auto-start not working

Are you using 2.0? If so, I believe it is a known issue

No - I'm using 1.5.

Not completely sure - but it seems to be mission specific.

For example in the Death Valley mission - cannot do an auto-start.

If someone else is using 1.5 - would appreciate a quick start test on that mission.

It's a bug.

I checked both in 1.5 Open Beta and 1.5 Release, and it is the same in both - using auto start, the right engine never starts. I only checked in the Death Valley Mission.

Good time to learn manual start...

:thumbup:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The sequence fails because it moves the right fuel shutoff valve to open too soon (below 2000rpm)

If you are quick you can manually close the valve & press en engine start button again for another attempt & opening the valve only after it passes 2000rpm.

If you aren't quick enough the sequence shuts the APU off before the right engine is running self sustaining. Then you have to start the APU again and do it all over again. :)

Otter

The sequence fails because it moves the right fuel shutoff valve to open too soon (below 2000rpm)

This - I checked again and was about to post the same, looks like it opens too soon.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

This - I checked again and was about to post the same, looks like it opens too soon.

I looked at the manual and there's nothing about the shutoff value needing to be opened at 2000+ rpm.

if the valve is closed below that - where is the engine getting the fuel from?

I looked at the manual and there's nothing about the shutoff value needing to be opened at 2000+ rpm.

if the valve is closed below that - where is the engine getting the fuel from?

Watch your left shutoff valve during auto start, I believe the N1 value is actually 20%. I believe it too actually opens a little early, but gets by with it. Then watch the right, you will see the shutoff valve open before N1 reaches 20%, and it never catches and spools up.

During manual start, the shutoff valves are closed and the APU is feeding the engine ( same as auto start), once N1 reaches 20% you open the shut off valve to feed the engine and it continues to spool up. Once spooled up beyond 60% select the right engine and repeat.

It should work that way during auto-start as well, but apparently is bugged on this one.

Excerpt from the manual:

6- Select engine to start Use the engine/APU switch to select the engine to be started on the “ВСУ – ДВИГ ЛЕВ – ДВИГ ПРАВ – ТУРБОПРИВОД” (engine selector: APU-left engine-right engine-turbo gear). The appropriate choices include “ЛЕВ” (left engine) or “ПРАВ” (right engine). 7- Start engine Press the “ЗАПУСК” (Start-up selected engine) button. 8- Open cut-off valve lever of the selected engine Once the engine RPM reaches 20%, move the appropriate red engine cutoff lever to the “ОТКРЫТО” (open) position, the engine will automatically reach idle mode in less than 60 seconds.

I might suggest downloading and reading Chuck's excellent KA-50 Guide, he goes over the process of doing a manual start very well with illustrations, it is what I used to learn to manually start the KA-50.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-uSpZROuEd3U1VZWWNBam9ZdDg/view?pref=2&pli=1

Once you get the hang of it, it is very rewarding. The main thing is learning where all those switches are, once you do it a few times it becomes pretty easy.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I appreciate your response - but could this be a case of mis comm.

You wrote shutoff valve -

The manual has cutoff lever.

We're talking about the red lever on the left hand side right?

Not the fuel toggle switch on the right?

Both engines have their own fuel valves - you switch them open before start attempt.

I appreciate your response - but could this be a case of mis comm.

You wrote shutoff valve -

The manual has cutoff lever.

We're talking about the red lever on the left hand side right?

Not the fuel toggle switch on the right?

Both engines have their own fuel valves - you switch them open before start attempt.

Yes sorry - the red levers on the left, one for the left engine and one for the right engine.

Don B

This bug was introduced quite a number of updates ago. The problem is that not enough time was allowed for the left engine to completely spool up in the startup macro. You can edit the {DCS}\mods\aircraft\ka-50\cockpit\scripts\macro_sequencies.lua file to fix it. Open the file and the look for the following section around line 243 (in my file).

[font=Courier New]--[[
Переключатель двигателей четырехпозиционный
--]]
{time = [color=Red]102.150000[/color],device = 4,action = 3008,value = 0.200000},
--[[
Запуск выбранного двигателя
--]]
{time = [color=Red]103.616000[/color],device = 4,action = 3005,value = 1.000000},
{time = [color=Red]103.706000[/color],device = 4,action = 3005,value = 0.000000},
--[[
Стоп-кран правого двигателя
--]]
{time = [color=Red]109.650000[/color],device = 4,action = 3010,value = 1.000000},

{time = 120.8,message = _("STARTING AIRCRAFT - 1 MIN REMAINING"),message_timeout = 55.0},
[/font]

If you add 10 seconds to each of the values in red it should fix the problem. After you get it working you can try to decrease the values gradually to minimize the startup time.

Edit: I take that last part back -- because there are other steps afterwards and you aren't adding any time to them, the total startup time is unaffected.

Edited by ajax
  • Like 1

This bug was introduced quite a number of updates ago. The problem is that not enough time was allowed for the left engine to completely spool up in the startup macro. You can edit the {DCS}\mods\aircraft\ka-50\cockpit\scripts\macro_sequencies.lua file to fix it. Open the file and the look for the following section around line 243 (in my file).

[font=Courier New]--[[
Переключатель двигателей четырехпозиционный
--]]
{time = [color=Red]102.150000[/color],device = 4,action = 3008,value = 0.200000},
--[[
Запуск выбранного двигателя
--]]
{time = [color=Red]103.616000[/color],device = 4,action = 3005,value = 1.000000},
{time = [color=Red]103.706000[/color],device = 4,action = 3005,value = 0.000000},
--[[
Стоп-кран правого двигателя
--]]
{time = [color=Red]109.650000[/color],device = 4,action = 3010,value = 1.000000},

{time = 120.8,message = _("STARTING AIRCRAFT - 1 MIN REMAINING"),message_timeout = 55.0},
[/font]

If you add 10 seconds to each of the values in red it should fix the problem. After you get it working you can try to decrease the values gradually to minimize the startup time.

Edit: I take that last part back -- because there are other steps afterwards and you aren't adding any time to them, the total startup time is unaffected.

What's the syntax of the time values that would be increased?

Can you give us an example, possibly time xxx.yyyy change to aaa.bbbb?

Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

Sure.

The time values are in seconds, so change the first value from 102.150000 to 112.150000, the second from 103.616000 to 113.616000, the third from 103.706000 to 113.706000, and the last one from 109.650000 to 119.650000.

• Like 1

Sure.

The time values are in seconds, so change the first value from 102.150000 to 112.150000, the second from 103.616000 to 113.616000, the third from 103.706000 to 113.706000, and the last one from 109.650000 to 119.650000.

Thanks, that was my guess.

I made a JSGME enabled Mod and tried it out. Worked fine.

Thanks again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

Despite this is a bug, is not that hard to start her up manually at all and have more realism.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

That's your opinion Ace, and you're welcome to it.

You made a JGSME mod but can't do a manual start? lol I literally learned it in 15 min. It's pretty easy and much faster than the auto start.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

There are as many ways to enjoy the game as there are virtual pilots virtual pilots! Let's be understanding with everybody.

But if you do an auto-start in MY missions, I'll take that as a personnal offense and a blasphemy. You will ban forever and your callsign will be dishonored to the end of time.

Kidding :megalol:

Not :noexpression: