F-14 Cockpit and instrument dimensions

punk

Greetings,

Thank you so much to Humble for your structural model. I took the liberty to move forward, and after a lot of struggle, I found a quick way to extract and quote the drawings in Inkscape automatically, with proper dimensions. If you'll allow me, I am sharing these, so that it can save others some time. Please note, I have not extracted some minor parts that I will  cut and adjust during the installation. Also, some parts will not be used in my lighter cockpit, so I have not quoted them. But I share the way to do it below, it is very fast.

Also, I have included an estimation of the wood necessary. Basically 2 rooms size in total surface 🙂 🙂 🙂.

And last, as my plan is to re-use a high quality picture as a 1st step for panels, I have included the scaled picture (previsously mentionned in this thread). The screenshot is low resolution, but the principe to re-size the image remains the same.

If you see some issues, don't hesitate to come back to me, I'll appreciate it.

Thanks

JAR

IDEA : how to quote drawings in Inkscape

-------------------------------------------

On an easy object, transform object into path. Then apply effect on path. Select "measures". => This will quote all lines of the path.

On a complex object, draw a path from scratch, along the object perimeter. You may want to use magnetism and be faster. Then same method apply effect on path. Select "measures".

For angles, use the "measure" tool. Unfortunately, you can mark the length this way, but not the angle, so write it down manually (I have not done it so far, I will when starting the cutting part).

Adjust the display via the options in the "measures" menu.

Sometimes, dimensions are incorrect (they are displayed in inches but state millimeters). Just change the scale with 25.4 (or 1/25.4).

Panels scale 1-1.svg 2. BOM.xlsx Main drawings.zip

• Like 6

On 10/18/2018 at 1:02 AM, Cobra847 said:

Hey guys,

I've uploaded a few of the major front cockpit parts at the link below:

http://media.heatblur.se/F-14_B_Cockpit_Dimensions.rar

License: non-commercial, personal-use only. We encourage you to share any models you make based on these.

Hope it helps! Units are 1 unit = 1.0m

I know I’m many years late but this forum is really helping me plan on building my F14 simpit. This link does not work anymore (at least for me), do you mind sending a new one? These dimensions would be quite useful. I appreciate anything Cobra! 

First switches are in, a shift register is stored away as well, but still needs the wiring. Will be tight.

Whole thing came apart today to adjust, and reseat everything.

Only one broken part so far, already printing again.

20240224_154648.jpg

Need to work on the detents though. The current ones seem to be wrong and don't work very well.

That should be hopefully easy to do, just need to adjust the original file. I hope

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I will use slightly different Throttle Gates now.

The ones I changed resemble more what I see in game, rather than the real thing. I will try them first (currently printing) and then decide if I will prefer them, or the more true to life ones.

null

image.png

• Like 3

On 2/17/2024 at 1:13 AM, Jar72 said:

Greetings,

Thank you so much to Humble for your structural model. I took the liberty to move forward, and after a lot of struggle, I found a quick way to extract and quote the drawings in Inkscape automatically, with proper dimensions. If you'll allow me, I am sharing these, so that it can save others some time. Please note, I have not extracted some minor parts that I will  cut and adjust during the installation. Also, some parts will not be used in my lighter cockpit, so I have not quoted them. But I share the way to do it below, it is very fast.

Also, I have included an estimation of the wood necessary. Basically 2 rooms size in total surface 🙂 🙂 🙂.

And last, as my plan is to re-use a high quality picture as a 1st step for panels, I have included the scaled picture (previsously mentionned in this thread). The screenshot is low resolution, but the principe to re-size the image remains the same.

If you see some issues, don't hesitate to come back to me, I'll appreciate it.

Thanks

JAR

IDEA : how to quote drawings in Inkscape

-------------------------------------------

On an easy object, transform object into path. Then apply effect on path. Select "measures". => This will quote all lines of the path.

On a complex object, draw a path from scratch, along the object perimeter. You may want to use magnetism and be faster. Then same method apply effect on path. Select "measures".

For angles, use the "measure" tool. Unfortunately, you can mark the length this way, but not the angle, so write it down manually (I have not done it so far, I will when starting the cutting part).

Adjust the display via the options in the "measures" menu.

Sometimes, dimensions are incorrect (they are displayed in inches but state millimeters). Just change the scale with 25.4 (or 1/25.4).

Panels scale 1-1.svg 891.79 kB · 22 downloads 2. BOM.xlsx 14.43 kB · 15 downloads Main drawings.zip 643.88 kB · 19 downloads

Hi @Jar72 , Thanks  a lot for your ZIp of the wonderful mumble JOB 

But some files are missing, i'm cutting the wood to start my second simpit, but the windshield main frame is missing along with the side of the bottom part of the ejection seat , do you have those drawning please ?

Moving forward, piece for piece.

Can't say that I consider plastic the best material for the stem, but at least that way one can simulate detents.

Currently printing a new left throttle stem, since it is the third one breaking. I narrowed it down to a wrong printing orientation, since the other one is way more stable.

20240312_150252.jpg

• Like 1

Moving forward, piece for piece.

Can't say that I consider plastic the best material for the stem, but at least that way one can simulate detents.
Currently printing a new left throttle stem, since it is the third one breaking. I narrowed it down to a wrong printing orientation, since the other one is way more stable.
20240312_150252.thumb.jpg.1a7c4f7d63b1f34608ad09267c02afb4.jpg
When it's perfect. Can't you make a mold and cast it?

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 12:26 AM, Lt_Jaeger said:

I will use slightly different Throttle Gates now.

The ones I changed resemble more what I see in game, rather than the real thing. I will try them first (currently printing) and then decide if I will prefer them, or the more true to life ones.

null

image.png

Can you share the .stl for your modified throttle gates? Thanks!

20 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

When it's perfect. Can't you make a mold and cast it? emoji6.png

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Most probably it will sit in the corner.

I still don't know how to integrate it in my current setup. Mounting it will need some deep thinking during a bunch of sleepless nights. 🙄

• Like 1

Off to the last big issue, the controller. I bet that will take a little longer. Not necessarily the wiring but rather the adjustment / synchronization of the axis and stuff.

20240314_074832.jpg

Edited by Lt_Jaeger
  • Like 3

On 3/9/2024 at 5:11 PM, BULLITT83 said:

Hi @Jar72 , Thanks  a lot for your ZIp of the wonderful mumble JOB 

But some files are missing, i'm cutting the wood to start my second simpit, but the windshield main frame is missing along with the side of the bottom part of the ejection seat , do you have those drawning please ?

Hi @Bullitt83,

Indeed, I had not included the windshield for 2 reasons. I prioritized the "functional" structure, and the quotation is very hard I guess. Here are the files.

For the side of the bottom part of the ejection seat missing, I believe I have included everything needed to rebuild the seat. Which part exactly are you referring to ? Could you do a screenshot of the model and circle what is missing please?

Thanks

JAR

Windshield.svg

• Like 1

Hey, what constants do you guys know in this cockpit? I was thinking the panels were the standard 146.05mm wide but they don't seem too consistent when I messed around in modelview coupled with fusion. I was looking at the sketchup files but they don't seem to agree with each other. Do we know the width of the fishbowl edge to edge or the ejection seat or the width of the rudder pedals apart? Is the heatblur model off?

I was about to draw up a rio radar panel but then got sidetracked in the front cockpit. Are these panels the classic 146.05mm wide?

Screenshot 2024-03-21 123033.png

Screenshot 2024-03-21 124511.png

Screenshot 2024-03-21 133422.png

Also, while I'm at it, does anyone know the argument to get rid of the rio's body?

Screenshot 2024-03-21 134556.png

After much faff I figured that using 19.7 inches for the width of the ejection seat does a good job and lines up the width of the panels close enough so I'll extrapolate from there.

I saw this picture earlier in the thread and must have scrolled past the link to buy his scans so I'll put it here for anyone in posterity

https://up-ship.com/blog/?p=11833

I bought them and he emailed me the HD versions within half an hour even though the website looked abandoned

adwg55ad.jpg

• Like 1

@Trainman what sort of CNC do you have access to? 

Depending on what CNC you are working with will depend on the file you need. 

For my Maslow, I converted the SVGs to gcode specifically for the Maslow, then cut them out. 

You are probably best off going to the shop that's going to cut it for you, and see what they need file wise. They should probably take SVGs or DXF files at a guess. 

@BULLITT83 That's looking fantastic dude! You happy with it so far?

@Jar72 Thanks for putting those together my man. Owe you one. 

I haven't had a chance to do a lot with mine recently, but should crack out the laser cutter shorty to start doing some basic panel work.

Cheers,

Mumbles

• Like 1

@AusMumbles very good question.  Right now I am working with a mate to do finalise the conversion and compiling.  I converted the svg files to dxf and he is going to run them through 'çypcut' software to tidy up files.  But he isn't local, so I will take those files to another mate with a CNC machine.

I am a complete novice regarding CNC, so anything could happen. 😀

Thanks

• Like 1