Open Source Virtual Reality - OSVR and DCS

wormeaten

Wel i have been updatet the firm ware of my osvr bud now the screen is black and keeps black.

the hardware is reconised as one usb hub, also the software gets an error and the normal program to update the firmware wont load the OSVR any more.

is there a way to reflash the software ?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is this good for dcs or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spectre flaying so much so he don't have time to post some review from real experianced DCS pilot. :music_whistling:

[YOUTUBE]YkQHd1vOFA[/YOUTUBE]

Read comments on this videos

Wel i have been updatet the firm ware of my osvr bud now the screen is black and keeps black.

the hardware is reconised as one usb hub, also the software gets an error and the normal program to update the firmware wont load the OSVR any more.

is there a way to reflash the software ?

I think it is but I'm afraid you are asking this on wrong forum.

Check on OSVR forums or contact OSVR support.

Any info from OSVR users ? I can get osvr very cheap but i need info.

Is there performance problems ? Is there any kind reprojection or asw tech in use in osvr etc ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is there performance problems ?

No, but the visual quality is maybe lower than cv1, have to try

Is there any kind reprojection or asw tech in use in osvr etc ??

Yes, through steamVR (beta), you can use asynchrone reprojection, that work fine, plus the super sampling higher than your graphic card can, and enjoy :pilotfly:

Rgds

Guillaume

Is there performance problems ?

No, but the visual quality is maybe lower than cv1, have to try.

Base on what? HDK2 have better quality lens and screens than CV1 and that is fact. So on what you base claim CV1 have better picture?

Just asking not saying anything.

I can figured out why nobody write real review of HDK2 and now we have several users who just stop writing here after they got it.

Based on some exchange with cv1 owner. Even hdk2 have better hardware, dcs is oculus optimized thus i think the visual result can be better on oculus than osvr even with lower hardware specs.

But to be factual we need a comparison review between both, i had requested than to some youtuber, whitout response.

Rgds

Based on some exchange with cv1 owner. Even hdk2 have better hardware, dcs is oculus optimized thus i think the visual result can be better on oculus than osvr even with lower hardware specs.

No way. Only difference and CV1 optimization could be in more user friendly advantage to CV1 Picture quality no way. Only way for CV1 to be better is if HDK2 failed to run game in full resolution and run it in 1080p to not use this hardware advantage. I don't know is this case because there is no proper information from HDK2 users. If this is the case than even Pimax 4K is better than HDK2 because it is proven that 4K display don't have SDE.

I guess the most important is the display quality and how big the distance between the pixels are. No metter the res, you don't want the sdh to be bigger than the pixels.

Agree. We need proper review for DCS on HDK2 and comparing it with CV1.

There is some review in other games and goes in favor to HDK2 with picture quality. HDK2 still working on head tracking. Here CV1 have clear advantage more in matter of user friendly. HDK2 is pain in the ass to proper set up tracking and still not using all LED HMD have.

No way. Only difference and CV1 optimization could be in more user friendly advantage to CV1 Picture quality no way. Only way for CV1 to be better is if HDK2 failed to run game in full resolution and run it in 1080p to not use this hardware advantage. I don't know is this case because there is no proper information from HDK2 users. If this is the case than even Pimax 4K is better than HDK2 because it is proven that 4K display don't have SDE.
I hadn't try both, thus I can't be categorical. Please take a look on this video:

My english is poor, but I understand the visual experience is better on the CV-1. I've requested to VRvibe a comparaison test between both on DCS World, no response yet.

• 2 months later...

I tried OSVR HDK2 today...... it's bad.

Hey guys. Today I tried out the Razer OSVR HDK2 for the first time and I was shocked at how bad it was.

The headset suffered badly from the lack of a low persistence display. Any time you turn your head it was shocking judder.

Oculus DK2 is much much better than HDK2. I would advise to steer well clear of this one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

There is a major upgrade of the tracking just released two days ago. The previous version is just horrible.

But the steamVR OSVR component must be updated too, this is a question of days. The problem of the HDK2 is not the persistence of the displays.

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

There is a major upgrade of the tracking just released two days ago. The previous version is just horrible.

But the steamVR OSVR component must be updated too, this is a question of days. The problem of the HDK2 is not the persistence of the displays.

Yes simply HDK2 have better specs than Rift display supporting full RGB 4:4:4 chroma compared with 4:2:2 chroma on Rift display. This is tehnical specs and no one can convincing me with his subjective opinion.

Also fact is that HDK2 tracking is not near good as Rift. I don't know about changes because I don't own one and there is no proper review out there to judge and no much facts especially related to DCS.

I don't factorizing anyone but Rift is not perfect either. It is overpriced half product.

Well if the rift is half product how osvr is a full one? It simply does not work and cost $400 which is not cheap for something that the only thing can do is to collect dust.

You obviously not listen what I'm talking about. I was say on other zhread that to me is look as OSVR in serious problem if its not dead at all. But problem OSVR got coming from Oculus not from OSVR quality.

Oculus is forcing his own standards so here in VR we got situation similar like it was with TrackIR and Freetrack.

Sorry but I can't respect company or product who sell their soul to the devil betraying everything they was claim in the beginning. It is simple. how much was cost DK1 and DK2 whose production cost much more than CV1. CV1 should be lower price than DK2 and we got opposite situation.

It is in our interest as consumers to have one general standard for VR so let the Oculčus compete with VR rivals based on product quality not based on dirty play blocking true pushing own standards without sharing it. It is called monopoly.

Ngreedia at least have best GPUs even they are greedy company and overprice they products but they have best and who don't like it can buy cheaper AMD GPU. But they don't lie or trying to stop competition.

Right now Oculus is doing opposite and in fair competition HDK2 or Vive and especially Pimax will have much advanced hardware and probably took a lot of market.

After researching a lot start to be disappointed because Oculus is biggest threat and breaks for VR progress in general. Today we are already have lot of VR technology available so we could have 4K per eye dual screen, 210° FOV without SDE which will work better on 8K than today rift is working.

HDK2 is a true developper HMD. You'll have to open it in order to upgrade the IR firmware for example.

The display should be at the same level that Vive or Rift. But it have a diffuser film (the idea is to reduce SDE) that you can remove (not too difficult to do).

The lenses are maybe better than the Rift or the Vive, but they may dig into your nose.

the HMD is heavier.

The tracking is starting to work now, but is still not perfect yet with steamVR.

Keep away from it if you do not want to open it and do not want to spend more time to make it work than playing with.

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

I don't want to protect oculus or something it is just the only one that is currently working pretty much fine.

I can't see why blame oculus for pimax failing to produce 6dof tracking and fairly comfortable headset. Yes, it is cheaper but it just lack so many. It might have a little sharper image but it is uncomfortable, heavy, cheaper made, has only 3 dof tracking and many more flows, it is basically useless, so paying 350 for something unusable is more expensive than 600 for something that works. Also note that oculus gives you xbox controller and remote control.

Pretty much the same goes for osvr and it is even more expensive and useless.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't want to protect oculus or something it is just the only one that is currently working pretty much fine.

I can't see why blame oculus for pimax failing to produce 6dof tracking and fairly comfortable headset. Yes, it is cheaper but it just lack so many. It might have a little sharper image but it is uncomfortable, heavy, cheaper made, has only 3 dof tracking and many more flows, it is basically useless, so paying 350 for something unusable is more expensive than 600 for something that works. Also note that oculus gives you xbox controller and remote control.

Pretty much the same goes for osvr and it is even more expensive and useless.

Who say is useless and why? OSVR and Pimax didn't fail. They are usable even Pimax have better potential than CV1. They got only 3DoF right now but they working on 6DoF and working on DP 1.4 conection which will allow 4K native resolution on 60Hz.

This are based on tech specs not subjective impression. CV1 is advanced only in one thing, positional tracking, every other aspect is much expensive and inferior product.

Oculus in fair competition with his product will not have chance. Your only argument is Rift is working but check why. Even Vive need to fool computer it is Rift just like everyone else. This is not standard.

We need general standard in VR not Oculus as standard. That is for our benefit and right now Oculus slowing down progress of VR.

Wit experience as pioneer in VR field they should be leader in developing new technology not in dirty games behind scene slowing down progress of VR.

Whatever the reason vive and oculus are the only one fully usable currently. I would love to pay 300 or more for pimax or whatever other vr that works for my needs. Currently neither pimax or osvr does, so for me spending money on them doesn't make sense. I want to enjoy vr now as I do last year and don't want to wait indefinite amount of time for whatever reason to enjoy something I can do now.

There is no such thing as overpriced, if something is selling and makes profit the price is good. People pay 700 euro for a simple Iphone, I have a Chinese for 150 because it works and spend the rest for the rift. 500 euro for such technology and the fun it brings me is not such drama.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree Metzger, the VIVE for me was well worth the money when compared to many other things people hapily shell out for.

I'm betting though in a few years thanks to all these cheap attempts now, VR techonolgy will be very cheap and all this exclusivity will go out the window.

Not sure VR is a market Oculus can tame in a way they seem to think they can because VIVE and steam will keep the marketplace open and so all these cheap headsets will be usable.

I think Oculus are short sighted as so long as steam exists when these cheaper headsets from China and other places actually start getting better (and they will) nobodies going to want to lock themselves into the occulus platform when to do so would mean paying much higher prices for a headset.

I wonder if VIVE even care about headsets in the long term, they must have realized that sooner or later HMD are going to be very cheap and everywhere, and where then will people go? To steam where everyone is welcome or Oculus where the price of admission is a diffrent headset. Only choice Occulus will have is to drop prices.

Even though right now the market is pretty equal in the end -and pretty soon I think- Oculus will have to go up against steam and all these cheaper HMD's that can be used on the open platform steam will provide. VIVE wins because VIVE is steam.

Cant help wondering what it is Oculus want from the VR market. I guess they will eventually go into a very exlusive social media side of things cause I cant really see them competing with steam for games and that particular side of the VR market.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I tried the HDK2 back at E3, played a sit down game, with no movement, was a really crappy clone of Rocket League. I got sick after playing for 10 minutes, again, with no movement. I couldn't put my finger on why, but the SDE was huge, and having just used the Oculus the difference in clarity was obvious (Oculus being way better)

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

I tried the HDK2 back at E3, played a sit down game, with no movement, was a really crappy clone of Rocket League. I got sick after playing for 10 minutes, again, with no movement. I couldn't put my finger on why, but the SDE was huge, and having just used the Oculus the difference in clarity was obvious (Oculus being way better)

I'm asking again, based on what facts?

This is all based on subjective individual impression. If we implement same principals to all VR sets in that case Pimax is the best because there is no SDE and have best picture so stop glorify Rift as some God. So if we compare CV1 with Vive and DK2 CV1 have smolest SDE but most blurred picture because they using plastic film to reduce SDE same as HDK2 but not Vive and DK2 which have more sharp picture but increased SDE.

So answer me how same thing is good when it is implement by oculuc and is bad when it is implement by OSVR even on better quality display?

Why I cant respect OR? OR cost in production way less than 100$ and low tech is built in. For example EDtracker is based on way better sensors and if you buy it as individual parts for build it is around 10$ but is you buy it for production this price could drop in quantity on just 2$ per piece.

Here is example of really cheep VR based on crappy old 720p mobile.

Video made by my friend Bobby who tested with some DIY VR and it is true lens recording by mobile phone camera..

This is VR under 80$ made by this parts:

VR Box

LG Optimus 4X HD P880

EDtracker

Remotr

I'm not favoring any of this VR and completely agree with Wolf8132.

HDK is Hacker Development Kit so as the name say it is not final consumer product and it is depending on individual set up and if you are not ready to invest some time and knowledge do not buy HDK2 but be fair reach CV1 results with HDK2 is doable. But personally I don't like OSVR because they focus to copy OR CV1 same as Vive. I will more like that HDK2 was upgraded with single 2560x1440 704PPI single display. Results will be much better.

Best performanse VR today is 3Glasses Blubur S1 but.

It is based on 2560x1440 704PPI single display conected true Display Port which give you best performance and it is not depending on HDMI.

But don't purchase it because there is no proper support or compatibility.

This Chinese HMD shows there is proper technology already exist and only what is block it from proper use is general VR standards and only one who is blocking progress of VR is Oculus who is forcing his product based on third part outdated cheep hardware available to everyone.

Only advantage of OR is plug and play product but the way it is reach in not fair and it is not good in general for proper progress of VR in general.