Open Source Virtual Reality - OSVR and DCS

wormeaten

As I understand guys major factor for SDE is PPI which should be improved.

HDK 1 = 400 PPI and HDK 2 = 440 PPI. Similar like DK2 vs CV1.

RGB should increase picture quality so cockpit instruments should be more readable than on CV1 and not effecting on SDE what could be advantage to OSVR over CV1/Vive DCS users.

I'm only interested how this will impact on DCS nothing else. Point is DCS is demanding so what work the best in DCS will work good on other VR stuff as well.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that ppi is not that important.

i.e. smaller screen have higher ppi than larger screen with the same resolution.

Screen size is not the most important factor in VR, if you have larger screen you'll just have to place it further away.

What you need to worry is resolution (the number of pixels) and FOV (how much you have to stretch those pixels).

Pentile is more or marketing scam imho, and it might not be noticeable on 5" phone when you are looking at it from 1m away, that's probably 2-5 deg. FOV.

When same screen is stretched over 110 deg fov, the lack of subpixels is clearly visible.

Razer OSVR HDK 2 Virtual Reality Headset a new video

$400.00 UsD and open-source,

I wonder if DCS will be able to accommodate this new headgear? Less expensive than Oculus.

Flyby out

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

DCS is on list for supported games on HDK 1.4 so must be on HDK 2 too.

??? Can you link that list?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Not sure about the list, but they've just announced 5 million dollars development fund, so I hope ED will contact Razer and talk about a native port.

http://www.osvr.org/blog/?p=183

http://www.osvr.org/fund.html

HDK2 looks like will be the VR headset with best picture quality so far (it has RGB pixel arrangement) and should make a great headset for DCS!

(reading text should be much easier than on Vive-CV1)

Edited by dot

To illustrate the issue about sub pixels, I've sketched a short two slide presentation :)

(for fun I've also added two mobile phones to this comparison)

curent_state_of_subpixels_in_VR.jpg

subpixel_comparison.jpg

Edited by dot

To be fair,

Those Phones do not operate anywhere near 90Hz.

And the Actual Arrangement of the SubPx has an effect on the SDE just as much as the Sub Px Count, not to even mention overall PX Size / Density.

If it was simply a case of Sub PX, the DK2's

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Yeah, I've just added them to see what we can hope for in the future.

I disagree about differences between pixel arrangement and subpixel count.

Every HMD has some kind of difussor to hide the space between pixels, however, when you have no subpixel, then nothing can help you, the thing that should emit light is just not there :)

Take your pentile HMD and look at any solid color except green and you'd see the infamous pentile screendor effect, dark spots with no color, or completely wrong color.

[ame]

[/ame]

Also, with text, sometimes the nearest blue or red pixel, is one pixel away! which looks absolutely awful in VR!

RGB should at least fix that, so I'm really happy that HDK2 is coming out next month.

Unfortunately I can't find it anymore but I was definitely on some page with latest compatibility list OSVR GitHub or Wiki or something. And Steam VR is working so DCS should work.

Build in pixel density in DCS work for CV1 as well for Vive so must working for OSVR as well.

Also there is some free app which work as Oculus Rift emulator so your OSVR should be recognized as Rift.

Compatibility shouldn't be a problem at all.

Edit:

Found it and here is the links.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OSVR/wiki/content

Edited by wormeaten

Also there is some free app which work as Oculus Rift emulator so your OSVR should be recognized as Rift.

Where is this or what is it called?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

As soon as I can get a headset with a higher res and reasonable tracking & optics I am leaving the vive in the living room for roomscale, high res is staying in the pit. Screen-door be dammed, give me a reasonable resolution. (Dear Santa...)

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

As soon as I can get a headset with a higher res and reasonable tracking & optics I am leaving the vive in the living room for roomscale, high res is staying in the pit. Screen-door be dammed, give me a reasonable resolution. (Dear Santa...)

I suspect that when the, hopefully much better all around, second gen headsets hit the market, a significant number of first gen owners are going to upgrade. Ebay will be loaded with used CV1's, Vive's, etc.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'm keeping mine for the local vr museum in 2060.

I have enough stuff for my own computer museum. The CV1 will display nicely outside of the holodeck. :D

I suspect that when the, hopefully much better all around, second gen headsets hit the market, a significant number of first gen owners are going to upgrade. Ebay will be loaded with used CV1's, Vive's, etc.

I've jumped off the hype train and sold my DK2 and CV1 few weeks ago.

I'm just not impressed with god rays and pentile displays.

(I was going to wait for 2nd gen or massive price drop).

OSVR is a lot cheaper than CV1 or Vive and has 50% more red and green subpixels (basically has double the resolution in red and blue color space, and no fresnel lens) so I'm really happy to get cheaper and better HMD so soon!

:)

OSVR is a lot cheaper than CV1 or Vive and has 50% more red and green subpixels (basically has double the resolution in red and blue color space, and no fresnel lens) so I'm really happy to get cheaper and better HMD so soon!

:)

Did you preorder HDK2 or you waiting firs public testing?

Good thing with OSVR is they sell you upgrade package so you can upgrade from 1.x to 2 for example.

I wouldn't rely on this,

Last I checked, Oculus was Working to Block Re-Vive/ 3rd Party headsets from using their API via Wrapper.

So Dont expect OSVR to work w/ Oculus Libraries.

It may work now, but Oculus Doesnt want it too, unless something has changed between Oculus and Razor.

The OSVR 2.0 also has smaller tracking area, which IMHO wont effect Sit down Sim Users (Flight, Space, Driving etc).

The only issue you'd have is tracking, you can render to the screens easily without SteamVR or OculusVR APIs, however you will need software to feed the Tracking Data in a 1:1 ratio

Edited by SkateZilla

HDK2 is not available to order yet, but it should be shipping next month.

Thankfully, I've made all my VR purchases on Steam so I don't really care what happens with Oculus and their store.

Hopefully Steam integration will work well with this headset, but I hope ED will take a bit of that development fund and make a nice port :)

I have a cv1 on order expected to arrive in August so i'll wait for reviews on this. Am I right in thinking that it has no sensors on the rear strap?

intel i7 6700k overclocked to 4.6, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard, Asus strix 1080, Max flight stick(modded), MFG Crosswind pedals.

I have a cv1 on order expected to arrive in August so i'll wait for reviews on this. Am I right in thinking that it has no sensors on the rear strap?

Just read it does have a rear sensor.

intel i7 6700k overclocked to 4.6, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard, Asus strix 1080, Max flight stick(modded), MFG Crosswind pedals.

Yes HDK2 has rear leds for tracking

[ame]

[/ame]

1:43