Finally!.......... Fluidity bliss....

JEFX

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to share my happiness!!!!!...

Forgive me if you are jealous... It is not my point!

I have been frustrated about Lockon ever since it came out...

The ONLY really important thing about realism in flight sims is FLUIDITY...

If you fly and your computer stutters, you dont feel you really fly...

Finally, I just upgraded my system (an old P4 2.4 with ATI x800 card) to the following:

Intel Core 2 DUO E 6600 dual-core processor with good ASUS SLI motherboard(P5N32 SLI-Deluxe SE), 2 Gig of DDR2 800Mhz RAM, nVidia 7950GX2 double graphics card (with on GIG of video RAM), 2X 250 Gig HD (WD2500JS) in ATA 0 configuration (virtually ONE 500 GIG fast HD), Thermaltake Toughpower SLI 600 Watt PSU, etc...

got it 3 days ago...

and it rocks...

I run it at 1600x1200 (32 bit color)

8xAA

8xAF

everything maxed out (even mirrors on high resolution and reflexions)

except: Visibility range and Water on medium (but scenes on high)

In normal circumstances I get very high FPS (50+) but even in very demanding areas (for example, flying low with an SU-25T above a big city like Sevastopol with some explosions and other units around) I still get FPS above 25+ and it looks totally fluid...

I always thought that FPS numbers were a good evaluation criteria...

I realize with this new system that what really counts is the following:

I am ready to take-off on the runway with an SU-25T and some wingmen, near a big city, with an overcast sky and snow or rain, the FPS is not that impressive (25+) but still at least fast enough that you dont notice any stutter (a normal movie is 24 FPS). But the miracle is here: with my TrackIR4, taking off, I look around, left, right, I see some explosions or other units, static objects, etc, and the impression of fluidity (25 FPS+) remains totally realistic... I look at other units, the fluidity remains, I look at the big city, same thing,etc... It NEVER stutters of jams or slows down...

It made me realize that the absolute number in FPS does not really mean anything (of course, with this system, flying above the sea only, I get 75+ FPS) but what really counts is the continuity of the fluidity...

It was not cheap, but I am so happy.

Just wanted to share with you guys (and people who are contemplating buying core 2 Duo, I really encourage...).

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

thing helping the most is your E6600 because all of the stuttering is CPU related... just too much data to process (well except maybe for slowdowns with large number of explosions such as when firing lots of rockets and you fly through all the smoke... this is definitely GPU related). But anyway, your old video card would still be sufficient for Lock-On but not the CPU ;)

No longer active in DCS...

........................................:cry:.......................................so happy for you......................................... bye the way you just could have put this :harhar: LOL but nice i have same system as you only one 7800gt and a 4200+ duel core.

4w24cLi.png?4

Voice of Jester AI

Death From Above =DFA= Squadron Discord - https://discord.gg/deathfromabove

http://www.twitch.tv/graywo1f

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lonewo1fg

Guest IguanaKing

I'll be joining you soon, buddy. Nice rig!!! :D

Your GX2, is that an XFX card? I noticed the 1 gig spec, and XFX is one of the only manufacturers to feature that.

Heh...I've been an ATI fanboy for years, but after more research, I'm going with 7950GX2s and SLI.

If I were u ..I would have waited a little more longer till next yr. when the big boys (ATI, nvidia) come out with their DX 10 cards and new flash drives + faster cpu's for vista. :)

But...stilll its good to finally upgrade. My laptop is going to stay here for atleast another 2 yrs. Then....I'll rock out with the top of the line (laptop again....no more desktops for me...for some time atleast) at that time. :)

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Hi IguanaKing

I was an ATI fan also...

But reading and checking, it seems nVidia is a good choice...

My 7950GX2 is manufactured by BFG technology.

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Witchking:

I was already waiting for the last 6 months to upgrade (was ready, money put aside, etc....) and finally waited until Conroe hits the market...

Of course, One could wait even more, but with my old system and considering that I could have bought something last may but waited until now, I feel I am patient enough...

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest IguanaKing
Hi IguanaKing

I was an ATI fan also...

But reading and checking, it seems nVidia is a good choice...

My 7950GX2 is manufactured by BFG technology.

JEFX

Well...hopefully its not the same BFG as the company I have dealt with for years with WX1000s. Good system, but the support sucks. But, I digress, it sounds like you've got a hell of a system.:D

I'll be joining you soon, buddy. Nice rig!!! :D

Your GX2, is that an XFX card? I noticed the 1 gig spec, and XFX is one of the only manufacturers to feature that.

Heh...I've been an ATI fanboy for years, but after more research, I'm going with 7950GX2s and SLI.

Well, ATI is selling its top-end X1950XTX for $450, which is a better bang-for-the-buck IMO. But I think everyone agrees that in the single card department (and $150 more) the 7950GX2 has no competition in the performance department.

sigzk5.jpg

I would have just gotten the $240 X1900XT 256MB. :P Easily beats the 7900GT, the 7950GT in many games, and also has superior antialiasing and anisotropic filtering algorithms. 256MB isn't really an handicap except perhaps gaming at hyper-resolutions.

Nice CPU you've got there though. I hear the 6600s have some nice OCing potential. :D I'm not too jealous though. Upgraded a few months ago to a 3500+ VeniceE4, 7600GT from a '00 900MHz T-Bird GF4 Ti4400 rig. I'm just glad to finally be playing Lomac on a decent rig at all lol.

Enjoy your new rig! Vista might even be able to run such spec, but only perhaps... :rolleyes:. Just kidding of course. Will be interesting to see how much the next gen games push on the Core2 (and probably where you will appreciate having a more powerful vid card).

DrCR

I just upped to an E6600 as well. All I have upgraded is CPU and Proc.

I had:

Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe and P4 650 3.4GHz OC to 3.7GHz

I now have:

Intel 975XBX (BadAxe) and an E6600 Core 2 Duo.

The new Proc wipes the floor with my old One. I did not change Video card or anything else and my frames have just about doubled in LOMAC.

I run 1024x768x32@150Hz. 8x and 8x. Everything on high except scenes medium and no mirrors. Frames are anywhere from 40 to above 100FPS and as mentioned very very fluid play in LOMAC. The Core Duo is an amazing processor indeed.

System:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Intel 975XBX BadAxe Main board

Lian-LI PC-60B-Plus

Coolermaster Real Power 550(RS-550-ACLY)

Thermaltake Bigwater SE Water Cooling kit

2GB Patriot(PDC22G5600+XBLK) DDR2-533

2x 160GB Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer (Raid 0)

1x 250GB Hitachi Deskstar HDT722525DLA380 Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer

1x 160GB Seagate ST3160827AS NCQ Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer

BFG Geforce 7800GTX 256MB PCI-E

Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme (Latest WinXP OpenAl drivers).

Creative Inspire 7.1 Speaker System

Lite-On SHM 165H6S DVD-RW

DirectX 9.0c

Thrustmaster Cougar (Uber2 NXT Mod)

Simped vario Pro Rudders w/F-16 Toe brake addon.

Tactile Feedback System 2.0

8" Touchscreen & Touchbuddy Software

TrackIR4 Pro

Logitech G-15 Gamers Keyboard

Logitech G-5 Laser Mouse

Out

I just upped to an E6600 as well. All I have upgraded is CPU and Proc.

I had:

Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe and P4 650 3.4GHz OC to 3.7GHz

I now have:

Intel 975XBX (BadAxe) and an E6600 Core 2 Duo.

The new Proc wipes the floor with my old One. I did not change Video card or anything else and my frames have just about doubled in LOMAC.

I run 1024x768x32@150Hz. 8x and 8x. Everything on high except scenes medium and no mirrors. Frames are anywhere from 40 to above 100FPS and as mentioned very very fluid play in LOMAC. The Core Duo is an amazing processor indeed.

System:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Intel 975XBX BadAxe Main board

Lian-LI PC-60B-Plus

Coolermaster Real Power 550(RS-550-ACLY)

Thermaltake Bigwater SE Water Cooling kit

2GB Patriot(PDC22G5600+XBLK) DDR2-533

2x 160GB Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer (Raid 0)

1x 250GB Hitachi Deskstar HDT722525DLA380 Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer

1x 160GB Seagate ST3160827AS NCQ Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer

BFG Geforce 7800GTX 256MB PCI-E

Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme (Latest WinXP OpenAl drivers).

Creative Inspire 7.1 Speaker System

Lite-On SHM 165H6S DVD-RW

DirectX 9.0c

Thrustmaster Cougar (Uber2 NXT Mod)

Simped vario Pro Rudders w/F-16 Toe brake addon.

Tactile Feedback System 2.0

8" Touchscreen & Touchbuddy Software

TrackIR4 Pro

Logitech G-15 Gamers Keyboard

Logitech G-5 Laser Mouse

Out

yeah...your spec suck :book:

:surrender: j/k :megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

24 FPS in a game is not fast enough not to notice the stutter.

Actually, it is. You won't really notice a "stutter" dropping from 100 FPS to 40 FPS, but you will when you drop from 30 FPS to 15 FPS or less.

Edit: Completely misread your statement. That being said, a constant 24 FPS in a flight sim is easily perceived as stutter free. A first person shooter isn't going to seem as fluid at 24 fps, obviously, but a flight sim? So long as the rate does not drop below 24 at any time, you'll remain essentially stutter free. :)

JEFX, here is an idea for you: try taking out one of you graphic cards and see how much fps you lose! Im planning a new computer but I will probably only get one graphic card... would be nice to know how your system performs with only one card.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

To Sticky

The nVidia 7950GX2 is ONE card (it is actually a double card in one slot with one Gig of video RAM) it is only on one side of the SLI architecture. I might buy another one in a year when the price drops but for LOckon only one is necessary. And it works great.

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If I were u ..I would have waited a little more longer till next yr. when the big boys (ATI, nvidia) come out with their DX 10 cards and new flash drives + faster cpu's for vista. :)

Let me offer some advice to anyone....

Never play the waiting game on hardware... But first position yourself... It's far smarter to sell your gear while it still retains value...

Case in point... I'm going to drop my 7800gt i bought 7 months ago and upgrade... On ebay ill get somewhere in the neighborhood of 180$ US for it and then grab a x1900xtx (or something else) for 320$ US... a difference of 140$... 140$ over a 6 month time frame is 23$/month... Thats good value for the scale of the upgrade...

Other upgrade paths are a bit more difficult but the thought remains the same...

Okay, so that would mean that if you bought another card you would have 4 GPUs!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.