How do I make a helicopter (or any aircraft) wait to start engines?

ShuRugal

So, I'm trying to have a helicopter sit on the ground with rotors stopped until an infantry group approaches and boards it. Late activation is not an option, because i need it to be visible so that that players may destroy it to prevent the group escaping.

I've spent the last hour trying to find a way to do this. I cannot understand why there is no "wait" function for the AI in this thing. I have found information about setting the helicopter to start "uncontrolled", but this appears to be deprecated, because there is no such option in the mission editor.

You have a couple of options...

First, you can use "Late activation" and "uncontrolled" and set a trigger to start at a specific time.

The second is to use she "start" function in the Aircraft mission editor and a trigger to perform that action. Either way, checking the uncontrolled box is possible

In the AM ill post a miz with both examples.

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Hey ShuRugal;

Just to expand on that a bit:

Place your group where you want them to start on the map. Set them to "takeoff from ramp" or "takeoff from ground." Haven't tested the latter but I imagine it should work the same. For the sake of argument let's put them on a hypothetical airfield to start. It's important to note that they must be set to start from a cold pit for the uncontrolled option to become available.

When set to takeoff from ramp, a new box will appear next to "late activation" that says "uncontrolled." Check this box. Do not check late activation or the group will not appear on the map as desired.

Select the group in the ME. You'll see a little set of tabs above the waypoint menu. Click the third tab, triggered actions, highlighted in this image I stuck in another thread. https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=148301&d=1473941726

Click add, perform command, start.

Now you can use the AI TASK PUSH trigger to command the group to start whenever a desired condition is met. As an example, we'll use your infantry group.

First we'll set a little contingency so that our group doesn't disappear if your helo is killed.

triggers:

1 ONCE (helo dead)

conditions:

UNIT'S LIFE LESS THAN (helo, 100) ::I don't think the AI will take off if damaged::

triggered actions:

FLAG ON (1)

Now place a trigger zone over your helicopter, we'll call it boardingarea for this example.

triggers:

1 ONCE (infantry boarded, NO EVENT)

conditions:

PART OF GROUP IN ZONE (infantrygroup, boardingarea)

FLAG IS FALSE (1) ::this way the group doesn't vanish if the helo is damaged/destroyed::

triggered actions:

GROUP DEACTIVATE (infantrygroup)

AI TASK PUSH (helo, start)

This will cause your infantry group to disappear when they reach the transport, which will start up and take off.

As you've noted the helo will still be detectable as alive or dead, so you can destroy it to prevent the infantry from boarding.

Edited by feefifofum
  • Like 3

Set them to "takeoff from ramp" or "takeoff from ground." Haven't tested the latter but I imagine it should work the same.

Tested, it works fine!

UNIT'S HEALTH LESS THAN (helo, 100) ::I don't think the AI will take off if damaged::

I don't find this condition, you mean "GROUP ALIVE LESS THAN"?

Tks

Brontolo VIAF

When set to takeoff from ramp, a new box will appear next to "late activation" that says "uncontrolled." Check this box. Do not check late activation or the group will not appear on the map as desired.

This does not work for "take off from ground"; "Uncontrolled" option is not present.

Would landed with the rotors spinning suffice?

If they air start off camera, use the land advanced waypoint action with a stop condition set to a flag when the infantry enters the boarding area.

Not quite stealthy but it should work in any flat terrain.

Tried that, the heli takes flight as soon as troops enter boarding area, leaves 'em stranded.

Which version?

Look at this and see if its close. You could also have the helo Land and Hold until a Event or Time trigger which could be the troops boarding. Also look at the CSAR mission provided with DCS A-10C. (If you have it) if you cant start a helicopter on the ground...have one fly in and land and then "hold" either until a set time or a trigger condition is met. I know you can accomplish what you want to. You just may have to massage exactly how the Helo ends up at the last for the people to board or be destroyed.

Test.miz

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Tried that, the heli takes flight as soon as troops enter boarding area, leaves 'em stranded.

Try a Land command at a waypoint with a long wait time.

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Hey ShuRugal;

Just to expand on that a bit:

Place your group where you want them to start on the map. Set them to "takeoff from ramp" or "takeoff from ground." Haven't tested the latter but I imagine it should work the same. For the sake of argument let's put them on a hypothetical airfield to start. It's important to note that they must be set to start from a cold pit for the uncontrolled option to become available.

Select the group in the ME. You'll see a little set of tabs above the waypoint menu. Click the third tab, triggered actions, highlighted in this image I stuck in another thread. https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=148301&d=1473941726

Click add, perform command, start.

Now you can use the AI TASK PUSH trigger to command the group to start whenever a desired condition is met. As an example, we'll use your infantry group.

First we'll set a little contingency so that our group doesn't disappear if your helo is killed.

triggers:

1 ONCE (helo dead)

conditions:

UNIT'S LIFE LESS THAN (helo, 100) ::I don't think the AI will take off if damaged::

triggered actions:

FLAG ON (1)

Now place a trigger zone over your helicopter, we'll call it boardingarea for this example.

triggers:

1 ONCE (infantry boarded, NO EVENT)

conditions:

PART OF GROUP IN ZONE (infantrygroup, boardingarea)

FLAG IS FALSE (1) ::this way the group doesn't vanish if the helo is damaged/destroyed::

triggered actions:

GROUP DEACTIVATE (infantrygroup)

AI TASK PUSH (helo, start)

This will cause your infantry group to disappear when they reach the transport, which will start up and take off.

As you've noted the helo will still be detectable as alive or dead, so you can destroy it to prevent the infantry from boarding.

This

Time since flag?

Am I getting warmer? :lol:

Where do I find this function?

Which version?

Look at this and see if its close. You could also have the helo Land and Hold until a Event or Time trigger which could be the troops boarding. Also look at the CSAR mission provided with DCS A-10C. (If you have it) if you cant start a helicopter on the ground...have one fly in and land and then "hold" either until a set time or a trigger condition is met. I know you can accomplish what you want to. You just may have to massage exactly how the Helo ends up at the last for the people to board or be destroyed.

no good, mate. My helicopter is not starting at an airport, and for the purposes of the mission design, a FARP is not practical (or believable). If I use the "start from ground" option, "Uncontrolled" is not an option.

Try a Land command at a waypoint with a long wait time.
No good, the heli will either take off before the troop event is triggered, or will wait on the ground for too long after the troops board. troops are spawned and move to the helicopter in response to player actions, fixed timer is not an option.

This

you could have read my response to that suggestion, which was "that option does not exist for start from ground" type waypoints.

Instead you failed to contribute anything meaningful, while at the same time looking like a smugly superior prick.

Shu, just use a second flag as your stop trigger.

PART OF GROUP IN ZONE (infantry, boarding)

FLAG ON (1)

then a second trigger

TIME SINCE FLAG (1, 15)

FLAG ON (2)

Use flag 2 as the stop condition for the landing event in this example.

I think that will do exactly what I want, thanks!

Instead you failed to contribute anything meaningful, while at the same time looking like a smugly superior prick.

You missed a great opportunity to be polite. I did not get at the moment what you meant with "on the ground" because this is a recently added option.

You should have some sex, or have a drink, and relax. That would be good for your femenine hysteria.:v:

You missed a great opportunity to be polite. I did not get at the moment what you meant with "on the ground" because this is a recently added option.

You should have some sex, or have a drink, and relax. That would be good for your femenine hysteria.:v:

cool, add in misogyny, you're a real swell dude.