F-14 Cockpit and instrument dimensions

punk

Do some searching through this thread and you will find a goldmine of info that a lot of us have taken a lot of time to find and develop.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Do some searching through this thread and you will find a goldmine of info that a lot of us have taken a lot of time to find and develop.

Yes but i don't see any dimensions for the differents pannels (exept AFCS).

I'd like to do some precise work with solidworks and a Laser cutting machine.

Just like in this video:

But yes, i'm gonna have a closer look through this thread !

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3791442&postcount=195

When you get what you need done, post it here for others to use. Most of what you want is in this forum already.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

• 2 weeks later...
Yes but i don't see any dimensions for the differents pannels (exept AFCS).

I'd like to do some precise work with solidworks and a Laser cutting machine.

Just like in this video:

But yes, i'm gonna have a closer look through this thread !

Hi mate, what I did was scour this thread as recommended... i downloaded all the 3d models people had made in SketchUp and took measurements off those.

HERE: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zcpwd0wslpyhz9n/AABB80XFxD_jBFxvEOXGpGTca?dl=0

F14B

AV8B N/A

F-15C

A-10A

Black Shark 2.0

NTTR, PG

X55 Rhino

FreeTrackNOIR, .

i7 6700k, 16GB, GeForce GTX 970

"A helicopter is a collection of rotating parts going round and round and reciprocating parts going up and down - all of them trying to become random in motion."

Hi guys,

Thanks to all of you that have contributed to this thread thus far... :thumbup:

Like most you, I'm also afflicted with this disease of having to have my own Tomcat.

But I've decided, if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it properly. I have plans to do the full pit including the Rio position, entirely out of aluminium. I want a full metal construction because it's going on a motion platform and I want to keep it as light and rigid as possible as it's going to be around 4.5 meters in length.

I'm using Mumble's pit as a base and am reworking it to work with aluminium plate instead of 7mm ply. It will have a 40mm square tube box frame, which the ribs and other structural components will be riveted to, and then covered with a stressed aluminium skin. Pretty much like an actual aircraft.

However, I'm having some major issues trying to find the dimensions of the rear cockpit... So if any of you boys have throughs stashed away, I'd greatly appreciate being able to nab them off you.

I'll release the full vector cutting list once I've managed to finish everything and have tested a cardboard mockup to weed out any potential issues.

The image below is far from complete but will give you a basic idea of how I want to construct it. The little tabs on the ribs, for instance, will be bent at 90° and used for rivet attachment points. (Stinger locations have yet to be included though)

:pilotfly:

1955410139_BluePrints.thumb.JPG.d511ca129ea518280c80c2ff51a206bf.JPG

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3926013&postcount=233

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3926013&postcount=234

These are a great resource, however in DCS, some of the functions don't mirror reality. The light switches on the right panel, for instance, are done with a 3 way switch. The volume controls on the left rear panel won't work with pots. There may be work arounds to make them work that I don't know about.

I am doing some cleanup wiring on the left panel today and tomorrow. This was the first panel wired. I have found, and did with the right panel, that putting the grounds on a common wire cleans up and makes things much neater and able to make adjustments better.

The biggest learning lesson was do NOT pre-wire your switches with pigtails. It was a complete waste of time and it causes a huge mess. The way to go is to put together a wiring diagram so you can do it right the first time. I thought I was smarter than that and was doing a good thing, not. Food for thought.

Edited by mariner3302

Yeah, don't I know it... Kind of sucks they haven't implemented all the rotary's to work with potentiometers in controls. I think the easiest way around it is to just use rotary encoders when you don't have the option to use a pot. I bought a dozen Mach 3 HID Interface Cards which each have 64 buttons, 4 pots and 4 encoders, which is more than enough for both seats, but you have to use DCS Bios to get the encoders to function though...

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.5a1f2c2d0f007a83c1ef2d03bca5ec3d.jpg

Actually, I meant that the main lighting controls will need a 3 position switch. I bought rotary encoders for them but they wont work with the way DCS controls have them set up.

Also for guarded switches, using a momentary/off/on switch with the guard means you dont have to wire a button to the guard itself.

Ahh, I see. Well, I've got 100 3-way momentary heavy duty toggles I ordered from China, but I've also got about 20 or so rotary selector switches which I was planning on using, however, I see your point. They will only work in one direction. I suppose you could get away with a momentary rotary switch and then laser cut the thumbwheels out of acrylic so you can just repeatably push them left or right... The only problem is I can't find any momentary rotaries anywhere...?

That is just a 3 position switch though. The problem with buildi ng a 1:1 Pit is that the modeling in DCS doesn't match the real thing. That's what happened with the lights.

Have you gotten your wiring schematic together yet? I am rewiring my left panel with single strand 24 gauge wire and moving to a common ground as I did on the right panel. It reduces weight and clutter in a big way.

Yeah... I just want all the physical controls to work. The gauges will just be backlit dummies. No point buying and programming all those Arduino and stepper motors for nothing. I'm having a proper F-14 Throttle quadrant made up with mil-spec switches for $2K and am gonna get Virpils new Tomcat stick when they release it. But I wish my cougar was left-handed now, 'cause I want it for the Lantirn pod stick. Gonna have to figure out a plan there...?

The reason I ask is that my Panels are 1:1 scale.... and they don't match the cockpit quite right. I think this is because of how DCS or anything else draws their cockpits. I don't know. Anyway, everything is in the right places, yes - well close, but I would suggest you lay out cardboard on your panels before drilling holes or placing anything. Then using a pen or marker, go into VR, and then reach for the switch and put a mark. Do this 3 or 4 times in different sessions. Then look at the marks you have made. Now compare them to where you are planning to put the actual switch. The reason is so you can reach for the switch in VR and be able to touch it in the cockpit. I think it is more about where the panels are, not the switches. I am not sure but a real life cockpit won't line up quite right in VR.

What makes this all important is that you want to touch in reality what you see in VR. The problem you will find is that without being able to see your fingertip in VR will lead you to push incorrect controls. There is a way around this. I have a gadget called PointCTRL that puts a mouse on each index finger. Now I can see my finger moving to the control. Exactly like in real life, if you try closing your eyes and touching something, you will miss more than hit it. Same thing in VR.

Edited by mariner3302

Yeah, fortunately, my old man has an automatic box cutter, which will be perfect for making mock-ups. I have made a couple of panels already, but they're generic so I can use them for any aircraft. But I know what you mean about VR. I have to peak sometimes to see what I'm doing... I'll definitely look into PointCTRL though.

I'm reworking the pit plans from scratch myself now because I've found too many discrepancies already. I really want the outer fuselage to be as accurate as possible so it looks like it was hacked right off an actual aircraft.

I actually bought the South African Airforces Atlas Cheetah Simpit back in the early 2000s, which I hooked up to a projector with LOMAC, but my bloody father had it shipped off to my old air school when I was out in the sailing in the middle of the ocean and couldn't protest. Apparently, he didn't want half a jet in the upstairs lounge anymore.

All I left is the harness and parachute from the Martin-Baker. I'd kill for that seat back! Been trying to organise another pair for this project, but it seems the SAAF has a bit of penchant for scrap metal these days because all the decommissioned seats have mysteriously disappeared.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Pilot-Aircrew-seat-C-17-type-II-Airworthy-price-includes-shipping/192894234037

I am selling these. Where are you?

I sailed offshore for 2 years in '05-'07.

Ask to be added to the list and tell Miles I recommended you. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218861

Edited by mariner3302

Ahh, cool. I think I'm just going to build seats though. Want them to look legit... And be pretty light. I'm gonna get a pair of butt-kickers and jetseats for them too, so with the motion platform and VR, it should be pretty epic!

And yeah, I gave up the sailing after going through a CAT 5 in the middle of the South China Sea... In a 38' Cat! Scared the bejesus outta me! Literally almost went down. Took us 3 weeks to limp back to shore on just the jib 'cause the boat was pretty much a wreck afterwards. Even the marble counters were shattered. Oh, and we ran out of food and had to survive on floating coconuts and the odd Dorado I could catch on a rope cause all our tackle went overboard too.

Edited by Ozone1

Yeah, I enjoyed sailing. Kinda like flying hour and hours if pure boredom interspersed with moments of sheer terror. Then all the time fixing stuff. I had a bilge hose start siphoning water back into the boat. Looked down inside, shots floating. Got knocked down once with the mast about 3 feet under water. Threw the stove knob to the other side of the boat so hard they broke circuit breaker levers off. Was trolling a line behind the boat and something huge took it. Broke the pole, a heavy duty 150 lb test roller job with a big Penn reel, off at the pole holder and it skipped across tge water for 100 yards then disappeared. Good times tho lmao

I have shakers and the jetseat. That makes it so real I don't fly with out it anymore. I have played with the idea of building a motion platform but Bergisons G-Seat is what I will do first. I don't think motion will add much after that.

Another thing to think about, make sure and do continuity tests on your switches, buttons, etc.. when you find bad ones, mark them but don't throw them away. There are plenty of controls that are not and will not be modeled so the broken ones make a good use of them.

I probably said this but I would spend time designing and making wiring harnesses. If you are going to build modules that fit into cutouts on a panel then a wiring harness will be a moot point.

Well, I originally was going to build a motion platform, but it will cost me almost as much to make here as I can get one from China. And without the ball ache! (I'm in Cape Town btw) This one is $6560, but he said he'd give me a bit of a discount on it. It's obviously got 6DOF and has a roll and pitch of 30°, a yaw of 40° and half a G of acceleration. Its max load is 800kgs and it can also handle up to a 5m long pit without bashing into the ground.

I wanna make my pit modular so I can eventually do a heli as well and use the same platform... Cause I'm not buying two of them at 6.5 K each.

As to my wiring, I'm going to wire each panel straight to their respective boards directly underneath, then connect them all to USB Hubs. The PC's will be built-in on rubber mounts at each end.

The boards have quick connectors, so I reckon wires will occasionally pop-out from being jolted around by the motion platform so I'm gonna have hinged access pannels so I can quickly get to everything...

Sounds like a solid plan! Damn, wish I hadn't wasted all my dough on women and booze! lol

I have 2 BBI-32 boards plus warthog and sidewinder controller inputs and still only have 2/3 of my switches hooked up so I will be trying this.

https://www.spadnext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12719

• 3 weeks later...

LH Panel coming along. Gonna need a USB hub or 5.

1475481105_myleftpanel1.thumb.jpg.701a635d2192c263a049e5efaca51d59.jpg

509065044_myleftpanel2.thumb.jpg.b0aebd99db3441f7757f6cd04dee5a3d.jpg

F14B

AV8B N/A

F-15C

A-10A

Black Shark 2.0

NTTR, PG

X55 Rhino

FreeTrackNOIR, .

i7 6700k, 16GB, GeForce GTX 970

"A helicopter is a collection of rotating parts going round and round and reciprocating parts going up and down - all of them trying to become random in motion."