Low FPS looking at towns

I'm getting significantly better FPS directly over Nevada (both at low and high alt.) in 2.0 than I'm now getting with the new 1.5.4 update.... especially with mirrors on in the F-15. My settings in both are the same.

Same, after one on the last patches Nevada 2.0 runs beautifully, best Iv ever seen!. For some reason 1.5 runs like molasses when looking at towns.

Windows 10 Pro 64, I5 4690k @4.6GHz with CAPTIAN 240EX AOI, Samsung 850 EVO ,G Skill Ripjaws 16G RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 STRIX, MSI Z97 GAMING 5, WD Blue 1TB HDD, Seasonic M12 II EVO psu, Track IR 5, Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S

Same, after one on the last patches Nevada 2.0 runs beautifully, best Iv ever seen!. For some reason 1.5 runs like molasses when looking at towns.

Can you imagine Las Vegas on the Caucasus map? I think it would drop to 10fps.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Same issue here but it includes small clusters of objects as well. Running VR but in certain situations like in Kutasi my FPS plummets.

Running pretty much everything on low, looking at INDIVIDUAL CORE usage no core goes beyond about 60% and my gpu never goes beyond 40% usage.

If this is directx calls like we keep hearing, I would of thought at least one of my cores should be at 100% usage being hung up making calls to my GPU or something along those lines; but basically my CPU are GPU are both just chilling out.

Additionally my system memory and GPU memory are also not being fully utilised with GPU not going past about 3-4Gb.

Temps are also perfectly fine with my CPU not going anywhere near past 50C and my GPU pretty much at idle temps.

Also running DCS World off of an SSD so I don't imagine textures being read in is a problem either.

Something is fundamentally wrong with the way the engine is rendering, if the rendering issues were resolved we VR people could probably crank pixel density up for readable cockpits and the like.

Also, why are so many individual objects rendered? I'm no expert here but surely big clusters of objects could be created as a single object and rendered that way? Like whole towns etc, it would make more sense to me considering how poorly DirectX apparently performs in this regard. Sure we might have bigger map files but the performance would surely be better?

DCS Dream Wishlist: 1. Better VR Performance/Performance Overall 2. Dynamic Campaign, 3. Fully Modelled: F16, F18, F14, F15, AH64, AH1, MI24, SU27, MIG29, EF Typhoon 4. Better ATC

Same issue here but it includes small clusters of objects as well. Running VR but in certain situations like in Kutasi my FPS plummets.

Running pretty much everything on low, looking at INDIVIDUAL CORE usage no core goes beyond about 60% and my gpu never goes beyond 40% usage.

If this is directx calls like we keep hearing, I would of thought at least one of my cores should be at 100% usage being hung up making calls to my GPU or something along those lines; but basically my CPU are GPU are both just chilling out.

Additionally my system memory and GPU memory are also not being fully utilised with GPU not going past about 3-4Gb.

Temps are also perfectly fine with my CPU not going anywhere near past 50C and my GPU pretty much at idle temps.

Also running DCS World off of an SSD so I don't imagine textures being read in is a problem either.

Something is fundamentally wrong with the way the engine is rendering, if the rendering issues were resolved we VR people could probably crank pixel density up for readable cockpits and the like.

Also, why are so many individual objects rendered? I'm no expert here but surely big clusters of objects could be created as a single object and rendered that way? Like whole towns etc, it would make more sense to me considering how poorly DirectX apparently performs in this regard. Sure we might have bigger map files but the performance would surely be better?

Yep you are getting the exact same thing as me but the devs keep arguing that there is no problem and it is how the game is meant to work which is ridiculous to me. Anytime I try to engage in a detailed discussion with them about this they ignore me or don't ever respond to begin with. Really irritating.

I'd like to know how many triangles something like a simple building has in this game. If is it more than a few.. then the models are not optimized worth a crap. Same for trees. Literally these buildings are very very low poly.. they appear to consist of usually around 5 polys but depending on how many times it is tesselated, what starts out at 5 polys could turn into 100 triangles which would be absolutely nonsense and is not how game models are supposed to be created. The less triangles or polys, the better.

HTC Vive, Saitek X52 Pro, i7-950 Overclocked to 4ghz, Noctua NH-D14 cooler, ASRock x58 Extreme MB, EVGA GTX 970 FTW, 24GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 RAM, EVGA 650-GQ (650 watts) PSU, Windows 10 Home

Can you imagine Las Vegas on the Caucasus map? I think it would drop to 10fps.

I wonder if part of the problem regarding Caucasus vs. Nevada is the sheer number of cities? Obviously, Vegas is EXTREMELY dense and detailed, but it really is an island in a sea of mostly desert, very few trees, structures, etc. Perhaps there just isn't nearly as much to render in Nevada, leading to better FPS performance... but I'm certainly no expert.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I wonder if part of the problem regarding Caucasus vs. Nevada is the sheer number of cities? Obviously, Vegas is EXTREMELY dense and detailed, but it really is an island in a sea of mostly desert, very few trees, structures, etc. Perhaps there just isn't nearly as much to render in Nevada, leading to better FPS performance... but I'm certainly no expert.

Interesting thought but I'm sure Nevada beats the Caucasus (not stareways dlc) in poly count and texture resolution. I't seems counter intuitive that Nevada runs like a champ and the Caucuses took the hit. I wonder if in one of the last update some value was accidentally changed or a line of code deleted, as I'v stated before I have never had this low of FPS since trying to run DCS on a GTX 250! :cry:. As it stands now for me....1.5 is unplayable especially with TrackIR, so I hope its changed soon. I am one of those people who Is extremely happy with 60 fps at 1080p (well me res is actually 1680x1050 but that's beside the point) I know DCS is not the most well optimized engine but is that to much to ask?

Edited by Goldsmack

Windows 10 Pro 64, I5 4690k @4.6GHz with CAPTIAN 240EX AOI, Samsung 850 EVO ,G Skill Ripjaws 16G RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 STRIX, MSI Z97 GAMING 5, WD Blue 1TB HDD, Seasonic M12 II EVO psu, Track IR 5, Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S

It may be worth trying deleting the options.lua in saved games/config.

It will reset all your options to their default, and has been known to speed up things considerably in 1.5.4.

Then once you have everything at default, gradually change your settings back, watching the perfiormance hits, until you get to something workable.

Also, remember to switch to Full Screen mode by pressing Alt & Enter.

It may be worth trying deleting the options.lua in saved games/config.

It will reset all your options to their default, and has been known to speed up things considerably in 1.5.4.

Then once you have everything at default, gradually change your settings back, watching the perfiormance hits, until you get to something workable.

Also, remember to switch to Full Screen mode by pressing Alt & Enter.

Thanks :thumbup: I may give this a try later today. I have heard of deleting the options.lua before but never tried it (never really had a reason). As for the Alt-Tab thing I do that almost every time I runs DCS. Hopefully I can get it to a playable state.

My frame rates plummet when looking at towns as well. It's murder in VR. I'd expect my PC to run anything and do it well with VR (and it does with everything else), but DCS is proving to be the exception. All of my settings are essentially the minimum; shadows LOW and PD = 1.5. *shrugs*

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

If 2.5 is bringing new terrain tech, then wont that assist in dense areas of the map? It certainly works really well in Vegas, and in fact the alpha is running faster than the beta for me. Id imagine this issue will be improved significantly with 2.5.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I still have the issue and have had to lower my setting to well below what my GPU is capable of just to make it playable and not an absolute stutter fest

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

Well, I modified my luas view settings based on 1.5.2, I got some performance back without having problems with renders. Also I use no tree shadow mod by Mustang, which also helps a lot. The performance is just fine to me.

Oh I agree in 2d performance is very good, 3D and or VR defiantly different story. Will mess around with some lua action currently using Starways dlc textures so his luas may just be to strong for 3D and VR.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

I hope this problem is fixed today. DCS is unplayable due to the poor frames at the airports near towns.

Does anyone a mod to change the starways Caucasus luas to close to the 1.5.2 values?

Edited by Jacks

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

What gpus are people with this issue using?