Tests with Oculus CV1 and a GTX 1080 pixel density

WindyTX

Originally I said the GTX 1080 was waste of money but was asked to do some tests with Pixel Density.

I wrote at the end of my original post as well. Mods feel free to delete this new thread but I thought it may be of interest on its own.

OK I ran some tests. 1.53 latest beta

Settings All set low preset then I changed

Medium Textures

Medium Visible Range

MSAA 4

Anti aliasing Off

Clutter minimum and Trees at 1500

Flat Shadows

1st on F15c instant action ( I used this because the Vive hated this one and

Pixel 2.0 I got 90-45-30fps for 95% dropped to 10 FPS as the bombs hit the airfield.

Card ran up to 100% during that time and was averaging nearly 50% so about 15% more utilization.

Pixel 0 results were almost the same frame rate wise just less utilization still dropped to 10 FPS and maxed out the Card .

I could see no perceptible difference in the cockpit.

Ran 2.0 on A10c instant action wow I can read the hud. Frame rates stuck at 45-90fps Utilization of the 1080 was running around 60% around the town.

When I fly the A10c I will definitely be increasing the pixel density it looks to be an almost no cost Item with a GTX 1080

Multiplayer on the 104th server Frame rates 30-90 no judder looked great Pixel 2.0 and on looking more carefully even the F15c was clearer shame I cant read Russian for the SU27

Overall it was a great VR time especially in the A10c with Pixel density 2.0

I have been using VR for 2 years and to finally be able to read the A10 HUD was a godsend.

The only Judder I got was when the bombs hit the Airfield May have maxed out my Processor.

Edited by WindyTX
Added Multiplayer comments

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I do belive, you are suffring because of your CPU. Look at my spec, I got no jitter, and run max textures high range, and medium shadows...

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

Hi Andrew!

i assume you are not running your GtX 1080 in Pci-e 3.0 x16 mode, are you? You may check via GPU-Z tool.

Edited by JaBoG32_Prinzartus

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

Just checked my motherboard says PCIE 3.0 ready I may need to upgrade my Bios as its running at 2.0

Doh my chip only supports PCIe 2.0.

DK2 is a lot easier to run than Cv1 I had to lower stuff when I got it going. I will try some higher settings though as of now Pixel density 2.0 is the winner.

Edited by WindyTX

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Cheers andrew it was me that asked for the pixel test

Although I think maybe 2.0 is a tad high, 1.7 is enough for me

Hey make sure you put an over clock on your CPU pretty sure you can run higher providing you have good cooling , makes all the difference especially now you have a monster gpu

Air cooled only so I found I got unstable above 4.2.

Board and chip are nearly 4 years old though so its past time but the thing has been so reliable I have stuck with it. It is certainly getting to its final year tho :)

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

GTX 1080 Has its uses

3930k is fine, get a corsair cpu cooler or if you're game go with open loop and.clock that baby a little higher. As long as your board runs stable voltages you should be good up to 4.6ghz.

I believe there's no definitive tests as yet that show measured cpu bottlencking as yet, which includes Intel 5th gen.

Gamers nexus was to run some tests on 10 series after Computex

Current Flight Rig

i7 4960X @ 4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Formula

G.SKILL TridentX 2400Mhz 32GB DDR3

Crucial 1TB MX300 SSD

MSI Gaming X 1080Ti

Samsung 55" JS8000 SUHD 4K

Windows 10 x64

TrackIR 5, Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

Custom Akers-Barnes, MkI eyeball.

Is the VR update out already?

You can tweak it by using Oculus Debug Tool.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You can tweak it by using Oculus Debug Tool.

I am on the Vive here :cry:

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

I am on the Vive here :cry:

Ah...Well, in that case, let's hope the support that ED is putting in is universal and not Rift specific.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 2 weeks later...

Ran high settings flat shadows msaa 2 anti aliasing 4 pixel density 2.0 managed to get 100% utilization of the GTX1080 occasionally, but the ATW was working hard and saw occasional frame rates of 23/30 usually 45 sometimes 90 tho' no Judder. Not sure where the best balance is. Can read all the guages now. Did some dogfighting in the 16AGR sometimes lost the aspect of the target and lost tally in the blue but its usable at these settings.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I do belive, you are suffring because of your CPU. Look at my spec, I got no jitter, and run max textures high range, and medium shadows...

I'm surprised you got such good performance on ATI/AMD R9 290X.

That means we should take seriously in consideration RX 480 8GB for 230$.

When RX 490 get out will kick ass for 300$.

I'm curious about real gameplay benchmarks.

One thing, among lots of tweaks, that helped me a lot is the ClockBlocker. Because I found that my card was downclocked during flight. So insteed of the clock rate going up and down, I now have a steady clock speed.:thumbup:

Anotherthing is ofc heat... Cool down your card as hard as you can....

last but not least.... OC your card... and plz do take the time to do it right, or you probl end you with less power than before OC...

Edited by Fab

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

how do you increase the pixel density. I got my CV1 yesterday and the A10 dials are unreadable?

I have the EVGA GTX 1080

many thanks

Mith

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

many thanks, ill test this when i get home. I am supprised though that this is required, why doesnt Oculus detext which card you have and set this setting accordingly. but thanks for the infomration

Cheers Myth

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

Surprised also. I have the same videocard and an I5 4690K @ 4.3 ghz and I can only afford to set textures to medium, visible distance to medium, trees to 5500 and everything else turned down/ off. Fps is often at 45 fps which is very playable but from a hardware standpoint, not impressive.

Edited by RagingBunny

Hi all

I'll be getting a gtx 1080 tomorrow

Hoping for a super smooth DCS experience ( in CV1 )

I think we must keep pixel density to the minimum possible but high enough for

A fairly decent image = 1.4 ??

Really hoping that a DCS update will increase utilisation of this new monster gpu hardware

Any tips to reduce those annoying micro-load pauses when flying in close to a new town ?

According to the latest video from Wags, the support for VR will be for both Rift and Vive, so you should be able to alter pixel density for the Vive too, but until we get the update, it will not be possible to say whether that Vive support is a future intention, or something we will see right away.

We can only wait and see what comes, and hope.