Newcomer questions

Brett Sinclair

Hello DCS pilots,

I'm new to DCS. I enjoyed a life-long interest for engineering in general, especially motorsports. So it is only logical that I finally try to make my way into DCS World after years of FSX and Strike Fighters 2, aside my "main games", sim racing.

However, I have a couple of questions:

- Will DCS 2 (the final release) be free?

- Will it include Nevada or Georgia?

- If not, at which price will Nevada retail? I'd like to get a feeling for the costs of DCS.

- Will FC3 work in DCS 2?

- I may buy a solo plane from FC3 first. Should I get the F-15C or the Su-27?

- I may have to buy a joystick anytime soon (mouse control via ppjoy works fine, but a joystick supposedly works better). Which budget one would be good for DCS?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Brett Sinclair

ps:

I hope this is the right forum. I did not find a specific forum for my kind of question.

Welcome to the DCS world. :)

1. Yes, the DCS platform will be free.

2. The final merge to version 2.5 will include Georgia as a free map.

3. Nevada will probably cost the same it does now, check the store. You may also wait for price cuts which are around 30-50%.

4. Yes. FC3 works and will work.

5. Depends on what do you expect from the planes. You should tell us more about you and how you want to play.

6. I would say the Saitek X-52 can give you the most for the money.

• Like 1

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Welcome to the DCS world. :)

1. Yes, the DCS platform will be free.

2. The final merge to version 2.5 will include Georgia as a free map.

3. Nevada will probably cost the same it does now, check the store. You may also wait for price cuts which are around 30-50%.

4. Yes. FC3 works and will work.

5. Depends on what do you expect from the planes. You should tell us more about you and how you want to play.

6. I would say the Saitek X-52 can give you the most for the money.

This is pretty much spot on, if you can't drop the cash on an x52 you can always pick up a Logitech 3d pro. They're good for the money and won't be a huge investment. As far as picking the F-15C or Su-27S, I'd say wait for a sale for fc3 as it includes both of them, as well as the Su-33, Su-25A, A-10A, and three variants of the MiG-29 (A,S, and G models). It's worth the standard price but if you can't afford it for whatever reason sales happen pretty frequently. Welcome to our little community btw. Always good to have newcomers.

• Like 1

My Specs:

Win 10 Pro 64bit/ i7 6770K 4.5Ghz/32GB DDR4/ GTX 1070 SC/Samsung SSD

Warthog Stick/TWCS Throttle/TrackIR 5

Agree with all the above, and yes welcome to the DCS community! You are in for a treat with DCSW!

Edit: Also Nevada is currently on sale for 20% off through the 20th of this month.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

If I may add something regarding the F-15 and SU-27...

SU-27 is more demanding, its harder to master and requires better situation awareness. But at the same time can give you a lot more enjoyment in my opinion. It's eastern aircraft which means SI units (meters, kilometers etc.). I enjoy flying it a lot more than F-15.

F-15 on the other hand is easier to fly and has better tools to have good situation awareness due to the superior RWR. It uses NATO units (feets, miles etc.) and have the feature of fire and forget with Amraams.

Both planes can give a ton of enjoyment so maybe buying FC3 would be a better option.

Edited by Jumbik

Welcome! If you come from SF2 and FSX and are without a good joystick, I recommend to start with FC3 and go from there. Also try the free TF-51 so you get a feel for clickable cockpit and the level of detail DCS offers. It can get expensive really quick, not just DCS but all the gear and computer upgrades to make it more enjoyable. Don't use steam and keep a close watch for good deals and bundles on the homepage. I can also recommend ED tracker pro for a great and cheap headtracker solution.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies.

My main interest is air superiority fighters and interceptors, I am stunned by their performance.

FC3 really seems to be a good deal. I have a heart for Russian aircraft, but the bundle may be the best option after all. I try to use my remaining steam wallet money, however, so I wait for a steam sale anytime soon (I suppose it will follow the ED sale). Georgia appears to be much more of an attractive map to me, so I will not (yet?) buy it.

Talking of which, what are the differences between the ED and the Steam version? Can I use a Steam Code on the ED version and vice versa?

And do I need certain modules to join servers? Or is FC3 enough for the most populated ones (assuming I will be shoot down rather quickly in the beginning anyway).

Furthermore, thanks for the advice on hardware. The X-52 may be a bit steep for me currently. The Logitech 3d Pro seems fine (my Logitech DFGT is still running strong), but I somewhat miss the throttle lever. For roughly the same price I saw the Thrustmaster Hotas X. Is it good as well? I suppose FFB is not the main priority in flight sims (unlike racing).

I'll also take a look at head-tracking at a later point, a button on my joystick has to be enough for the beginning.

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Brett Sinclair

Edited by Brett Sinclair

You can use Steam codes to activate on ED page but not vice versa... so if you want to play on steam only then ignore the ED store completely or you will be really sad about the differences in available modules and prices too. Steam is far behind at the moment with available modules.

FC3 will get you a good base and is used on most servers, except WWII for obvious reasons...

If you can, I would recommend you NOT to stay on Steam, It's very far behind atm. Luckily, you can buy a module on Steam and use it with the stand-alone version on the ED page :) On a tight budget, you want to download version 1.5 with the free Caucasus map. It's a great way to get started, two free aircraft included, and there is a lot of mp servers to join. The 2.0 version has the Nevada map, and that map cost money.

Further down the line, if you like Soviet aircrafts and interceptors, I suggest you have a look at the very detailed Mig-21bis. [ame]

[/ame]

Thank you.

A bit of a shame with Steam, so I'll stick with the ED version.

I suppose I do not need all the modules running on a server to join?

Best regards,

Brett Sinclair

No you dont but there might be some servers which will have only some specific modules like WW2 server only etc.

Thank you.

A bit of a shame with Steam, so I'll stick with the ED version.

I suppose I do not need all the modules running on a server to join?

Best regards,

Brett Sinclair

No you don't need to own ALL content running on a server in order to join it. If there's a server running Su-27's, F-15's, Mirages and A-10C warthogs your FC3 copy will allow you to take a Su-27 or F-15 slot just fine. Naturally you won't be able to sit inside a Warthog or Mirage if you don't own it. Your FC3 copy will allow you to join a large portion of the servers. Naturally you won't be able to do anything in servers with a specific theme ( WW2, requires FW-190, BF109 and/or P-51) (Korea, requires F-86 or MiG-15) other than spectate. You will need a copy of NTTR to join any servers running the Nevada map, for now, all servers on Nevada need a seperate client anyway, but that will soon change.

I try to use my remaining steam wallet money, however, so I wait for a steam sale anytime soon (I suppose it will follow the ED sale). Georgia appears to be much more of an attractive map to me, so I will not (yet?) buy it.

Not 100% sure of what you're trying to say here. But the Georgia map is free, there are updates incoming and they will be free too. All other maps, released or upcoming will (most likely) have to be bought. The Nevada map is out now. There's a Strait of Hormuz, Normandy 1944 and Pacific war map upcoming that we currently know about.

Check my F-15C guide

You can buy on steam no problem and activate on the stand alone ED install. But you can't buy from ED and activate on steam...

And welcome to ED and DCS.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Hello DCS pilots,

I'm new to DCS. I enjoyed a life-long interest for engineering in general, especially motorsports. So it is only logical that I finally try to make my way into DCS World after years of FSX and Strike Fighters 2, aside my "main games", sim racing.

However, I have a couple of questions:

- Will DCS 2 (the final release) be free?

- Will it include Nevada or Georgia?

- If not, at which price will Nevada retail? I'd like to get a feeling for the costs of DCS.

- Will FC3 work in DCS 2?

- I may buy a solo plane from FC3 first. Should I get the F-15C or the Su-27?

- I may have to buy a joystick anytime soon (mouse control via ppjoy works fine, but a joystick supposedly works better). Which budget one would be good for DCS?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Brett Sinclair

ps:

I hope this is the right forum. I did not find a specific forum for my kind of question.

- DCSWorld Platform is Free, Comes with Caucasus, Su-25T, and TF-51 Modules.

- Nevada is PDLC and Requires a Purchased License

- Nevada Terrain is Currently 39.99 USD, it will go up once it's released.

- All DCS 1.x Aircraft Modules Work in DCS 2

Other questions are user preference.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I bought the F-15C and the Su-27 now (not wanting to spend more money on planes I'd never fly anyway).

Having learned the basics now, I'd like to join multiplayer sessions.

When having joined a lesson, however, I only see the map or even a black screen (clicking on it leads to a black screen).

How do I actually join the session?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Brett

Another question: How do I see my multiplayer results (104th and Open Conflict server)?

I engaged two enemies today, and I'd like to know how I did (BVR).

EDIT: Is the a blinking target rectangle in the F-15's HUD a kill confirmation? If so, what is it in the Su-27?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Brett

Edited by Brett Sinclair

Depends on what you want to check.

Trivial Points for kills are stated in the stats pop-up..which is "Ä" on my german keyboard, next to return if that helps.

You do not get any points, credits other than fun & some respect for flying non-thankful Helicopter missions with troops and cargo 45min downrange and back....and again ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Another question: How do I see my multiplayer results (104th and Open Conflict server)?

I engaged two enemies today, and I'd like to know how I did (BVR).

EDIT: Is the a blinking target rectangle in the F-15's HUD a kill confirmation? If so, what is it in the Su-27?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Brett

As BitMaster said, simple kill points are shown in multiplayer. I'm also using a german keyboard, but said key is the second key to the right of L.

If you want greater analysis of your performance you can watch the track (replay) of your session. DCS automatically saves tracks for MP. You can access them from the main menu. They are stored in your Saved Games/DCS folder. But be warned: They are unreliable. They tend to diverge from what really happened over time.

The best way to analyse what happened and get a good understanding of air combat in DCS is a 3rd party tool called TacView: http://tacview.strasoftware.com/

Its basic version is free and offers all you need. It is really easy to use and provides very good information and shows the action in a really cool 3D-view. The only problem here is, that on some servers (the 104th beeing one of them) the use of this tool is disabled, because it has real-time features that can be exploited :(

And btw, it also works with some other games like Falcon 4 (BMS).

Edit: I just noticed that TacView is celebrating its 10th anniversary today: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2824672#post2824672

I think the comments speak for themselves ;)

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg