forces of a carrier landing, if you do try to land atop the Nimitz in your F-5 you will bork up your landing gear in a way that it will likely be stuck and bent, trust me, I have tried. :pilotfly:

Sadly, however, you can not use the tail hook in DCS, it will go down but it is not scripted to interact with the cables on the carries that are in the game, as far as I know the Su-33 is the only aircarft you can fly in the game with an arrestor hook that can interact with the cables, this means that if you try to land your F-5 on the Nimitz, even if it does hit the wire, the wire will act like the tail hook does not exist and you'll end up doing a go-around with a borked up stuck-down gear.

Happy flying!

Edit: If you want to roll even faster, there is an aeleron limiter on your F-5 which is automatically on to prevent you from rolling like a mad-man, there is however a control option that you can hold down to turn this limiter off, allowing you to roll even faster just in case you need to.

Edited by jmijnen
  • Like 1

Modules: too many

System: I7-7700K, GTX 2080 Super, 64GB DDR4, 500GB SSD, 3TB HDD.

There is a weapons manual. A real one. This can help you. Speed, height and dive angle, together with depresión of the pipper.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1946809/

• Like 1

5e Escadre Virtuelle du Canada / 5 Virtual Wing of Canada

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

Modules owned: P-51D, F-86F, A-10C, M-2000C, F-5E, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-16C

Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Manual you mean theres a manual :)

There's also Chuck's guide, condensing and clarifying things:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-uSpZROuEd3MkpIQ3U1dVZLaDQ/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Sporg

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

One thing you might find useful. In the search submode of the MSL mode, the radar scans, depending on the range setting, +-4 (in the 40nm range setting) or +-5.5 (in the other range settings) degrees in elevation, relative to the antenna tilt setting. But once you press the lock button and switch to the acquisition phase, that goes down to just +-1.5 degrees. That means it can be challenging to lock targets because you have no indication if the blip you see on the screen is within that narrow acquisition zone. On top of that the antenna tilt control is very sensitive and even if you do know that the target is, say, 13 degrees above the horizon, good luck pointing the antenna pretty much exactly at it.

we can take the Tigers for a ride whenever you want :)

That would be great, I have commitments till next week then I would love to join up with you:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That would be great, I have commitments till next week then I would love to join up with you:thumbup:

We have a mission F5 against Mig21 in our squadron. The F5 has to bomb one of the 3 targets defended by the Mig21. I can jump with you in the F5 and fly against lazy seal and wolf ! you know them i think :)