F-14 Cockpit and instrument dimensions

punk

16 hours ago, DanPDX said:

Hi TomVR,

Did you ever make more progress with this, or did it stagnate?

Ended up scoring a real tornado GR4 grip (very similar to the harrier and F-18) at a great price, so now I am working on making a stick with a real steel part, so abandoned my F-14 ambitions for now

Edited by TomVR

• 2 months later...
On 6/4/2016 at 4:56 AM, punk said:

Greetings,

I know there are many of you who are much more clever than I about how to track down the research needed for all the various dimensions of not only the overall interior cockpit area dimensions, but the various instrument and panel dimensions. I have been drawing a blank and making rough estimates based upon the standard width of the various left and right side panels as a constant for beginning to estimate the correct dimensions. I am trying to build a sim pit and want to get as much realism as I can. Any sources or first hand knowledge would help. I messed up my chance to sit in the cockpit and video various measurements, but in the scramble to take it all in, hurry to not stall the long line of those waiting after me and a general amount of excessive levels of cranial O2 I seem to have made the untimely sin of putting the recording settings into standby rather than record mode. Kicked my own posterior when I got back home and discovered this bit of subversion by my subconsciousness. Thanks for your time and/or consideration.

<Salute>

Punk

What are you needing? Also what parts are already being reproduced? We have a cockpit. 

Retired Baby!

22 hours ago, Doc Harley said:

What are you needing? Also what parts are already being reproduced? We have a cockpit. 

Man, I lost a hard drive with everything I had collected concerning overall dimensions of the cockpit, so I will have to start from scratch. I have various real instruments and such that I had used to compare measurements and try to get dimensions from. So general dimensions of the instrument panel, side panels seat and interior wall to wall dimensions would help. I am also curious who "we" are and the story of your cockpit.

Salute

8 hours ago, Gunslinger22 said:

Here is my pit, what do you need? 

35AF69B8-3FEE-4634-976F-39567ED6D719.jpeg

6B662F4D-5AF0-4941-846F-9AD508D1B0A4.jpeg

F2786A23-3113-402E-A20D-2BBD7EB03064.jpeg

22EC7190-06DB-42CC-BFDD-CADB1A16BF37.jpeg

Dude, that is sweet. I now know true jealousy... Do you have a build history somewhere? That is a work of  art.

Salute

Edited by punk
  • Like 1

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 hours ago, Doc Harley said:

Actually, what do you need? Also what is everything made from? What grip are you using and throttle?  Are you on instagram?

I don’t need anything thanks, my pit is finally finished! All the panels are hand made by ply and painted. I used 20mm chip board for the structures and worked sheet metal for all the hood and guards. 

Edited by Gunslinger22

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

On 2/13/2021 at 1:52 PM, punk said:

Man, I lost a hard drive with everything I had collected concerning overall dimensions of the cockpit, so I will have to start from scratch. I have various real instruments and such that I had used to compare measurements and try to get dimensions from. So general dimensions of the instrument panel, side panels seat and interior wall to wall dimensions would help. I am also curious who "we" are and the story of your cockpit.

Salute

Dude, that is sweet. I now know true jealousy... Do you have a build history somewhere? That is a work of  art.

Salute

We have the cockpit and RIO sims. We are a non-profit museum. We also have other cockpits. 

• Like 1

Retired Baby!

On 2/14/2021 at 8:52 AM, punk said:

Salute

Salute

Oh no that’s aweful!! You’ve been such a big help to me on my pit! Hopefully it’s easy to get the info back.

On 2/14/2021 at 10:32 AM, Gunslinger22 said:

I don’t need anything thanks, my pit is finally finished! All the panels are hand made by ply and painted. I used 20mm chip board for the structures and worked sheet metal for all the hood and guards. 

dude your pit is awesome! Makes mine look like rubbish! Is your pit fully functional? As in does it work in game? It’s bloody stunning!

Im just putting the finishing touches of stage 2 of my build, I’ll be posting pictures of it on the 10th of March, the 1 year anniversary of its build.

what we need to do is put together a big pack of everything needed to build one, I’ve done so much research and messing around with files and stuff it would be a shame to keep it all for my self,

im more than happy to help out where I can 

• Like 1

Tomcat, Tomcat über allen

On 2/13/2021 at 11:57 PM, Gunslinger22 said:

Here is my pit, what do you need? 

35AF69B8-3FEE-4634-976F-39567ED6D719.jpeg

6B662F4D-5AF0-4941-846F-9AD508D1B0A4.jpeg

F2786A23-3113-402E-A20D-2BBD7EB03064.jpeg

22EC7190-06DB-42CC-BFDD-CADB1A16BF37.jpeg

Can’t stop looking at it, just beautiful, so well done, the detail is just on another level!

Im speechless. 

well done bro. Well done

21 hours ago, PSYKOnz said:

Can’t stop looking at it, just beautiful, so well done, the detail is just on another level!

Im speechless. 

well done bro. Well done

Cheers mate, I’ve tried to make everything as functional as the sim will allow. Both Ejection handles are functional with the seat arm; canopy control handle works accurately; PAL on the sidewall and the fuel shut off handles work. Still waiting on HB to add the bindings for some other things for them to become functional, such as the Master Test and whatnot, but they’re wired and ready to go. 

Some more pics:

698DFE83-37A0-4865-AE31-CF4E398ADE1D.jpeg

189D4D72-AB2B-47F1-ACE4-3D0916726747.jpeg

741B0522-0AAD-49C8-8FC4-4702710C4FC4.jpeg

F886BA79-998D-445C-88B4-68F5A2EA7C25.jpeg

• Like 5

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

4 hours ago, Gunslinger22 said:

Cheers mate, I’ve tried to make everything as functional as the sim will allow. Both Ejection handles are functional with the seat arm; canopy control handle works accurately; PAL on the sidewall and the fuel shut off handles work. Still waiting on HB to add the bindings for some other things for them to become functional, such as the Master Test and whatnot, but they’re wired and ready to go. 

Some more pics:

698DFE83-37A0-4865-AE31-CF4E398ADE1D.jpeg

189D4D72-AB2B-47F1-ACE4-3D0916726747.jpeg

741B0522-0AAD-49C8-8FC4-4702710C4FC4.jpeg

F886BA79-998D-445C-88B4-68F5A2EA7C25.jpeg

Most impressive.

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

Question for who ever can help, what are the dimensions of the canopy jettison handle?

As much detail as possible please 🙂

I've included measurement locations on a picture below

I'm not sure what ill need or wont need but if you could fill them out for me off measurements from your builds that would be awesome

Screen_210224_115455.png

Screen_210224_115521.png

Edited by PSYKOnz

You are looking for rotary encoders, you will need to make the wheels for them.

here’s how I did mine...

the wheel is a bit of 30mm plastic with cable ties glued to it and painted white. My best mate did his with 30mm dowel with zip ties and painted, the hardware is the aforementioned rotary encoder

4F822913-2507-438B-989E-AC530513E2AC.jpeg

On 2/26/2021 at 1:21 PM, AH_Solid_Snake said:

Can anyone help me identify the types of switches used for the lighting and air conditioning selectors? They seem to be some kind of rotary but I don't know what the name would be to search for them.

InkedScreen_210226_191245_LI.jpg

Sorry for poor quality, only have my crappy cell. Will try to add more info when I find my glasses to be able to read these buggers.

Salute,

Punk

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

Edited by punk

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, AH_Solid_Snake said:

Ahh great that helps a lot...so from what im seeing it _is_ a rotary, just mounted at 90 degrees to what i'd expected with a gearing system to move the rotation 90 degrees offset.

Yes, you are correct.

Salute,

Punk

IMG_0051.jpg

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Has anyone done anything with the concentric rotary on the TACAN? I was thinking of doing a TACAN panel, but this one seems to be thing keeping me from moving forward on that panel.

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD