VR wishlist

Shabi

I seldom fly online because I'm shy, asocial, non english-native, etc.

But these last 2 days I dare to fly at the virtual aerobatics server and I was thinking how cool it would be if others could see my head moving naturally in all 6 DOF inside the cockpit, or see others people movement when using VR. It may bring to life the pilot model.

The animation of a body attached to a head that moves freely is really difficult, so I think that a floating head should be enough, like it's usual in current VR games.

• Like 1

Today, internally, we implemented the ability to cursor select Radio Menu items.

Thanks

is this feature for VR only?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

Today, internally, we implemented the ability to cursor select Radio Menu items.

Thanks

Just seen this, thank you Wags, appreciate this little bit of news.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

VR zoom (oculus)

Playing DCS last night I realized that the zoom feature was making me sick. Forced slewing of a camera, whether it's the transform or FOV will do that.

Would we be able to get an option where it instead pops up a new framebuffer in a hovering window parented to the head? That way you could quickly snap it on and off without the slew and sickness.

I'm under the impression it's an animated zoom in? (I only have vive). I wonder if a simple pop-in-and-out snap zoom would be better. I feel like a zoomed box in the view would just ruin immersion.

Has there been any indication of when we will have feature parity with the vive?

I'd like to see the tooltip boxes be made to accommodate the text within them and not any larger; the box should scale according to the amount of information being displayed. We should have the option in a LUA file at the least to resize the text as well to make it more legible in VR.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Performance issues

Hi i am not using VR but i think performance of ED at low altitude flying could be a issue to look with some attention.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------

Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34

Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.

I'd like to see the ability to override the tool tips setting in the cockpit. Joining servers where the tool tips are switched on globally is a PITA. Making the tool tips box fit the text displayed is also a major issue and immersion slaughterer right now, so I'd see that single issue made a high priority.

The option to choose a colour/intensity for the cursor would also be a good move - and perhaps the ability to change the persistence times for the cursor too.

Other stuff, like squeezing the last ounce of performance out of DCS World naturally goes without saying, and I am sure will remain in ED's sights,

A user-selectable function to allow for changing the text color and size of the tooltips would be a good idea. This way VR pilots could change the text to a higher contrasting color if they wanted (I would make mine blue, and larger)

*it works, doesn't it?*

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I think I've seen this wish before, but I'm going to +1 it.

Fixed cursor location *somehow*. Ideas:

1) Sticky cursor with button press. If you find a spot for the cursor, press the lock button. When you want the cursor back to gaze-directed, press the button again (and reset after a delay).

2) Sticky cursor for scroll wheel and left/right mouse button options, but not left-click only options. So a dial would automatically lock the cursor, and so would any feature the includes a left and right button. These are the functions that are going to take the most time to fiddle with. After a certain amount of time, the lock is released. Left-click only options are going to be one-and-done, so there's no reason to linger.

Also, an un-wish:

I though wand integration would be the holy grail of cockpit interaction, but I think gaze-directed + sticky cursor would be way better.

I think I've seen this wish before, but I'm going to +1 it.

Fixed cursor location *somehow*. Ideas:

1) Sticky cursor with button press. If you find a spot for the cursor, press the lock button. When you want the cursor back to gaze-directed, press the button again (and reset after a delay).

2) Sticky cursor for scroll wheel and left/right mouse button options, but not left-click only options. So a dial would automatically lock the cursor, and so would any feature the includes a left and right button. These are the functions that are going to take the most time to fiddle with. After a certain amount of time, the lock is released. Left-click only options are going to be one-and-done, so there's no reason to linger.

Also, an un-wish:

I though wand integration would be the holy grail of cockpit interaction, but I think gaze-directed + sticky cursor would be way better.

This has been discussed in the following thread in the 1.5/2.0 wishlist section: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=173329

There have been some suggestions of how to do it. Im ny opinion the most important thing is not to force every VR user to use the same control method for this, since people may have very strong preferences. Instead, I would like to see a few alternative ways to control the cockpit.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

I'd like to see the ability to override the tool tips setting in the cockpit. Joining servers where the tool tips are switched on globally is a PITA. Making the tool tips box fit the text displayed is also a major issue and immersion slaughterer right now, so I'd see that single issue made a high priority.

The option to choose a colour/intensity for the cursor would also be a good move - and perhaps the ability to change the persistence times for the cursor too.

Other stuff, like squeezing the last ounce of performance out of DCS World naturally goes without saying, and I am sure will remain in ED's sights,

This.. that tool tips are killing me :thumbup:

But how the heck do you interact with the keyboard through these devices? I guess all that have a VR unit is lifting off the goggles when using the keyboard and then look in the VR unit to see if you hit the correct menu. And what about in-game chat?

That's exactly my question:

I would like to mount a webcam on the rift.

If ED would make a window, fixed to the FOV, that shows the live webcam capture.

But with DCS still active in the Rift.

show and hide the window with shortcuts on a joystick button.

So we could watch real life around us if necessary.

VLC player e.g. is free for everyone. could be used for streaming.

blibet suber!

😄

ray

Swiss Jet Team Movie 2021

If ED would make a window, fixed to the FOV, that shows the live webcam capture.

I have seen a lot of people ask this question, but when you wear the Rift (I can't speak for the Vive), it is really easy to just peek down through the nose gap to see your keyboard. It sounds awkward but it really isn't. When looking ahead the nose gap isn't within your FOV and so it doesn't cause a distraction. I find it quite usable to navigate the comms menus with the keyboard for example. Not ideal but certainly do-able. Most commonly used functions will of course be mapped to your HOTAS where you operate via muscle memory to find the various controls. Adding a pass though camera would work I guess but a pop up video window would break immersion as much as a quick peek down, and it would use CPU/GPU cycles that might be better spent in other areas.

• 3 months later...

Blank/remove the desktop framebuffer.

Would we get a tangible performance increase if we didn't render the 3rd frame buffer on the desktop? ie we have one render for the left eye, one for the right and one for the desktop. If the desktop render is triggering a 3rd batch of draw calls, turning it off might help vr performance considerably.

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

It's not a third frame. It's the left eye frame before the warp is applied so it doesn't cost anything.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

There is of course the completely practical and viable alternative of voice activated commands. It was the first thing I added to my set up after I got the Rift. I use a button on the joystick to engage the Voice Attack system to listen, and then you can just speak a command, or say a key press, and then release the listening button. It is much easier than adding a camera, and gives plenty of flexibility, even going as far as entire macros if you so desire.

Blank/remove the desktop framebuffer.

Would we get a tangible performance increase if we didn't render the 3rd frame buffer on the desktop? ie we have one render for the left eye, one for the right and one for the desktop. If the desktop render is triggering a 3rd batch of draw calls, turning it off might help vr performance considerably.

It's not a third frame. It's the left eye frame before the warp is applied so it doesn't cost anything.

Desktop window is mirror of left eye,

There is no difference between left eye and desktop window, it's Mirror.

The warping is already there on the top/bottom, everything else is done by the optics you're looking through.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Ahh I see, I figured that since I wasn't seeing any warping it was an extra framebuffer. Cool.

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

• 1 month later...