Goodbye TM Warthog... Hello VKB Black Mamba!

Cyph3r

Hey Cyph3r, just to confirm, you didn't have to remap the buttons? I thought since the controller in the base is missing, you had to manually tell DCS what the buttons do. Does it just work out of the box like a normal TM?

That base looks nice. And you have more rotaries/switches to play with.:joystick::joystick:

Yeah I'd have to manually remap the buttons on the stick. All the button IDs are different to the stock Warthog. It's worth the effort though!

As you said, I'm using the Warthog grip and Warthog throttle but I've also got the awesome gimbal and a ton of additional rotaries and switches! Best of both worlds :D

Edited by Cyph3r

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the feedback and details Cyph3r :thumbup:

It looks like you're now equipped with one of the best combination of control devices to date!

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Thanks for the feedback and details Cyph3r :thumbup:

It looks like you're now equipped with one of the best combination of control devices to date!

It's just a shame I'm such a bad pilot :lol:

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am jealous :) Nice looking combo you have. One thing from a chopper pilot I have no access to any controls on the base without compromising my seating arrangement but worth it for the gimbal and spring options:thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am still amazed that while VKB has amazing designs and ideas, and courage to break through for "dying" simulator market, that they still don't have a "universal" good multi-hat stick in their arsenal.

Like looking many Saitek cheap sticks, they have 2 hats and handful of buttons. Then is like Logitech G940 that has:

- 8-way hat

- Mini-joystick

- 5 buttons

- Dual-stage trigger

- 3-Rotaries

- Force Feedback

And then comes the TM Warthog that just has amazing amount of 4/8 way hats.

But where are sticks that has like:

- 3-4 8-way hats (and/or one of them as Mini-joystick)

- Dual-stage trigger

- 3-way mode switch (visible to computer)

- 3-4 buttons.

- Force Feedback

And I mean, really put them all to one stick so there would be possibility for anyone to map everything to HOTAS.

KVB really comes fairly close, but they are missing the FF, as far I know.

But would it be simple/medium difficulty to build a own FF hydraulics by making own stick with it, then get a good grip like TH Warthog or something from KVB?

It isn't difficult at all to build a extension to existing joysticks, with a hydraulic dampeners, but just not have any FF effects there :-/

Pardon me. "Dying" simulator market? I may have lost something in translation here. I am not a DCS fanboy, but they have grabbed a serious piece of the market here. Yeah, sometimes they get it wrong, but as a whole: "IMHO they are doing a great job" considering the other stuff they are up to, militray/civilian. I think there are a lot of simmers here would disagree with that comment m8.

weeb

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

Pardon me. "Dying" simulator market? I may have lost something in translation here. I am not a DCS fanboy, but they have grabbed a serious piece of the market here. Yeah, sometimes they get it wrong, but as a whole: "IMHO they are doing a great job" considering the other stuff they are up to, militray/civilian. I think there are a lot of simmers here would disagree with that comment m8.

weeb

The quotes are the sarcastic. As many would say simulation market died after 90's, when we had dozens of simulators. Now we basically have just a few. DCS, X-plane, MSFS (abandoned?) and then steel beasts (leaving the WW1 sim out).

And bunch of semi-sims.

And then we had lots of controllers from almost everyone.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

... and WWII sims: War Thunder :D IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad & Moscow, IL-2 CLoD (Yes, is not dead). ;)

And few controllers options, Logitech - now with low cost model only, Saitek - finishing production of some models, Thrustmaster - with some new middle cost models, CH - with their 1999 models :) .

Fortunately small brands/makers are bringing novelty and innovation for the market: MFG, SLAW, BAUR, VKB. ;)

Edited by Sokol1_br

So just an update - it turns out that on the default cams and the second to strongest springs, the grip WAS tipping forward under it's weight a tiny bit. About 4% of the Y-axis travel.

However, the VKB Black Mamba actually does something quite clever. It seems like every time you plug the Mamba in, it recalibrates to its current center, rather than having a stored center position.

So I didn't think the grip was tipping forward because 1. it was a small amount and 2. the BM was recalibrating the center to be the slighty tipped forward position.

I only noticed because even with the soft center cams, there is an absolutely tiny bump at the center of the cam, and I realised the Y-axis was centering slightly forward of that bump with the Warthog grip when doing some super slow movements around the center!

What's even more interesting is that even though the BM recalibrated the center to 4% more forward than usual, it still had 100% axis deflection on the Y-axis, it's just the physical deflection of the Y-axis was about 1/2 degrees shorter pitching down vs pitching up.

Honestly the way the BM handles this is excellent, I went days without realising!!

Even though it really didn't effect my flying, I'm trying the W cam again with a lighter spring (the green spring) and keeping the blue spring on the roll axis. I'm still not a fan of the small center bump on the W cam but it's necessary to keep it 100% upright....

I may just go back to the soft center cam because the BM handled the off-center calibration so perfectly!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's an interesting find; very telling of VKB's way of doing things 'under the hood'. Nice! :)

That reminds me of Ilya (UIV) of VKB telling me how their T-Rudders MaRS sensors are measuring the angle from the cam, not the movement of the pedal arms; I guess the same can be applied here.

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb | JetPad FSE | MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate (center) | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III w/ SCG-R Premium (side)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

There's some lovely tech and clever design in VKB's devices, indeed :)

The autocentering and autocalibration parameters are available in the "Common -n- Axes / Physical Axes" tab in the VKB Device Config software.

This illustrates why they really need a detailed translation of their russian manual.

The users would learn to enjoy their devices even more.

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

You tell them, Bourrinopathe! :)

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb | JetPad FSE | MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate (center) | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III w/ SCG-R Premium (side)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Cyph3r, if that's the behavior on the default cam with Blue springs, what is it like with Black springs? I assume there's a reason you didn't want to use them?

I did try the black springs, and on the soft center cam it will still tip forward very slightly, about 1-2% of the Y-axis travel.

The reason I'm not using the black springs is because the Mamba has a non-linear/progressive feel travel, when you get to the extremes of each axis the tension ramps up. I really like this, it's sort of a faux-ffb. But with the black springs it's just way too strong and makes it difficult to reach the extremes.

I can imagine the black springs work a lot better when using the extension!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]