ASI/MACH indicator ? ... Devs is this right ?

IvanK

Looking at the Mach scale on the combined ASI/Mach meter the Mach scale only has 2 subsonic references 0.5M and 1.0 Mach.Looking at the DCS F15 its the same.

DCSF4ASI3_zpscaj8gztu.jpg

I don't think this correct I would have thought the Mach scale would be graduated in 0.05M increments with Mach number text at each 0.1M increment

like in the image below.

ASImach_zpsckoiwa7z.jpg

Looking at DCS F15 and F5 instruments they are scaled at 0.1M in the supersonic range, just not in the subsonic range.

Edited by IvanK

After a bit of sleuthing I came up with this diagram of the Mach number scale in the AVU-8 combined ASI/Mach instrument. the AVU-8 is I believe the specific instrument fitted to the F5E ref USAF TO/Flight manual T.O. 1F-5E-1

This diagram clearly shows that the Mach scale is in 0.05Mach increments with Mach number numerals at each 0.1M. Scale reads from Mach 0.5 to Mach 2.2

Avu8Mach2_zps8zp1pn2l.jpg

The source document for this manual can be obtained here:

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=16&ved=0ahUKEwiim-iWlovOAhVJX5QKHSMDAyU4ChAWCDQwBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Feveryspec.com%2FMIL-PRF%2FMIL-PRF-010000-29999%2Fdownload.php%3Fspec%3DMIL-PRF-27197D.042355.pdf&usg=AFQjCNELmcXEapsV4D84cKudN4Bu4idpow&sig2=Z0BDnQpRj5UthumYG4_ukw&cad=rja

Edited by IvanK

• 4 months later...
I bet you a real life F-5 pilot could'nt even tell you which tick marks are accurate without looking in the aircraft.

That would be an unwise bet...

Many limitations are Mach number based. Climb, cruise profiles. Turn performance, doghouse and PS diagrams. If we want to pretend to use it like the real thing (simulate, anyone?) it would be essential to have the Mach meter fixed.

• 3 weeks later...