New GME software

sedenion

If I kill avast I manage to download it, however if I make a scan of the dowloaded software avast still warn me about a menace being detected. I guess I can kill avast to install it but I'm afraid of potential issue afterward with avast preventing the software to perform nominaly.

By "Kill Avast" i would have say: Uninstall Avast.

I guess I will pass for the moment.

You choose...

If I kill avast I manage to download it, however if I make a scan of the dowloaded software avast still warn me about a menace being detected.

I guess I can kill avast to install it but I'm afraid of potential issue afterward with avast preventing the software to perform nominaly.

I guess I will pass for the moment.

The program is still Open Source AFAIK so you can download the code... check it then compile it for yourself.

P.S. I used avast on many PC years ago but now is just garbage... for me (always trying to sell something more, false positives until you lose faith).

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

If Avast thinks GME is viral, it has two processes, which will catch the GME download. First, the browser/internet traffic stream, which would catch the downloading itself. Then the file system watcher, which will catch writing the download to the disk, or reading it again, when you try to install it.

I haven't tried this yet, but I have Avast, and will see if I can get it downloaded, installed, and working.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Ok, guys... The things are fair simple:

1. OvGME is NOT a malware, as other said, this is open-source, and everybody can verify that there is nothing "evil" in the software.

2. If OvGME si tagged as "dangerous" or "infected" by an antivirus, the Antivirus should tell you WHAT malware or virus infected the executable, because all malwares and virus have a name, a signature.

3. If the "signature" is a real virus or malware, you tell me, and i check if i am infected somewhere, if the installer is infected, i apologize, etc...

4. If the "signature" is any Avast "*Rep*" alert, this simply mean Avast does not know OvGME and consider it automatically as "not trustfull", which is pretty logical, since OvGME is not a mainstream program, and i have not paid Avast to make it seen as a brilliant beautiful secure software by Avast

5. This is not the first time Avast provide this kind of false-positive, since, this is now THEIR BUSINESS PLAN: terrifying users to forces small editors to make some "certificates" or whatever.

6. I shits on Avast and Avast will go to hell. If you have put money in Avast, i am sorry for you. :smartass:

7. You should never put money in any antivirus, you better have to be careful of what you download and on what joint-piece you open.

Edited by sedenion
  • Like 2

Ok, guys... The things are fair simple:

Hi, just wanted to thank you for such a useful utility ... previously I used JSGME but yours is much better and saves me drive space by allowing to share the Mods on my different profiles (I have one for DCS 1.5 and another for 2.0)

ovgme.jpg

Thanks again and best regards.

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Just for a sake of clarity I never say sedenion software is a malware just report an avast warning and ask if he can check.

I'm fairly confident sedenion software is not a malware and that the issue is on avast side.

That being said I now use Avast since more than 10 years, I'm sure there are better alternative but so far it's free and I never have a virus issue using Avast so I stick to Avast.

I was planning using sedenion software to instal a ground mod which I finally installed using JSGME that does the trick so end of story for me.

Thanks you sedenion for providing what's look a great tools and sorry for the mess it was not the intent.

Just for a sake of clarity I never say sedenion software is a malware just report an avast warning and ask if he can check.

I'm fairly confident sedenion software is not a malware and that the issue is on avast side.

That being said I now use Avast since more than 10 years, I'm sure there are better alternative but so far it's free and I never have a virus issue using Avast so I stick to Avast.

I was planning using sedenion software to instal a ground mod which I finally installed using JSGME that does the trick so end of story for me.

Thanks you sedenion for providing what's look a great tools and sorry for the mess it was not the intent.

The fact, i have nothing against you, i have something particularly against Avast, Norton, and more generally, against the business of antiviruses, which i consider as useless and kind of "lawful malwares" who divide your system performance by two to mostly annoy you with scary addvertesing and false-positive alerts.

My experience teach me that antivirus blocks only the well known viruses. When there is a new virus, and if your antivirus did not updated its database (which need the virus to be well known and identified), you are good and ready to be infected without any alert of your antivirus. All computers infected by malwares and virus i seen, were ALL working with an up to date antivirus, almost all the time, precisely Avast... what a joke.

There are plenty of other free antivirus than Avast: Avira and PandaFree for example.

Edited by sedenion

I've been using Avast for about 6 years now. I decided on Avast after researching it's ability to detect attacks and how quickly they implement newly discovered attacks, plus it was the only 64bit anti-virus software at the time; Windows 7 Professional 64bit platform.

I can't specifically state how much overhead it costs. Firstly, it's not just processing time, it's a question of how much longer it takes to perform a specific task, because active shields put themselves inside the processing stream. That being said, I can't say I'm experiencing anything close to poor performance. YMMV.

What I can say is, if you've ever been hit by a virus or malware, you will regret direly not having had protection to prevent it. I know. I've been in that situation WITH anti-virus software in place, and it sucks really badly .

I'm not sure what you're getting on about, sedenion, that anti-virus software "divide your system performance by two to mostly annoy you with scary addvertesing and false-positive alerts". That may be your own subjective feeling, but it has nothing to do with facts. The fact is, to control data coming into you system, it takes processing time, and there is absolutely no way around that.

That viruses, or these days far more often other types of malware, get past up-to-date protections software is to be expected. Until a new attack is recognized, there is no way to protect against it. It's exactly the same thing in the medical and biological world. Until a new virus is detected by your body, and antigens are created, on-the-fly, to combat it, you are open do exactly this new threat. There is no way for your body to combat something it doesn't know, nor the medical society to create medicine. The same rules apply to anti-virus etc. software.

So now, on to my experience with your software.

I've downloaded all 4 files. Both the setup files were stopped by the web shield:

12.12.2016 17:34:08 https://github-cloud.s3.amazonaws.com/releases/64977531/4b2b2e5e-b0c3-11e6-935d-4343a0b1924a.exe?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAISTNZFOVBIJMK3TQ%2F20161212%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20161212T163401Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X- [L] FileRepMalware (0)

12.12.2016 17:50:07 https://github-cloud.s3.amazonaws.com/releases/64977531/4b2b2e5e-b0c3-11e6-935d-4343a0b1924a.exe?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAISTNZFOVBIJMK3TQ%2F20161212%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20161212T165000Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X- [L] FileRepMalware (0)

The stand-alone files were not flagged.

When I temporarily stopped the web shield I could down load them, and the file system shield did not complain.

When I scanned all 4 files both the setup files were flagged and moved to quarantine:

C:\Users\Orso\Downloads\Binaries\ovgme_1_6_6_setup_32.exe [L] FileRepMalware (0)

C:\Users\Orso\Downloads\Binaries\ovgme_1_6_6_setup_64.exe [L] FileRepMalware (0)

After restoring them I executed 'ovgme_1_6_6_setup_64.exe', which triggered the file system shield:

12.12.2016 18:29:00 C:\Users\Orso\Downloads\Binaries\ovgme_1_6_6_setup_64.exe [L] FileRepMalware (0)

File was successfully moved to chest...

After restoring it, I disconnected from my network, stopped all active protection and executed 'ovgme_1_6_6_setup_64.exe', installing into 'c:\sbin\OvGME\' without further issue.

After that I scanned 'c:\sbin\OvGME\' and nothing was found.

So it appears that the issue is with the installer you are distributing with the setup files. Not the first time I've run across something like that.

I've executed 'OvGME.exe' without issue, but don't have time now to do a full configuration. I'm confident OvGME will live up to its already growing reputation :thumbup: Hope this helps you some ;)

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

What I can say is, if you've ever been hit by a virus or malware, you will regret direly not having had protection to prevent it.

Personally, i will only regrets to not been more vigilant... I don't need antivirus, i only need to be carefull about what i download. Since i well know my system, because i well known and strictly control what i install, i am able to eradicate any malware that bypass my vigilence. This already happened (one time), and this was a matter of few minutes to fix it and send an insults mail to the editor. But okay, it is true, not everybody is able to do what i do...

The fact is, to control data coming into you system, it takes processing time, and there is absolutely no way around that.

That's it. The way around that, is: don't use antivirus :music_whistling: Windows sufficiently uselessly scratches the hard disk to add another useless "real-time virus check" and an endeless loading time. This is my point of view... i force nobody to adopt it.

Edited by sedenion

If you say so. It's your system.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

The only reason I'm using any kind of AV at all is that I use online banking. In case my account gets ripped, I want to be able to tell my bank that I use up-to-date AV for liability reasons. If it wasn't for that, I'd feel pretty safe and confident without AV.

Keep your programs up to date, don't be stupid, and there shouldn't be too much to worry about.

Of course drive-by-downloads from compromised ad-networks can affect anyone. So if you allow your browser to auto-update and if you uninstall Flash, Java and Silverlight, the likelihood of getting infected by malware is decreased by a lot more percent than any AV could ever guarantee. :smartass:

So I'm just getting around to configuring OvGME :cheer3nc:

Is there a trick to have more than 1 Mods Stock Directory for a single profile?

I have the normal DCSW 1.5 release and 2.0 alpha, and there are a lot of mods which are common between them, like skin mods.

There are however a some mods which are only valid for 1.5, like the Black Sea GTM mods.

I'd like to have 2 profiles, one for each installation. For the 2.0 alpha profile there's no issue, as of now. I simply select the directory which contains all the mods common between 1.5 and 2.0.

But for the 1.5 profile I select the same common stock mods directory, but I would also like to additionally select the directory with all the Black Sea mods, but this doesn't seem to be possible.

I don't want to import the Black Sea mods, because that would simply make another copy of them, and the Black Sea mods are huge enough as it is :huh:

Is there anyway to do what I'm thinking?

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Okay, thanks for the quick reply. Oh, well. I'll live with it until DCS gets unified again :noexpression:

Still like GME though. Nice smooth interface, very easy to use, and flexible, with the ease of picking which folders for the Stock and Backup :)

Well done :thumbup:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Is there a trick to have more than 1 Mods Stock Directory for a single profile?

I'd like to have 2 profiles, one for each installation.

I don't want to import the Black Sea mods, because that would simply make another copy of them, and the Black Sea mods are huge enough as it is :huh:

Hi,

I dont see it that way, like you I've two profiles, one for DCS 1.5 and another for 2.0 ... like this:

f2.png

f3.png

The Mods folder is the same for both profiles, and there is only a single copy of each Mod, so there is no waste of space ... this is the folder on my setup:

f4.png

The only care is that the backup folders have to be unique for each Profile, like this:

f5.png

I have the normal DCSW 1.5 release and 2.0 alpha, and there are a lot of mods which are common between them, like skin mods.

Regarding the skins, they are not actually Mods, and DCS allows you to store them on your "Saved Games" folder, so they are not messed up during DCS updates.

However, since DCS 1.5 and 2.0 have separate folders on "Saved Games" you could end up having repeated skin files .. one for each DCS version. To prevent this I use a little known Mod created by SkateZilla:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=174462

This allows you to setup a common Folder where all the liveries are stored, and can be used by DCS 1.5 or 2.0, eliminating the need to have two copies of each skin :)

Best regards and thanks to all those who take the time to write these useful utilities, I'm really grateful to them.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Thanks for the Skin folder Tip Rudel_chw!! 15GB of free space :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

8<

The Mods folder is the same for both profiles, and there is only a single copy of each Mod, so there is no waste of space ... this is the folder on my setup:

f4.png

The only care is that the backup folders have to be unique for each Profile, like this:

f5.png

8<

Yes, I was quite aware that I could do that, but I don't really want to have the Black Sea mods in the my 2.0 profile as long as the Caucasus map is not in 2.0. That was really my whole issue. Many thanks though for your well illustrated and concise description :thumbup:

8<

Regarding the skins, they are not actually Mods, and DCS allows you to store them on your "Saved Games" folder, so they are not messed up during DCS updates.

However, since DCS 1.5 and 2.0 have separate folders on "Saved Games" you could end up having repeated skin files .. one for each DCS version. To prevent this I use a little known Mod created by SkateZilla:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=174462

This allows you to setup a common Folder where all the liveries are stored, and can be used by DCS 1.5 or 2.0, eliminating the need to have two copies of each skin :)

Best regards and thanks to all those who take the time to write these useful utilities, I'm really grateful to them.

That will save me some space... and work. Many thanks again thumbs-upwink.gif

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Thanks for the Skin folder Tip Rudel_chw!! 15GB of free space :D

¿15 GB? ... wow, you must have hundreds of skins :) ... my Liveries folder is only 3 GB

:D 14.9GB. But I think I don't have really a lot of them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:D 14.9GB. But I think I don't have really a lot of them.

I love variety, so I have downloaded quite a few, for example these are the ones that I have for the Blackshark:

liveries-ka50.png

... If I were just a little bit more able with Photoshop, I would have tried to create a few ... instead I have to thank all those who have contributed with all these liveries :)

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Is there still no way to manually specify the order in which mods are applied? Right now it's the only thing that holds me from switching from JSGME. I have a whole bunch of mods, some require a precise application order, and the renaming workaround (as in "A - first mod" "B - second mod" "C - third mod") is a bit messy.

Thats interesting, I have never known that there would be instances where application needed to be sequential? I could only imagine that being the case if there was an instance where 2 or more mods had a file that was the same, in which case you would only want one of them, so why would it be in another MOD? Of course, Im no pro at this, so maybe there is a valid reason I am unaware of?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle