(Unable to reproduce) I think VR Aircraft Scale is Off

mytai01

The aircraft in VR are too small. They seem to be 2/3 to 3/4 of the real aircraft in VR mode. That maybe unfixable, but I thought I'd mention it.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

True. And if the A-10C cockpit seems really cramped, then its pretty close to reality. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I've sat in real F-4N, F-14D, F-15A, Hawker Hunter, A-4. The scales are off a bit. But even more irritating is that they are way too low to the ground standing on their landing gear. I've tested the DCS GUI screen. Do it yourself. Here's how. Stand up THEN start DCS and wait till it get to the GUI and see how big the Flanker looks now! Then sit down and look at it. Then hit the KP5 key and see it reduced in size and scale. There is something wrong here and it always looks wrong in game while sitting in the cockpit.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Try the DCS F-15 in VR on the ground. Turn back and look at the wings and tell me it doesn't look like the wings are only 5 feet from the ground. Even looking around there is no sense of correct height from the ground while sitting on the ramp in any of the jets. These things feel like I'm in a low rider!

Personally, I don't have an issue with scale of anything. It reminds me how small the Gazelle cockpit was!

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've sat in real F-4N, F-14D, F-15A, Hawker Hunter, A-4. The scales are off a bit. But even more irritating is that they are way too low to the ground standing on their landing gear. I've tested the DCS GUI screen. Do it yourself. Here's how. Stand up THEN start DCS and wait till it get to the GUI and see how big the Flanker looks now! Then sit down and look at it. Then hit the KP5 key and see it reduced in size and scale. There is something wrong here and it always looks wrong in game while sitting in the cockpit.

There is scaling on the main menu scene.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I have to say that not all aircraft look small in the cockpit. So far the UH-1 and the A-10 look right. I've flown in the back of a UH-1, and have flown an OH-58 (right seat).

Edited by mytai01

i don't have a VR Headset, just a monitor and TrackIr, but when something appears "too small" it might be connected to FoV / zoom level maybe?

the wider the rendered FoV (not the physical FoV of the VR googles) the smaller things will appear to you.

Another thing that heavily affects this feeling of wrong distances (and also wrong speeds by the way) is the Field of View.

Keep in mind that in real life you have a pretty wide FOV, around 180° without even really noticing it. with VR devices it is a bit like walking around with a bucket without a bottom strapped to your head.

So yes, even though those VR devices might trick you into thinking you are naturally seeing something, there is a huge difference that some parts of your brain notice.

EDIT: sniped.

I guess the "zoom level" or magnification will affect the experienced scale but in oculus it has to be, and probably is, 1:1. Otherwise we would feel severely sick when using it.

Yes we have a narrow field of view but I don't think that's the problem (for me), I think it has more to do with the in game distance between the two images in your headset.

http://www.masterarms.se A Swedish Combat Flight Simulator Community.

The distance between your two images, or separation is in the view_customer.lua and is -7 for the left and 7 for the right - maybe someone will play around with this parameters?

But separation just makes the 3d effect / deepness and should be match your IPD

The size of the objects is related to the fov (just found the standard fov of the planes, no general setting (f-5 is 80°, maybe just for 2d?!))

Please Correct me if I'm wrong

• 3 weeks later...

Any comment from Devs on this? The planes and other objects (pilot's body) are definitely too small. When I sit in Dora and peek at my physical shoulders via nose hole, they are wider than the plane's fuselage!

I don't feel big in other games or Oculus demos...

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

• 3 months later...

Please dont compare WarThunder to DCS....

That's like comparing a real life Rabbit to Bugs Bunny Cartoons and complains the real bunny's ears are too short.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 4 weeks later...

I just searched for such thred...

Yes I also feel the scale is wrong. Not only inside but when you look outside other AC looks small, the wings, people, vehicles everything just looks small.

It is easy just to compare the real wathog hotas with the rendered one.

EDIT: or the pilot body in the mirage

The flanker in the hangar in the menu screens looks fine.

If this is fixable it will also would help for DCS spotting issues.

Edited by metzger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What affects the scale of objects in VR is the distance between left and right viewpoints, if it doesn't match your own physical distance between eyes (IPD), objects will fell smaller or bigger.

That's why some of you feel cockpits are too small and some others feel they are too big.

Only way to fix this is to adjust the eye distance in stereo.lua (I don't think they changed the location for it yet).

Edited by PiedDroit

The size of the objects is related to the fov (just found the standard fov of the planes, no general setting (f-5 is 80°, maybe just for 2d?!))

Please Correct me if I'm wrong

I don't have a VR set but based on the description of the problem and because every single module by default in DCS uses a different FOV value my suggestion would be to test if playing with the FOV settings solves the problem.

Specifically try to make the FOV the same for every module. Assuming that VR uses the samve view configuration functionality in DCS as for monitor displays.

1. Depending on the version, open user view config folder:

- 2.x alpha - C:\Users\@user_name\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Config\View

- 1.5.x beta - C:\Users\@user_name\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\View

2. Edit the SnapViews.lua file

3. Find the module for which the scale seems to be the most correct one. If it's for instance the F-15, find section starting with:

SnapViews["F-15C"] = {

4. Find the FOV setting

It's the "viewAngle" value at index 13

[13] = {--default view
       viewAngle = 90.000000,--FOV, 

Obviously 90.000000 is just an example and can be different for other users. Optionally it can also be made "nice", so if it's 91.12342345 feel free to change it to 90.00000 or 92 or whatever suites.

5. Copy the value to all other modules at index 13.

If you don't have the SnapViews.lua file just follow the procedure to create user snap view . Save any view, even better if it's not the default view - just to have the file created. It's better to use Notepad++ or Notepad2 as the windows standard one will not display the file layout nicelly.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

What affects the scale of objects in VR is the distance between left and right viewpoints, if it doesn't match your own physical distance between eyes (IPD), objects will fell smaller or bigger.

That's why some of you feel cockpits are too small and some others feel they are too big.

Only way to fix this is to adjust the eye distance in stereo.lua (I don't think they changed the location for it yet).

Can you please specify what should I change in that file to see how it will work ?

I tried with the rift's slider for IPD but i see no difference in objects scale.

Thank you!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can you please specify what should I change in that file to see how it will work ?

I tried with the rift's slider for IPD but i see no difference in objects scale.

Thank you!

Hi, the slider in the rift will only affect the optical part (distance of physical lenses), this will only make it more or less confortable to use.

The rendering part is, as far as I remember, in stereo.lua, parameters eye_shift

The default value is eye_shift = -0.032; for left eye and eye_shift = 0.032; for right eye.

My guess is that the value is in meters, which would correspond to an average IPD (2x32mm = 64mm).

Unfortunately I don't have a Rift with me to try if this still has an effect, so I would suggest to try some extreme values to see if it has any effect.

For exemple, -0.010 (left) and 0.010 (right) will make the distance between eyepoints small, so the cockpit should feel gigantic.

On the opposite, -0.060 (left) and 0.060 (right) will make the distance very large, so the cockpit should feel very small, like a toy.