Vickers all over the place

I played coupla missions and my vickers have been flying all over the place - no where near the target. Maybe 1 out of 4 is on target. All targets are locked.

What could be causing this problem?

I think this started to happen with the last update.

Could be you're too close. Try firing from at least 3 km away

I tried it again today.

Was steady in a hover and about 6 km away - first 2 went haywire and the 3rd hit.

The track file would have been big - and also you never know what a DCS track file will play back.

Point is - I was steady, locked and about 6 km away - that should be a guarantee hit - or at least hit close by. The misses I have are way off.

My vote on the sidewind as well. What happens is that, on downwind side, the wind will push the missile away from the laser beam. And since the missile is a beamrider it will go stupid, once the beam is lost. Upwind side is not a problem, since the wind will blow the missile into the beam.

The solution is to ensure the wind is blowing nose/tail direction before firing. You couöd also try disabling the auto-hover and let the helicopter drift with the wind.

My vote on the sidewind as well. What happens is that, on downwind side, the wind will push the missile away from the laser beam. And since the missile is a beamrider it will go stupid, once the beam is lost. Upwind side is not a problem, since the wind will blow the missile into the beam.

The solution is to ensure the wind is blowing nose/tail direction before firing. You couöd also try disabling the auto-hover and let the helicopter drift with the wind.

I believe the I had a tailwind - looked pretty strong from the smoke stacks.

I will go into the mission editor and set the wind to 0 and try again...

Will report back.

the symptoms you are describing sound like wind. It takes a great deal of effort to get vikhrs to works correctly correctly in the wind (a Vickers, however, doesn't mind a bit of wind).

The problem is that these are beam-riding missiles, and it doesn't take much to blow them out of the beam. If you are launching from a hover in a strong crosswind, you will need to drift with the wind a fair bit to keep this from happening. If you are in forward flight, you will need to line your pass up either dead upwind or dead downwind, otherwise it is nearly impossible to get the missiles to enter the guidance beam. If you must make a crosswind pass, you will need to allow yourself to sideslip until you have no relative crosswind.

If none of these options is open to you, and you must launch from a dead hover in high winds, you will need to switch to manual mode and aim into the wind a bit. When doing this, you will need to be cognizant of which side the next missile will launch from. If you have a 10 m/s wind from the left, and the missile is coming off the right hand rail, you will need to aim more to the left than if the missile is from the left-hand rail.

I think I'm going to make a video on this when I get some free time. This topic comes up a fair bit (help! my vikhrs are insane!) for both the Shark and the T-Frog. A lot of confusion would be alleviated if people had a better understand of how the system works.

• Like 1

I

The track file would have been big - and also you never know what a DCS track file will play back.

Track files are pretty small and play fairly reliably recently. Make a track and see if it plays back. If it does, upload it.

Track files are pretty small and play fairly reliably recently. Make a track and see if it plays back. If it does, upload it.

Went into the mission editor and set wind to zero...the vickers were straight and true.

I did save the track file - but got screwed up half way thru - completely different ending. Very disappointed with this ED bug!

Did you speed up the playback?

No - let it play at 1x - I did change view modes frequently. I would love to save these files for posterity but useless with this bug.

Re the wind issue - the funny thing is that the original wind was almost a direct tailwind. I would think direct tail/head wind would have minimal impact on the accuracy.

Shame you're having trouble with tracks. Mine have been working perfectly recently. Perhaps take look on the next big update. I'm sure people would be interested in seeing your problem.

The problem I noticed in the replay was about half way thru - one of the AI tanks moved to a different location.

The missile hit the original location and of course missed.

Then after that it was completely different - I was hit and crashed - whereas in the original mission - played out to the end with no hits.

Smoke stacks are a good way to judge the wind

Isn't there also a way to have the PVI-800 display the wind? Is it currently working? If so are there any limitations?

I remember trying to use it before and it just showed 0. Maybe winds were calm at that time?

Toast

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. and When All Else Fails, Aviate More :pilotfly:

• 3 weeks later...
I tried it again today.

Was steady in a hover and about 6 km away - first 2 went haywire and the 3rd hit.

Point is - I was steady, locked and about 6 km away - that should be a guarantee hit - or at least hit close by. The misses I have are way off.

I fire manually! Not auto.

When targeting are your two round targeting HUD markers overlapping each other? If in a steady hover, I usually swing my tail around, hold position with my rudder pedals, re-target lock.

FIRE!

Works for me. I usually am on MP, quite often the 104th server, Red side. Missile rides the Laser beam to target.

How-to instructions are in the flight manual.

Don't know how many people know this: Using the Shkval in flight, click AP Route Mode on the Collective, click the two push buttons "Auto Turn On Target" and "Ground Moving Target". I'm still in Manual fire. In-Flight, I can acquire the target by looking around quite aways out. Copter moves to the targeting box in-flight while moving changing direction as I move the cursor targeting box. It will actually over-ride the current active waypoint in memory. Fly right to target, lock it and fire missile outside of range while moving to it. A bit nervy if its a Tor or similar. I'm moving to target outside of range, missile is on its way, by the time it hits the acquired target, I am in range within 8 KM and kill the target. It gets more complicated if you wish to survive very long in a hostile environment. Afterwards, after the target kill, need to know how to jump out of "AP Route Mode" to "Flight Director" in free-flight and lose altitude and position quickly and get out of the hostiles line of detection. I still hit my target, every time!

Somebody said they found the Ka-50 not very exciting.

How aggressive do you fly? LOL!

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I tried it again today.

(Re: Message #4)

I concur.

Now, I see what you mean.

DCS World Stable version 1.5.3. Was on the 104th's server, Blue side, Ka-50, wee hours this morning about 3AM Eastern Time Zone. My 2nd outing out, no damage, about 6km out from Tor and tanks near the bridge on the way to waypoint 2. Waypoint 1 was still active, almost all ground targets negated.

First few missiles hit no problem. Then noticed in the HUD, target locked, before firing, countdown timer only went about 3 seconds, not the 20 seconds or so needed to hit target. Fired. Vikhr went errant about half way out, dropped hit ground, and exploded. Happened repeatedly about 6 times.

Been resetting Laser with the lower front dash reset button after each kill.

Something wrong with the laser targeting system?

My record, my best with the same requisitioned copter is 5 times out and back with the same Laser and on Multiplayer.

{Gripe: With all the negative crap happening lately, to me, is DCS asking me to go find another sim? A sim where the stuff works properly right out of the box? Hate the idea of spending the big bucks to get Prepar 3D, I think that's my next step in my sim evolution. I have FSX and SuperBug F/A-18 and a few of Cattalino mods. These guys look to be interesting http://vcw-8.com/ }

______________________________FIX__IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

(Re: Message #4)

I concur.

Now, I see what you mean.

DCS World Stable version 1.5.3. Was on the 104th's server, Blue side, Ka-50, wee hours this morning about 3AM Eastern Time Zone. My 2nd outing out, no damage, about 6km out from Tor and tanks near the bridge on the way to waypoint 2. Waypoint 1 was still active, almost all ground targets negated.

First few missiles hit no problem. Then noticed in the HUD, target locked, before firing, countdown timer only went about 3 seconds, not the 20 seconds or so needed to hit target. Fired. Vikhr went errant about half way out, dropped hit ground, and exploded. Happened repeatedly about 6 times.

Been resetting Laser with the lower front dash reset button after each kill.

Something wrong with the laser targeting system?

My record, my best with the same requisitioned copter is 5 times out and back with the same Laser and on Multiplayer.

{Gripe: With all the negative crap happening lately, to me, is DCS asking me to go find another sim? A sim where the stuff works properly right out of the box? Hate the idea of spending the big bucks to get Prepar 3D, I think that's my next step in my sim evolution. I have FSX and SuperBug F/A-18 and a few of Cattalino mods. These guys look to be interesting http://vcw-8.com/ }

______________________________FIX__IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been on the same time on the same server in the KA-50 and had no issues.

Ill Check that.

ISE

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom