Dim the lights, please...

Goblin

I think lights are too bright in DCS, at night, and in the day.

I tried changing star size in star.fx from the default 1500 to 250. Now they look perfect! This should be the default setting, if you ask me.

Landing and taxi lights on aircraft are also too bright. They even light up the tarmac in broad daylight, and they turn night into day... I can't speak for any of the RL counterparts of the modules in DCS, but I fly airliners for a living, and no aircraft lights I have ever seen is this bright. You shouldn't see the ground light up in front of you when turning on the lights in bright sunlight. Only when the surface is wet and reflective. During darkness and night, the lights should brighten the ground in front, but not so bright that it looks like it's daylight.

Same goes for airport lights. They look like they're on 100% all the time. IRL we ask ATC to dim the lights for us. During night they're often dimmed to 3%, and are still easy to see.

I wish the lights in DCS could be dimmed.

I bet they can be configured in some .fx files, perhaps?

I'd sort of agree with this and would love to have a lighting upgrade that both reduced the brightness of some of the white lighting (taxi, landing,etc) and also to increased the visual range of some of the anti-col and strobe lighting.

It seems that the lighting effects aren't affected as much as they should be by the ambient lighting. They are way too bright in the daytime and the range you can see them at is too low at night.

Edited by Scaley

........ and the range you can see them at is too low at night.

+1 A fix for this should be a priority.

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

and also to increased the visual range of some of the anti-col and strobe lighting.

Hadn't thought about this before I read your post. You're right. Close up the lights are too intensive, but the intesity fades quickly, and then disapears when it should be visible.

So, to sum this thread up, the lights in DCS should not be so bright when close, but should be visible farther from the light source.

Examples:

Aircraft landing lights should not light up the runway in daylight. But they should be visible to other aircraft at least 10NM out on a clear day, and even farther at night.

Runway lights should be seen at quite a long distance, but should not be so bright when you are close to the runway.

City lights should be seen at very long distances.

• 3 years later...

Gotta bump this thread, I was about to mention the same thing. It’s been bothering me for a long time... I’m also a RL pilot for a profession, I know what taxi/landing lights look during the day and night and seeing it light up the ground in bright-blue-sky daylight is quite unrealistic. Any chance this gets worked on, ED?

TM Warthog, Oculus Rift, Win10...

Gotta bump this thread, I was about to mention the same thing. It’s been bothering me for a long time... I’m also a RL pilot for a profession, I know what taxi/landing lights look during the day and night and seeing it light up the ground in bright-blue-sky daylight is quite unrealistic. Any chance this gets worked on, ED?

They announced an upcoming ("soon") new graphics engine which should (finally) fix lights, improve 2D and 3D performance, handle new weather and new FXs, and so on... basically what has been promoted EDGE should have been

Hold on tight, just a couple of years more and maybe night lighting issue could be addressed :thumbup:

I agree with most of this. Lights should be visable at long distances.

I agree that lights seem to fade real quick, where they should not.

There is the situation with all modules following different light intensity. Take the mig21 with taxi lights on and the tomcat. There are huge differences. And before anyone misunderstands, I do know that in real life all makes and models are different. Some exterior navlights, and collition lights as have been mentioned here are too dim. Thereseems to be a lack of standard for lighting as in a minimum intensity.

ED should force all modules to comply with new lighting tech and demand all third party devs to revise module lighting, after ED have redone lights.

As far as sunlight and starlight goes, well, dont know. The stars are to dim in VR it seems to me.

And the Caucasus map seem to vibrant in colour when green and brown. Specially when green. Does that mean a texture issue, meaning off topic here, or is that a sunlight lighting issue?

The winter Caucasus is really nice. The trees go dark green and looks really good.